My first Klipsch- r820f

thumper69

I'm not thinking about woofers.
I recently took advantage of a big box stores Black Friday sale and picked these up for a ridiculously low price. Brought them home, unboxed them, installed the feet and hooked them up. Wow! What can I say except where have you been all my life Klipsch?? They took the place of my OLA and I will say this. While I have not A/Bd the two, the Klipsch did not "blow away" the Advents by any means and I think on the extremely low frequency passages the Advents may actually go lower, though not as cleanly or with as much authority as the Reference series does. YMMV and I'm tone deaf so there's that. But I just have to say I am very pleased and impressed with their sound at all volumes and dynamics. These speakers sound fantastic IMHO. They image wonderfully and have a very clean, effortless sound about them. Very open yet powerful. The bass is incredibly powerful, no subwoofer needed for us. Couch shaking and window rattling, and again, just clean sounding. For reference I have them hooked up to my Marantz sr5006 a/v reciever and the pre outs to a B&K st140 power amp just for the 2 Klipsch fronts. All the other speakers use the internal amp in the Marantz, that's my gear line. The highs are never harsh, the mids blend smoothly, and the horns spread the sound out all over the entire room quite nicely. We watched The Meg on Blu-Ray last night and wow did these things sound awesome. Shook the house. The Klipsch look great too, with an extremely high WAF, even so far as she requested the grills be removed because they look better with the drivers showing. Never heard that one before. I can honestly say I am excited about listening to music again even more than I was, as I find my eyes closed and head tilted back a lot with the Klipsch. I am hearing A LOT more detail than I was on the Advents. I feel bad because now I have a beautiful set of OLA that are going to begin to gather dust now, because there is no going back. The Klipsch have taken over the main spot for keeps. To say we are pleased is an understatement and I'm very happy I can find audio nirvana at such a low price. I'm glad to be a cheap date on this subject. I thought i would post this for what its worth, because if anybody is considering purchasing these speakers while they are still priced so affordably, do not hesitate. They are GREAT sounding, great looking ,heavy, well built speakers. With all opinions, mine is just that, an opinion. Meaningless. So please remember that YMMV and one person's butter is another's spoiled milk. 20181127_213033.jpg 20181127_213048.jpg 20181128_075342.jpg 20181130_204803.jpg 20181128_075328.jpg

Congratulations! I concur with your review as well. What distance did you settle on from back wall?
Thanks.
I stayed at 7 inches from the wall, toed in either very slightly or maybe leave them square, that ones still up in the air.

congrats on the new speakers! for better bass response, i would experiment with placement more. i find better bass from my RP250F's when they're pulled further away from the wall.

congrats on the new speakers! for better bass response, i would experiment with placement more. i find better bass from my RP250F's when they're pulled further away from the wall.
That is why they are placed at 7 inches. I like the bass at that distance versus less or more. I tried many different combinations of distance from walls, spread, toe in degree, tilt angles. The best for me is leaving the factory feet on them, which gives them a 1/2" tilt, an 8 foot spread center to center and 7 inched from the back wall. No walls adjacent to the sides. No complaints about bass, it shakes the couch and rattles the windows.

Those look great, the Quartets converted me to horns a year or so ago. I'll bet those sound great. Even Steve Gutenberg over at CTNet has been captivated by the new Klipsch line. He just gave the RP600 a speaker of the year award.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klips...eaker-of-the-year/#ftag=rss.audiophiliac.ftag
Thanks! I really like the looks too, the new feet make them appear sleek, but they are bigger than they look. I think they sound fantastic. With the st140 pushing them they fill up the room with sound even at very low volumes and are still really punchy. I'm anxious to see what the reviews on the r820fs are once they get some time in the market.

Back
Top Bottom