My amplifier

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Alan0354, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

I am really sorry, I put down $300 thinking about insurance. I never even thought about custom, we never pay custom ordering from China!!!! The boards don't worth that much!!!

Damn, I tried so so hard to save you money, putting in all the one or two values components so you don't have to order one or two. AND then make this mistake. I started a thread here to look for cheaper capacitors!!!!

Can you ask whether there is a way to change that because if you open the box and show them, it is clear it does not worth $300, it's only for insurance!!!!

2. kjello

kjello AK Subscriber Subscriber

Id rather stay a bit longer at work one day than start a war with these guys :D
    Really its OK by me
    Money goes to free education and health care :D
    China on the other hand is considered a less developed country and is toll free and
    trade subsidized
    Thinking about my Hantek oscilloscope wich came from China within 5 days, free shipping and vat,tax free

3. Trojan4Life

Trojan4Life Active Member

In other words-- these are the boards you sent us and the ground planes have been cut.

kjello likes this.
  4. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

Yes. With the resistors in the correct position already.

kjello likes this.
  5. Trojan4Life

Thank you Alan!

6. kjello

Ahhhhrggg !! I want my boards... and my chassis... and my transformer.. and all....:mad:

Alan0354 likes this.
  7. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

I am starting to worry, Dan received it almost a week ago already. And because I want tracking, it was mailed as Express mail. It's really not so express!!!! Did you track where the package is now?

I completed building the amp, power up and ran signal through already. Something strange, there were two "tick" sound, almost sounded like arcing. Everything worked, no smell. I am at a loss. Sounded like from the AC input area, but it's only 110VAC!!!! I just hate that. When I sit and wait, nothing happened, just when I want to move on, then "tick". Just hope I don't have to disassemble the amp, because the chassis is smaller, it's not easy to wire up everything, it's like a 3 hour job. This amp is stuffed.

You really need a big chassis like what Kjell bought and like my first amp.

Complete amp.JPG

Look at this, I can hardly fit my hand to screw the wires onto the output terminals, even putting the input coax and power connector to the IPS section are work.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    kjello likes this.
  8. kjello

September 6, 2017, 10:54 am Arrived SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES
    September 8, 2017, 4:28 am Customs Clearance NORWAY
    September 8, 2017, 2:27 pm Processed Through Facility NORWAY
    September 8, 2017, 8:16 pm Customs clearance processing complete NORWAY
    Your item cleared customs in NORWAY at 8:16 pm on September 8, 2017.

Im not surprised at all

9. kjello

WOW thats crowded, :eek:

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

Yep, I was surprised how much difference that little inch or two in depth makes. I have no problem assembling the first amp, this one is a different story.

I am starting to regret building into this smaller chassis. I actually bought and received the same big chassis as my first amp. I just don't want to waste this smaller chassis as I had it for over two years already. I am saving the big chassis for bigger and better things. I was thinking the smaller amp will be easier to carry out to the store to test speaker and secretly compare with the amps in their store.:naughty::biggrin:

I am dragging it also, the amp is competed, just find where the arc, run the FFT to make sure THD is good and ready for real listening test. I can't handle the truth again......this is it.....is it a beauty or a beast.

kjello likes this.
  11. Trojan4Life

Where exactly is the single point ground?

12. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

On the IPS/VAS Filter board
    OPS IPS_VAS standoff connection.JPG

See the BLUE pen labeled One Pt GND?

This is described in Step 4 to 6 in the Power Supply and Chassis construction RevA. Yes, this is the trickiest part and how I design the board so when you cut the planes(already cut) on the IPS/VAS Filter board and screw onto the OPS Filter board, that becomes the Ont Pt GND.

13. Trojan4Life

Hi Alan,

I understand that part, but I'm wondering where all that is attached to a star ground? You have a wire that goes to somewhere on the chassis?

Thanks,

Dan

14. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

I just draw up a new diagram

One Pt GND.jpg

This is how the One Pt GND is established. I screw a wire that the other side screwed onto the chassis. Also the Earth GND from the wall plug ( separated by R3, D1 to D4) in the AK AMP wiring schematic.

If you look at the IPS/VAS Filter board, you have to put in the two 3pin Molex connectors. These are to provide the GND and +/-V to the IPS/VAS section of the amplifier board. The power and ground of the IPS/VAS is completely isolated from the OPS section. The Molex connectors are the only place that the OPS GND is connected to the IPS/VAS section.

If you look at the amplifier schematic, Page 3 is the IPS/VAS section, the GND and +/-V are totally separated from OPS in page 1 and the speaker protection in page 2.

I need to revise the Power Supply and chassis construction document!!!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  15. Trojan4Life

Hi Alan,

That's what I'm talking about!

Thanks, (again)

Dan

16. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

I even have to update the drawing. Take a look again, I added the two Molex connectors. You have to put them onto the IPS/VAS Filter board, this has to go to the amplifier board.

Also, if you look at the the back of the IPS/VAS Filter board, you need to put in RJ1 and RJ2 to connect the voltage to the Molex connectors. You don't need to have the Molex and the jumpers on the OPS Filter board.

17. Trojan4Life

I'll be able to use the 10000uF 63V caps throughout. There will be enough height on the old amp I am cannibalizing the chassis from.

It will only cost about $168 for 36 of them. Not too bad. I spent about $240 on the parts listed on your Excel spreadsheet. Not even up to $500, so you know who isn't scrutinizing the budget- yet... no more extended trips for her now that her dad passed away, so no more buying sprees on stereo gear. And I told her after that I wasn't going to buy anymore stereo gear. I'm not- I'm buying parts and putting an amp together.

Alan0354 likes this.
  18. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

That's the price to pay having a big boss!!! You have to play politics with the big boss!!!!

Last year when I was very busy working on my contract, big boss told me I don't have to work. I said I want to "work" to earn money for my hobby. I actually want to complete the contract no matter what, BUT since she asked, I just put that in..................Now, when I buy parts, I keep reminding her that I earned the money for my hobby. She now has nothing to say.

I already bought a SE tube amp kit, I time it so when I finish this amp, that one should arrive and I'll have new toys to play.

Trojan4Life likes this.
  19. kjello

Was there a big inrush current creating an arcing in the power switch ?

20. Alan0354

Alan0354 Super Member

I don't think so, the tick sound were way after everything settled. Just random tick. I yet to look at it. Been updating the documentation.

kjello likes this.