My Advent Baby IIs are misbehaving

Common issue on these receivers (and many others). For you, the best solution will be to just make sure DAC is off when using other inputs.

DOES THE SELECTOR SWITCH WORK CORRECTLY? Yes or no, please.

EDIT: Can I safely assume you cleaned the selector switch (sprayed it with Deoxit, ideally with a rag or cloth to catch overspray and dripping, and then worked the switch back and forth 20-30 times)? Yes or no please.

Last edited:
If the selector switch is working correctly, are we now back to where we started - with an intermittently weak/flat left channel - or is the left channel now completely dead?

In either case, with power off, pull out the preamp out/main amp in connectors on the rear of the receiver (I assume you cleaned these earlier?), and replace with a short set of interconnect cables.

Connect them as follows: Left channel preamp out to the right channel of the main amp in connections, and right channel preamp out to the left channel of the main amp in connections.

Now, turn on the receiver. Is the problem still in the left channel, or has it moved to the right channel?

Please, no info other than answers to the questions for now.

Common issue on these receivers (and many others). For you, the best solution will be to just make sure DAC is off when using other inputs.

That never happened before the deoxit cleaning, so no, it is not functioning correctly. Also, can anyone explain the complete drop of sound on the left channel now. Before it’d come and go. No it’s dropped 100%.

I'm out.

I would urge you to follow the instructions/directions of those who are willing to help you, and NOT do anything other than directed.

Good luck with it.

EDIT: Can I safely assume you cleaned the selector switch (sprayed it with Deoxit, ideally with a rag or cloth to catch overspray and dripping, and then worked the switch back and forth 20-30 times)? Yes or no please.
Correct, I did EXACTLY that. Prob worked the switch closer to 40 times as it was pretty stiff.

If the selector switch is working correctly, are we now back to where we started - with an intermittently weak/flat left channel - or is the left channel now completely dead?

In either case, with power off, pull out the preamp out/main amp in connectors on the rear of the receiver (I assume you cleaned these earlier?), and replace with a short set of interconnect cables.

Connect them as follows: Left channel preamp out to the right channel of the main amp in connections, and right channel preamp out to the left channel of the main amp in connections.

Now, turn on the receiver. Is the problem still in the left channel, or has it moved to the right channel?

Please, no info other than answers to the questions for now.

The left channel is now DEAD, not weak/flat like before when I originally posted thinking it was an issue with the speakers.
I will try the interconnect cable test when I get home and update with channel info.
Correct, I did remove/clean the RCA jumpers (I believe that's what they're called?) and put them back before powering up for the post-clean test.

Back
Top Bottom