My First kenwood!!

boybuick85

This is my first vintage reciever , I greatly enjoy the looks and the sound.
Its a KR-3200 got it at a thrift for $28 came with the full brochure manual and schematic .

As it stands im only getting volume and sound from one speaker occasionally it switches sides when i turn it on and off. Messing around with the antenna got both sides to come in for some reason but then lost it when i pressed mono. I opened it up to spray the pots for volune and the such but there is a plate covering all of it . This will be the first time I'm doing this would anybody have an idea of how to get to them???

Take the bottom plate off. Access is as easy as it gets. What do you intend to spray it with? Do not use WD-40. Use Deoxit D5 for switches, and F5 faderlube for pots (the controls that go round..volume, tone etc.)
kr3200_5_bg.jpg

Last edited:
Take the bottom plate off. Access is as easy as it gets. What do you intend to spray it with? Do not use WD-40. Use Deoxit D5 for switches, and F5 faderlube for pots (the controls that go round..volume, tone etc.)
kr3200_5_bg.jpg
Using deoxit only . The plate seemed like it required removal of the wheel with the string aswell since it is all one unit. just didnt want to mess anything up when it comes to putting it back together. Ill give it another look . If i remember correctly the screws where on the sides of the plate

Defintely did not . New to servicing equipment. Thank you friend

In that case I will add that I would (very gently) pack bits of paper towel around the outsides of controls (pots and switches) to catch over spray. The fluid can come out vigorously when using spray cans. It does no good having deoxit sitting on a PCB, components, wires, etc. It will not evaporate completely, and can attract dust. If there is a spray pressure adjustment on the can, start with it in the lowest position which is likely all you need. While the control is wet inside, work it through its entire range of motion about 40-50 times. I would suggest removing any paper towel bits then waiting overnight to power-up after doing this treatment.

Last edited:
So i did a decently thorough cleaning. One of the channels is still so so . Its at like 90 percent when turning volume up sometimes gets a little weak until it grabs it . Over all sounds incredible . Im guessing i need to get back in there and do one more cleaning of the volume pot??? Because one side does sound slightly lower

Sure, one more treatment like the first you did would be a safe and logical step. And if one more pass at the volume pot does not resolve the issue, then go through all of the controls again. Don't assume the volume pot is the culprit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom