My Audio Setups

Hey all! Once upon a time, I had a thread out here, documenting my stereo setups but when the website was updated, the pictures were lost and I didn't bother to update it. For reference, I found my old thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-listening-space.638499/

Since then I've posted a few pictures here and there in the 'Pics of Your Listening Space' thread of my main setup but I haven't really bothered to do a proper description for all of the components I am using. And, well, the systems have gone through several changes since then, anyways.

I figured today I would take the time to start a new thread to begin documenting and sharing everything I've found on my audio journey with my fellow audio enthusiasts here on Audiokarma.

I've got a few different systems, one for the TV entertainment set up (which is my primary stereo system), a surround sound set up for the separate projector system which we use for movie nights and our bedroom system. Here is the primary system:

index.php

Speakers are early Bozak Symphonies with the 8" midranges, a new-to-me Dynaco ST-400 with meters, and a JBH 6p6p tube preamplifier. Everything is run through a Monster HTS 3500 power conditioner to ensure clean power is always being sent to each component. All of this hooks up to our 55" 4k TV with Roku which handles our movies/TV and also is hooked up to a Windows gaming pc that I built that we also use for Spotify and an Xbox One.

I can't even begin to describe how good this system sounds! I've spent several years trying numerous components and speakers, always trading different pieces in an out in search of that elusive perfect sound. Ever since I was a teenager, I have had a very picky ear for sound and so I am particular about the way a system should sound. Well, I have to share that this is definitely as close as I have gotten to my all-around ideal sound and desired aesthetics. Both have been important to me in building this system. Sound obviously comes first before everything but I've also wanted something that is pleasing to the eye as well.

First, the most important component. The speakers:

The Bozak Symphonies have been in my position for a couple of years now and are easily the best piece of audio gear I've ever purchased. They effectively ended my search for better speakers. I just love them and I strongly recommend them to other audio nuts who haven't had a chance to hear the Bozak sound and love/desire a smooth, warm, natural and insanely dynamic sound. I am convinced there are some things, only large speakers can do and these sound absolutely massive and effortless. Conflicting information on the net says they way either 114lbs or closer to 160lbs each.

Each Symphony has two of the famous Bozak 12" woofers. Rudy used a combination of horse hair and other secret ingredients to produce the woofer cones. He tapered them so that the cones were thicker at the center and then became thinner as you moved outward to the edges. This created a cone that was both stiff and light which is imperative for a bass driver when you want a good transient response. The woofers were coupled with massive alnico magnets as well. The bass from the Bozaks is fantastic. The low end is warm and smooth but also relatively quick and detailed. And not only that, you do not need a subwoofer with these. Not only do they reach down to 30hz, when the music calls for it, they produce bass in copious amounts. I have rattled the glass in my house with these.

I have one of the early pairs of Symphonies (manufactured in 1963) so mine have the separately enclosed 8" midrange rather than the 6" midrange. These midrange drivers use a damped aluminum cone and the same magnet structure that is used on the 12" woofers. I have read different opinions online about which midrange used in the Symphonies is better but I have to say that the midrange quality of the speakers is magical. In fact, this is the true strength of the Bozak speakers and what, IMHO, makes them so good. The midrange frequencies and vocals are so smooth and natural it is incredible. Well recorded songs sound so good you could almost believe you were listening to the artists live.

Treble is handled by a line array of tweeters, mirror-imaged on each speaker. This is probably the weak link of the Bozak's because the crossover and tweeter design means the upper most frequencies are rolled off. If you are like me, when I read something like "rolled off frequencies", I think of dull, veiled or missing high-end but in real life listening, the Bozaks still sound quite clear on the high end to my ears. They are not as airy as other speakers I've heard but the dispersion is great and the top end never sounds harsh or sibilant.

This all melds together to create a speaker that sounds buttery smooth and natural. I can listen to these for hours without fatigue and yet they never sound veiled or dull. They are surprisingly clear and detailed for a speaker of their vintage. Practically every genre of music sounds great on these--jazz, classical, electronic, rock, pop, movie music and effects. They, unlike many speakers I've listened to sound absolutely fantastic at every listening level. A lot of speakers lose detail and fullness when listened at low levels but these do not. And when you crank the sound up, they don't start breaking up but continue to sound clear and effortless. They fill the room with sound like few other speakers I've heard. Imaging is decent but not as precise as other speakers I've heard (I attribute this to the sheer size and wideness of the cabinets). I've listened to so many speakers over the years including:
  • Snell Type A's
  • Snell Type E's
  • Snell Type D's
  • RTR 280DR
  • Monitor Audio Silver 9i's
  • Martin Logan Electrostatics
  • Sony SS-M7
  • Goldenear Triton One
  • Various Klipsch
  • Altec Valencia
  • Wharfedale W70d
  • Epicure 3.0
There quite a few others that I am not thinking of right now. A lot of those speakers sound really good but I have favored the Symphonies over all of them. The only speaker I've heard that sound as good/better to me are the Sony SS-M7s. The Sony's have amazing detail, incredible airiness on the high end without harshness, and fantastic midrange. However, they still can't manage the size and dynamics of the sound that the Bozaks produce. Anyways, I'm in love with the Bozaks and can't recommend them enough.

For now I'm going to pause here but I will continue to update with thoughts on the other components and eventually a few posts on the other systems I have set up. I also intend to bust out the DSLR camera to take better pictures. I'll upload those too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom