My budget stereo.

Metalcrack

Hello all! I have put together a very modest system at (I think) a great price. My goal was a good sound on a budget. I'm still trying to dial it in, as my room is an odd shape (plane a 45 degree corner on a rectangle), and I have concrete and carpet in the listening area.

Anyhow, pics when I get them ...

Receiver : MCS 3253 $100.00
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/modular-component-systems/model-3253.shtml

Turntable: Technics SL-BD22D $20.00 Came with Shure 500 cart and generic stylus
-Cart and Stylus: NOS Shure 800E and needle (N104E) $50.00

CD Player: Panasonic DVD player $FREE-purposed

Cassette: Sony (TC-FX120) $24.00 for player and parts (belts and cassette to set speed)

Speakers: Boston Acoustics VR940 $6.00

Sub - Dayton SUB1000 $30.00

Total: $230 Sounds very focused and uncolored, but is missing something. I'll figure that out as I go along.

Last edited:
Sounds like a decent system. Those Boston speaks seem to get good "bang for the buck" reviews, same with the MCS receiver. Figuring it out is the fun part to many of us, though it can be frustrating.
Welcome to AK. Get some pics up!

WOW that MCS ... is a nice piece! The Bostons don't go very low but most likely they were designed to go with a sub (which you have also I see) anyway. Sounds like a great system ... you did good! :)

Hello all! I have put together a very modest system at (I think) a great price. My goal was a good sound on a budget. I'm still trying to dial it in, as my room is an odd shape (plane a 45 degree corner on a rectangle), and I have concrete and carpet in the listening area.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/modular-component-systems/model-3253.shtml

Cassette: Sony (TC-FX120) $24.00 for player and parts (belts and cassette to set speed)

Total: $230 Sounds very focused and uncolored, but is missing something. I'll figure that out as I go along.
You got Boston Acoustics VRs for $6?! That's awesome. Don't let those speakers go, the VR series is one of my favorites.

Solid system through and through. Your room is probably the biggest problem area. Depending on how much exposed concrete there is, you may want to get something to put over some of it to reduce reflections. And bass traps for that corner may be in order. I recommend the cheap acoustic foam on Amazon for a budget. It works just fine.

Those Dayton subs work great a lot of bang for the buck there. You did good.

So this is how it stands. I've spent some time (too much) figuring out how to get the speakers even. I am getting rid of the ol' DLP TV, so that opens up this whole area. There is the 45 off the corner as you can see, as well as the flooring issue. I'm going to start moving this stuff tonight, so I can actually get it sounding as good as it should.IMG_20190214_164755620_2.jpg IMG_20190214_165826807_2.jpg

IMG_20190214_162609371_2.jpg

I have am MCS 3253 also. Nice receiver and impressive looks. Only problem is the switches-you will need to invest in a lot of Deoxit to keep that thing going.

Thanks for the positive feedback! Added a cigar box for my record brush, and started moving some of the old bookshelves (not in the pic) so I can get that TV outta here. My wife listened to some Poldoore and smiled. I think she will be on board for some changes in the area!!!

I have am MCS 3253 also. Nice receiver and impressive looks. Only problem is the switches-you will need to invest in a lot of Deoxit to keep that thing going.

Already been inside 2x in the yearish I've had it. The volume knob is still a bit touchy.

Well, I thought I got myself a new CD player. I bought it from a church thrift store, where they sell donations. A MIJ Technics SL-P222, with the remote!. The drawer didn't open, so I couldn't properly play a disc, but for $10 that is donated to those in need it was worth a shot. I replaced the belt for the drawer and the player worked! I compared it to my Pani, and though the Pani had better dynamics, the Technics had much better clarity. Tried running it for a few days and it started to skip. I will try and find an ISO/image/flac of the reference disc online so I can set all the pots correctly, but I think I will have to move on to the next one.

Well, my CD player issue is solved. picked up a Philips DVD963SA. $15.00. Needs a little work on the power supply, but is a perfect blend of my Panny and the Technics. Has the clarity of the Technics and the dynamics of the Panny. I'll take this one as my keeper.

Can't catch a break. I read that the 963SA power supply is bunk, but now I know. It took a few times trying to turn on the unit before it would start. Display went blank and no standby light. Replaced the fuse an half the board went. Now I have a great player with no power supply and no spares that I can find. Back to the Panny.

Can't catch a break. I read that the 963SA power supply is bunk, but now I know. It took a few times trying to turn on the unit before it would start. Display went blank and no standby light. Replaced the fuse an half the board went. Now I have a great player with no power supply and no spares that I can find. Back to the Panny.

There's a billion unloved blu-ray players out there these days - maybe grab one of those. These machines (CD / DVD / Blu-ray) are so plentiful that really, it isn't worth investing time in repair and calibration unless it's a REALLY nice piece that you got for REALLY cheap :) There's quite a few threads on AK, discussing the once top-of-the-line (TOTL) DVD and blu-ray players that are now available for pennies.

Back
Top Bottom