My Experience at Die Glocke in Bremen, Germany

Judas Priest

I´m, not much of a writer, but I want to try and put my feelings into words what I experienced tonight.

This was my 2nd Classical Concert, and what a concert it was!

Die Glocke is only about 45 minutes away from where I live, so, that´s nice :)

It was a concert of an International Youth Orchester, playing :

Liszt´s Prometheus

Ufos First, a composition from Clemens Rynkowski for Theremin (which he played) and Orchestra

The Planets from Holst

This time we had seats front row center. It turns out, that was a very wise choice !!! ( for my taste).

The sound was FANTASIC!! I could hear every single instrument very clearly, and, although it wasn´t as loud as a Rock concert, it was plenty loud! I didn´t bring my SPL meter, but I would guess peaks of 100-105 dbA.

Those horns and drums had POWER! Really amazing what a 105 piece orchestra sounds like from up close!

It turns out, I have been listening to classical music too quietly ;) But seriously, that would be a little too loud for me on an everyday basis. But it sure sounded good :)

It was really moving to see all these young people, playing so passionately. I actually got a bit choked up when they played Jupiter.

For an encore they played a piece that I wasn´t familiar with, and they ROCKED the house! All 105 members stood up half way through the piece, played the rest of it, and just plain kicked ASS! They got a standing ovation and I was screaming my head off, just like at a Metal show :) Others were, too.

No one around me knew what piece they played, but I was able to catch a young violinist before she left the stage and asked her what it was. She showed me her sheet music so I could take a picture of it :)

It was Danzon No. 2 from Arturo Marquez. An amazing piece!

My Heavy Metal buddy, with whom I have attended many shows, was really impressed by his first classical concert. He wants to see more! Me too :)

Anyway, it was a fantasic evening, the tickets only cost €15 and the young people played perfectly, with lots of enthusiasm.

I can´t wait for my next live Symphony :)

Back
Top Bottom