My Altec 345A has returned!

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
So I sent this off to another member for a restore and ensure a long life of service. I'm very happy and can't wait to get it back into service, but I have a few questions.

1) What's the best way to clean the faceplate? I don't want to remove anything (Silk screen) wise.
2) Cleaning the chassis, never dull or something else?
3) I want to have a case, any recommendations of a good way to go?

Just need to track down the matching pre 445A, and I'll be tickled pink.

Pics are to follow soon!

Let's see your pictures!
Good looking gear - I have never seen this amp or pre before.

Too bad you don't have the case. Looks pretty unique to this amp.
But not terribly complex. I would try to get it fabricated. At least get a quote.

$_1.JPG

Another option is get one to match the preamp!
445A_000.jpg

Not too complex to mimic appearance, but you would have to add extensive ventilation.

Be careful around any serial number stamps on the chassis if they look like ink.
The 344a has ink stamped numbers and just blotting them with a damp cloth removed some of the ink.

Yeah I want to find a preamp that matches. I missed out on one before I bought this amp. So I'm always looking for another to show up.

I want to get a factory cage but haven't had any luck finding one.

Yeah the serial is ink stamped and is either 169 or 69. I heard they didn't put many out.

Thanks guys. I'm really excited to get it up. Before I got it I sent it over for a full service and update.

I have a Scott LC-21 that is going to be heading out next for the same treatment.

I want to get a cage and see if I can clean up the face some. I want to be gentle so i don't loose any of the silkscreen.

1) What's the best way to clean the faceplate? I don't want to remove anything (Silk screen) wise.

I've used the following technique to clean vintage painted / silk-screened signs and it works great. Start w/ water and move up in aggressiveness if ineffective. If water doesn't do it, then dish soap, If no go with dish soap, then light machine oil. Use white cloth like a t-shirt so you can see if paint is coming off and barely use any pressure with your fingertip. Don't use a brush and be patient. Always test in a spot where damage won't be noticeable if the agent is too strong. Remove a knob and test around the hole under the shaft nut is where I'd start. Great amp BTW!

Here is my Altec 345A completely restored with factory cage and keeping still strong original Mullard power tubes.

Attachments

• IMG_20170120_020456012_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20170120_020456012_HDR[1].jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 107
Thanks guys. I'm really excited to get it up. Before I got it I sent it over for a full service and update.

I have a Scott LC-21 that is going to be heading out next for the same treatment.

I want to get a cage and see if I can clean up the face some. I want to be gentle so i don't loose any of the silkscreen.

I doubt you'll find an original cage but you can easily make one. I wouldn't try to match the original in looks but if you do be aware that there are channels on both sides of the cage that the sides of the faceplate slide into. Personally I think it looks better without the cage.

This is an oldish thread, but for cleaning vintage gear THE BEST solution is good ole Pledge Spray. I have ruined a few faceplates in the past with water or other sprays. Then I tried Pledge and it has NEVER taken off any paint, yet cleans and shines up the metal like no other. I use on the entire exterior, even the glass looks great without any streaks. You will be amazed at how well it works. As a bonus it’s much cheaper than any of the new very expense solution and your room smells lemony fresh :)

I have the amp and preamp, neither with cases, both with decent faceplates. Tube guy Bryce looked over the pre and replaced a few caps, he now has the amp and I'm looking forwared to hearing the pair together. As for finding the tuner-they're dang rare, and don't have the greatest reputation for performance. Loved the picture of the case above, something to shoot for, I'd guess.

Back
Top Bottom