My 3rd used cartridge body so far with a dead channel

If anyone knows for sure what and what is not a proper testing procedure for both MM, MI and MC
cartridges lets hear about it.

The little info I know is not to use an old style needle type meter as this could damage coils.
The use of a digital type meter is ok?

Conrad where are you?

My DVM uses a 9 volt battery. It has yet to blow one. As I said earlier, I only use it to validate what I'm already almost certain of. That I have a blown channel. It has never blown the other one.

That being said, I don't know if I would use it on an MC cartridge. If I ever get one with a blown channel, I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

i will be attempting a 500mkii fix with a dead channel, 538 on one side 0 on the other, i have small solder used on tonearm wires somewhere , and a magnifying glass, cant hurt it now i guess.

I have about two dozen cartridges, 90% of which were purchased used. The only one I have with a dead channel is a brand new Sumiko Oyster.
Did you contact your dealer to have the Oyster repaired or replaced? They do come with a one year warranty.

I've been fortunate so far in never having gotten a cartridge with a dead channel.

Did you contact your dealer to have the Oyster repaired or replaced? They do come with a one year warranty.

I've been fortunate so far in never having gotten a cartridge with a dead channel.

The Sumiko Oyster came with a Pro-Ject turntable I bought new back in the 90's. When I got the turntable, I swapped the Oyster for my V15 V so I didn't realize it was bad until several years later when I mounted it on another turntable. Oh well.

A DMM is safe to use when measuring any type of cartridge as the internal impedance is in the megohm region, so they push very little current through the coil. Analogue meters have much lower impedances in order to drive the meter coil. They're still safe for the high impedances of MM and MI, and even HOMC. They might even be safe for the relatively high impedance coil of a Denon, but I'd be hesitant to try it on any LOMC with a lower coil impedance. A safer bet would be to add a low value resistor (~100+) in series and check for continuity.

Is a cartridge with a dead / open channel worth attempting a fix? I assume it would depend on the desirability of the cartridge. In this case, there is a Shure V15 IV with original stylus (unknown hours / wear, which is another topic of its own) with an "open channel".

Depending on the condition of the stylus, it could be worth it as the price is certainly right. Sounds like it is mostly a gamble, but figured I'd throw a line out to you experts.

EDIT: Looking at the photos again, it appears that one of the terminals / pins at the back of the cartridge sticks out far more than the others. If this is the cause of the dead channel, is it possible (or easy enough) to fix?

Last edited:
I already have one, but am always looking for a bargain.

This has a VN45HE. $100 Canadian for a used stylus and for-parts body might be worth it, depending on the use I can get out of the stylus.

Back
Top Bottom