My Blown Cutlass - 250hp ago . . .

Leaving on the last yellow can be risky, but will also get you the best time....

Bracket racing is all done with electronics now. The cars have a mechanism in the trans that locks it in drive and reverse, not allowing it to move at all. The driver engages the trans-brake via a button, and when the first yellow comes on he releases the button, and a "delay box" counts down the time (input by driver, down to .001 second) until reverse is disengaged and the car leaves just like dropping the clutch wide open. Most racers use a rev limiter while on the trans-brake, hence the "stuttering" on the line before launch. Cars have timers or RPM activated shifters. So it's let go of the button, hold on and steer. A lot of people think it takes the fun out of it, I did until I drove a car with all the electronics. They have classes where all that stuff is outlawed for the old-school guys. Also a lot of heads-up classes do not allow certain electronics, but some allow all of them and "throttle stops", which control the throttle via timers. Those cars sometimes leave hard, then appear to slow down mid track, then zoom off again.

So ... I recently yanked the blower and had it freshened up. While it was apart, I had the rotors coated to prevent pitting from our crappy fuel, etc. We got it back together a few weeks ago. This last weekend, a buddy's girlfriend asked for a ride. I hadn't legged it out since the rebuild, and she's a hot little number, so why not?

I did a quick burnout and then whacked it wot from a dig. It blew the tires off for a second or so and then it was all GO. Shit pulled so hard that my butt came outta the seat - with my harnesses on! After I let out at like 100 (nearly instant), she was like, "How many times do we get to do that?!? Oh my god!" Just one ...

I handed her off to my buddy ... "She's ready for you bro." What a rush ...

One thing is for sure, no matter how new the technology, and no matter if the new car makes more power or not...no modern car will ever have the "cool factor" of a large housing blower on a 60's or 70's muscle car peeking from under the hood. Not to mention the sky is the limit on what you can change and modify. I am limited by OBD and EPA compliance since all my customers drive them daily...or at least much more than a dedicated race car.

One thing is for sure, no matter how new the technology, and no matter if the new car makes more power or not...no modern car will ever have the "cool factor" of a large housing blower on a 60's or 70's muscle car peeking from under the hood. Not to mention the sky is the limit on what you can change and modify. I am limited by OBD and EPA compliance since all my customers drive them daily...or at least much more than a dedicated race car.
Very true. Personally, I've always been partial to the old school "jimmy" cases, Weiand front and rear covers, and 1/2" pitch pulleys - all antiques now, even in the world of roots blowers.

The Olds' gets a lot of love when it's out. After that run we ended up at In & Out and people snapped photos of it the entire time we were there. I had two women that wanted their photo taken in it - hop on in.

I've got some modern muscle too, but it doesn't get that kind of attention.

You're in the wrong state - in AZ, a car like this gets tagged like all others. No defroster, heater, wipers, 33x22.5x15" slicks ... No problem. No emissions either as its 15+ years old and has classic car insurance. My shit is mild compared to some of the 14-71 blown rides on the West side ...

Boost brings the fun! Killer paint. What the trans and gearing? Brother in laws Camaro did have a roots, But has switched to a Procharger. It had good power. Now it's just stupid power.

mopar nats at carlisle 2015 - mopar brought 2 or 3 hellcats and all day each day was doing WOT runs up drag hill and back. There were 2-3 cars you didnt want to ever buy - all day, WOT 1-2-3, hard brake, then 1-2-3 back down, hard brake. The line to get a ride was 1/4 mile long and while they were near 800hp the B's, TA's and cudas were STILL way cooler

Love that! My college car, back in the disco era, was a '68 442. Had the black vinyl roof, leather interior, and airshocks lifting the rear end with oversized Belted TA's on Crager chrome wheels. I so wish I still had it. I really like the '68 rear end more than later years.

Had a 66 cutty with the 330cid/320 hp motor if i remember the hp correctly .Might of been 330?Two speed powerglide ,not much of a drag car, but once she was going watch out.Similar to this one
8023230040_large.jpg

Had a 66 cutty with the 330cid/320 hp motor if i remember the hp correctly .Might of been 330?Two speed powerglide ,not much of a drag car, but once she was going watch out.Similar to this one
8023230040_large.jpg
I love those '66-7 A-bodies with the rear window recessed between the C pillars.

Small nitpick, but as an Olds guy, one that drives me up the wall -- you didn't have a Powerglide, you had a Jetaway. Powerglides came in Chevies and, aside from both being two-speed automatic transmissions, had nothing in common with the Jetaway.

Oh, and the correct horsepower rating for the 330-4V HC engine that year was indeed 320. There, thanks for indulging me!

First car i ever owned was the 64 chevelle with the mighty 230 cid and a 2 speeder.175,000 trouble free miles other than an idiot teen owner.Thats why i said pg for the cutlas didnt know any better.Thanks for the tranny lesson.So they were totally different?Wonder what the reason was for 2 speed vs 3 back then.Me, i loved 3 on the tree.Theft proof car today,lol.

Back
Top Bottom