My Audio Journey

1ADSarge

Der Bürgermeister
Subscriber
I wanted to start a new thread showing only my 2 channel main systems from my first setup to what I have progressed to today.

My first adventure into hifi consisted of a recapped Yamaha CR-400 integrated, SAE TWO EQ10 equalizer, Pioneer CT-W830R cassette deck, Hitachi HT-350 turntable, and a pair of Acoustic Research AR-2A speakers that I restored. Funny story on those speakers, I picked them up from a buddy's pawn shop for free because they were vinyl painted white by what looked to be by a 5 year old. They were missing the grills but the cabs and speakers were in great shape with loads of dust on them. After taking them home, I pulled all the speakers and stripped the cabs which revealed a very nice, solid, pine cabinet. I decided to stain them a nice darker cherry color and clear coat them. After cleaning up the speakers, cleaning the tone pots on the rear, and re-sealing the speakers to the cabs, me and the wife created some as-close-to-factory grills which turned out as good as you can get. Here's a pic. If you interested in reading the restore thread I created on the AR's, here is the link: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6718&hl=ar2a
tapatalk_1403584240298.jpeg

Me and the family then moved to a much bigger place which gave me room to expand. My version 2.0 consisted of a recapped Pioneer SX-636 integrated, Dual 621 turntable, Onkyo TA-W200 cassette deck, Heath AD-2530 CD player, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, Acoustic Research Classic 5's, Monster HTS 1650 power conditioner, Definitive Technology Supercube Reference subwoofer, Monster THX-1000 speaker cable, and AudioQuest and MIT AVt 3 interconnects.
IMG_0119.JPG

Version 3.0 included a DBX BX-3 MKII power amp, ADCOM GTP-500II preamp, Kenwood KD-2077 turntable, Yamaha EQ-500 equalizer, Technics RS-631 cassette deck, Akai GX-365D r2r player, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, and Klipsch Cornwall II's.
IMG_0061.JPG

Version 4.0 consisted of a Pioneer SX-636, Ariston RD-80 SL with an Audio-Technica AT13EA cartridge, Technics RS-631 cassette deck, Akai GX-365D r2r player, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, and Klipsch Cornwall II's.
tapatalk_1403584253065.jpeg

Version 5.0 happened around Christmas time and required some slimming down to work with the big Christmas tree. This setup consisted of the Pioneer SX-636, Ariston RD-80 SL with a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, Technics RS-631, and Klipsch Cornwall II's.
1403585552819.jpg

Version 6.0 ventures into the world of tubes. It consisted of a Magnavox 185 tube amp, Sir.Byrd passive preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Akai GX-365D, Technics RS-631, and the Klipsch Cornwall II's.
11176340_890518384340985_1339307551_n.jpg

Version 7.0 consisted of a pair of rebuilt and modded Dynaco MK III monoblock tube amps, Sir.Byrd passive preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Akai GX-365D, Technics RS-631, and a pair of SoundLab Dynastat speakers.
11208191_1390819221245534_2117147670_n.jpg

Version 8.0 consisted of a pair of Dynaco MK III monoblock tube amps with Sir.Byrd custom made mahogany trim, Tomcat Merlita tube preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Music Hall MMF Phono Pack, Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, SoundLab Dynastats, and Nordost Blue Heaven bi-wire cables.
11246096_1595390667376019_1922305967_n.jpg

Version 9.0 consisted of a monster Parasound HCA-2205A power amplifier, Yamaha CA-810 pulling preamp duty, Ariston RD-80 SL, Yaqin MS-22B tube phono preamp, Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, and SoundLab Dynastats.
11261949_1569309369960729_176199478_n.jpg

Version 10.0 consisted of the Parasound HCA-2205A power amp, Parasound AVC-2500 preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Yaqin MS-22B tube phono preamp, Monarchy NM24 tube DAC, Sonos Connect, Belkin PF-60 power conditioner, SoundLab Dynastats and some Linn K400 bi-wire speaker cable.
11264310_1434678823500823_1539568111_n.jpg

Last edited:
I really dig all the pics, awesome of you to share all of those. I do have to say the night time view on that one is hard to not stare at that the whole time. Awesome rig(s), very very cool gear man.

Very big +1 from me on that Dethklok lp :) \m/

Version 12.0 Consists of a Parasound HCA-2205A, Emotiva RSP-2 preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL with a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge and a Grado Master Reference cartridge on backup, Jasmine LP 2.0 phono preamp, Monarchy NM24 tube DAC, Sonos Connect, Onix Strata Mini speakers, KnuKonceptz interconnects, toslink, and custom 6ga power cables. I also picked up a couple slabs of granite to stick under the turntable and speakers.
11312338_631584730309385_1664787328_n.jpg

Version 13! I have been out of the HiFi mode for a good 6 months or so because life got VERY busy and I ended up selling off a few pieces. One of my Onix mid-range panels decided to start dying on me so they are out of the rotation for now. So version 13 consists of a Sanyo JCX-2900K integrated, Hitachi HT-350 turntable, Jasmine LP 2.0 phono preamp, Monarchy NM24 tube DAC, Sonos Connect, and my cherished Acoustic Research AR-2A's.
IMG_20140716_213220.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to go through my hifi journey with me. As you well know, the journey is far from over as this is a continually changing hobby to search for the perfect sound!

Absolutely beautiful and inspiring. :)
Thanks!

I really dig all the pics, awesome of you to share all of those. I do have to say the night time view on that one is hard to not stare at that the whole time. Awesome rig(s), very very cool gear man.

Very big +1 from me on that Dethklok lp :) \m/
Thanks, I have been very blessed in the house I'm in and the gear I have been able to own. The Dethklok album is a good one to listen to when I want a change from my usual Jazz and Classical Rock stuff :thumbup:

Epic journey so far :thmbsp:
Sure has been :D

I like version 8.0 the best, and the photos really do the system justice.
I really do miss those Dynaco mono blocks. Thanks, HDR does produce some sweet pics.

How is that Yaqin phono preamp?
It was a decent little phono preamp. It was fun to throw in different flavor tubes to get a different sound.

Sent from my Note II using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
It was a decent little phono preamp. It was fun to throw in different flavor tubes to get a different sound.

Would you guess that I would be better off with a Creek phono amp, or a ProJect phono amp (or something similar) or do you think the Yaqin was worth the money and is a GOOD preamp?

Would you guess that I would be better off with a Creek phono amp, or a ProJect phono amp (or something similar) or do you think the Yaqin was worth the money and is a GOOD preamp?
I'd have to honestly say that it is a good phono preamp. I really like the versatility of being able to easily switch out to different tubes. I personally like my current Jasmine LP 2.0 phono preamp better for the fact that it is more adjustable and has a bit clearer sound to it but if you can pick up a Yaqin for a good price, I'd give it a try.

Everything from this setup, this journey and this view... ahh man the view, is stunning !! You really have a beautifull space and looking forward to view up to version 50 :)

I wanted to start a new thread showing only my 2 channel main systems from my first setup to what I have progressed to today.

My first adventure into hifi consisted of a recapped Yamaha CR-400 integrated, SAE TWO EQ10 equalizer, Pioneer CT-W830R cassette deck, Hatachi HT-350 turntable, and a pair of Acoustic Research AR-2A speakers that I restored. Funny story on those speakers, I picked them up from a buddy's pawn shop for free because they were vinyl painted white by what looked to be by a 5 year old. They were missing the grills but the cabs and speakers were in great shape with loads of dust on them. After taking them home, I pulled all the speakers and stripped the cabs which revealed a very nice, solid, pine cabinet. I decided to stain them a nice darker cherry color and clear coat them. After cleaning up the speakers, cleaning the tone pots on the rear, and re-sealing the speakers to the cabs, me and the wife created some as-close-to-factory grills which turned out as good as you can get. Here's a pic. If you interested in reading the restore thread I created on the AR's, here is the link: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6718&hl=ar2a
5q02.jpg

Me and the family then moved to a much bigger place which gave me room to expand. My version 2.0 consisted of a recapped Pioneer SX-636 integrated, Dual 621 turntable, Onkyo TA-W200 cassette deck, Heath AD-2530 CD player, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, Acoustic Research Classic 5's, Monster HTS 1650 power conditioner, Definitive Technology Supercube Reference subwoofer, Monster THX-1000 speaker cable, and AudioQuest and MIT AVt 3 interconnects.
housepics1.jpg

Version 3.0 included a DBX BX-3 MKII power amp, ADCOM GTP-500II preamp, Kenwood KD-2077 turntable, Yamaha EQ-500 equalizer, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, and Bozak B-305's with modified crossovers, new internal wiring, and new 5 way gold plated binding post.
main2iu.jpg

Version 4.0 included a DBX BX-3 MKII power amp, ADCOM GTP-500II preamp, Kenwood KD-2077 turntable, Yamaha EQ-500 equalizer, Technics RS-631 cassette deck, Akai GX-365D r2r player, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, and Klipsch Cornwall II's.
mainupdate3.jpg

Version 5.0 consisted of a Pioneer SX-636, Ariston RD-80 SL with an Audio-Technica AT13EA cartridge, Technics RS-631 cassette deck, Akai GX-365D r2r player, Acoustic Research AR-2A's, and Klipsch Cornwall II's.
jv98.jpg

Version 6.0 happened around Christmas time and required some slimming down to work with the big Christmas tree. This setup consisted of the Pioneer SX-636, Ariston RD-80 SL with a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, Technics RS-631, and Klipsch Cornwall II's.
3qtj.jpg

Version 7.0 adventured into the world of tubes. It consisted of a Magnavox 185 tube amp, Sir.Byrd passive preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Akai GX-365D, Technics RS-631, and the Klipsch Cornwall II's.
setup3.jpg

Version 8.0 consisted of a pair of rebuilt and modded Dynaco MK III monoblock tube amps, Sir.Byrd passive preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Akai GX-365D, Technics RS-631, and a pair of SoundLab Dynastat speakers.
23732621.jpg

76171750.jpg

Version 9.0 consisted of a pair of Dynaco MK III monoblock tube amps with Sir.Byrd custom made mahogany trim, Tomcat Merlita tube preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Music Hall MMF Phono Pack, Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, SoundLab Dynastats, and Nordost Blue Heaven bi-wire cables.
po73.jpg

Version 10.0 consisted of a monster Parasound HCA-2205A power amplifier, Yamaha CA-810 pulling preamp duty, Ariston RD-80 SL, Yaqin MS-22B tube phono preamp, Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, and SoundLab Dynastats.
1367340001310.jpg

Version 11.0 consisted of the Parasound HCA-2205A power amp, Parasound AVC-2500 preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL, Yaqin MS-22B tube phono preamp, Monarchy NM24 tube DAC, Sonos Connect, Belkin PF-60 power conditioner, SoundLab Dynastats and some Linn K400 bi-wire speaker cable.
1370201853974.jpg

......and the current Version 12.0! What I am currently running is a Parasound HCA-2205A, Emotiva RSP-2 preamp, Ariston RD-80 SL with a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge and a Grado Master Reference cartridge on backup, Jasmine LP 2.0 phono preamp, Monarchy NM24 tube DAC, Sonos Connect, Onyx Strata Mini speakers, KnuKonceptz interconnects, toslink, and custom 6ga power cables. I also picked up a couple slabs of granite to stick under the turntable and speakers.
evypamu8.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to go through my hifi journey with me. As you well know, the journey is far from over as this is a continually changing hobby to search for the perfect sound!

Cheers,
Jared

That is one heluva audio journey. Thanks for sharing.

Love the journey. You got me hooked in the beginning with your restoration of the AR-2A speakers which lasted up to version 5.0. What happened to them?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. As far as the AR's, they will never be sold. They are currently on display in the sitting room. Those still are my favorite looking speakers I've ever owned :)

Sent from my Note II using Tapatalk 4 Pro

Back
Top Bottom