My Day With a Stradivarius

mfrench

Addicted Member
This morning. Wow. I just wish I didn't suck so much with a camera.

I was so overwhelmed with what was being laid down on me, in the history of this instrument, that I cannot for the life of me remember which song I'm about to suggest, by Jean Sibelius.
This instrument was used on the night of the premiere of one of his violin concerti, on a night that he was present for. I'm going to email the violinist and get him to re-tell me which concerto it was.
The violin is mostly original, with exception to a few wear items. This includes the original finish. It was built in 1694, called the ExHalir Strad.
The case is custom made for the instrument, because it is slightly longer than a typical violin. The theme of the case is dedicated to the premiere of the Sibelius concerto, and, is also of Masonic theme, because of either Sibelius or the Halir (premiere solo violinist), and their involvement in Masonic rights..DSCN5787.jpg

Ebony inlay, two minute strips, on both sides of the fiddle:
DSCN5788.jpgDSCN5789.jpgDSCN5790.jpg

Todays concert was a Chamber Music trio of violin, cello, and piano. The piano was a Steinway. The cellist, well, she is flat out amazing. I'm not sure if I know the lineage, and, if I did, recalling it might well explode my pea brain. But, her cello is an amazing sounding instrument, and she is incredible.

And, I was so fortunate, as to be able to push a highly rigged chair right in front of them, and push record.
DSCN5797.jpg

Güde Head went in stealth mode (my binaural stereo head), covered in black lace to make him stand out less.

DSCN5785.jpg
DSCN5809.jpg DSCN5810 (1).jpg

Mic stands? pffttt, who needs those when we have these wonderful plastic stacking chairs to rig to.

So, thats my day, so far.

Well there's something you don't see (or hear) every day!
Thanks for sharing the experience.

That would be amazing to be in the presence of such an extraordinary instrument. I'd love to be able to hear it played in person because no recording would ever do it justice.

Very cool! The only time I've been close enough to view a Strad in person, it was behind glass (one of the Smithsonian museums in DC).

OK, I'm finding words hard to come up with for this one......
One of the few things I know about this instrument is..., they must be played! It's why the owners loan them out in the first place. How long did you have to wait from when you made the request?
This is one of those life peak moments, thanks for sharing it with us. I don't think I could even hold one without being a complete mess, you must have one cool head. :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom