My first piece of McIntosh gear...A vintage 1900 receiver

It looks like you are well on your way to becoming another victim of Macitis for which there is no known cure. Good luck with your 1900. You will always remember it as your first but not your last. :)

I have a 1700 receiver, and the only thing I'll add is that it shoots a lot higher then it's rated power ratings. At 40 watts, I've read in a few different places of it bench testing closer to 60. It really has no problems getting my AR 3's loud, if perhaps not quite as bass deep as a 200 watt amp. But in a smaller room, with somebody that doesn't require concert hall levels, it(and I would assume the 1900 as well) could probably mate up well to almost any speaker out there. And as the OP indicated, the sound from it is extremely sweet. Plus it has 2 excellent phono's, and the tube tuner on it is outstanding.

I have a 1700 receiver, and the only thing I'll add is that it shoots a lot higher then it's rated power ratings. At 40 watts, I've read in a few different places of it bench testing closer to 60. It really has no problems getting my AR 3's loud, if perhaps not quite as bass deep as a 200 watt amp. But in a smaller room, with somebody that doesn't require concert hall levels, it(and I would assume the 1900 as well) could probably mate up well to almost any speaker out there. And as the OP indicated, the sound from it is extremely sweet. Plus it has 2 excellent phono's, and the tube tuner on it is outstanding.

After falling in love with the 1900, I would like to get my hands on a 1700 as well. They sound quite different in my opinion, and I really like the sound of the tube section for the radio on the 1700.

So regarding the volume control issues:
These controls are worn by prior owners around the 7- to 9-o'clock position because the control has to be rotated through that section every time the 1900 is turned on and off. No good replacements seem to be available for this control I guess because of lack of space to fit any existing after-market controls and insufficient demand for anyone to make and sell a matching form, fit, function replacement.

So I do two things to deal with this. As mentioned several times above, I use a cheap power strip to turn it on and off and so minimize any further wear. The other idea is to put some attenuation in the signal like a properly selected resistor inserted in the pre-out / amp-in loop. Doing this, in theory, will make the sound level lower forcing you to use the volume control more to the clockwise, less worn section beyond the 9-o'clock position. I was going to insert a resistor in that loop but instead, I asked Terry DeWick to do something internally to lower the gain forcing me use the volume control further clockwise where the balance is still correct.

Regarding cross-talk from FM to your CD input:
I do get some bleed-through (or cross-talk) from the FM tuner when either tape monitor input push button is selected. The normal design method to prevent this is (was) to short to ground (with the receiver's selector switch), all the inputs that are not selected so that no sound can leak through. So if you switch to the FM source, the phono inputs are shorted to ground and you won't hear a playing record in the background. But when using a tape monitor input from a "Monitor" push button, with the FM source selected from the rotary source-selector switch, the unit cannot short the FM to ground as the FM needs to be going to the tape deck for recording. So, you do hear the FM way in the background when FM is selected and either tape monitor button is pushed.

So, don't use the tape monitor buttons except when monitoring a recording session (which you would never do since you said you don't have a tape recorder hooked up.)

You are using one of the tape inputs for your CD player (since the 1900 does not have an "aux" input), so if you use the rotary source switch to select "Tape 1" or "Tape 2" (which ever you're using) instead of the tape "Monitor" push-button, the unit will short the FM signal to ground and you will not hear FM in the background - at least I don't. Also, I don't hear background FM when the phono or AM sources are selected.

Thanks and enjoy. This is a great receiver.

So regarding the volume control issues:
These controls are worn by prior owners around the 7- to 9-o'clock position because the control has to be rotated through that section every time the 1900 is turned on and off. No good replacements seem to be available for this control I guess because of lack of space to fit any existing after-market controls and insufficient demand for anyone to make and sell a matching form, fit, function replacement.

So I do two things to deal with this. As mentioned several times above, I use a cheap power strip to turn it on and off and so minimize any further wear. The other idea is to put some attenuation in the signal like a properly selected resistor inserted in the pre-out / amp-in loop. Doing this, in theory, will make the sound level lower forcing you to use the volume control more to the clockwise, less worn section beyond the 9-o'clock position. I was going to insert a resistor in that loop but instead, I asked Terry DeWick to do something internally to lower the gain forcing me use the volume control further clockwise where the balance is still correct.

Regarding cross-talk from FM to your CD input:
I do get some bleed-through (or cross-talk) from the FM tuner when either tape monitor input push button is selected. The normal design method to prevent this is (was) to short to ground (with the receiver's selector switch), all the inputs that are not selected so that no sound can leak through. So if you switch to the FM source, the phono inputs are shorted to ground and you won't hear a playing record in the background. But when using a tape monitor input from a "Monitor" push button, with the FM source selected from the rotary source-selector switch, the unit cannot short the FM to ground as the FM needs to be going to the tape deck for recording. So, you do hear the FM way in the background when FM is selected and either tape monitor button is pushed.

So, don't use the tape monitor buttons except when monitoring a recording session (which you would never do since you said you don't have a tape recorder hooked up.)

You are using one of the tape inputs for your CD player (since the 1900 does not have an "aux" input), so if you use the rotary source switch to select "Tape 1" or "Tape 2" (which ever you're using) instead of the tape "Monitor" push-button, the unit will short the FM signal to ground and you will not hear FM in the background - at least I don't. Also, I don't hear background FM when the phono or AM sources are selected.

Thanks and enjoy. This is a great receiver.

I read this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mac-1900-volume-problem.551797/ In it one person says "I have the same problem (in regards to the volume pot) and emailed Mcintosh. Here is their reply. 'The original part is no longer available. We have a replacement, part #13436900, it is available and is $100.00 plus $16.00 shipping. If you wish to order I will need credit card information.'"

Is this part long gone?

Shoot them an email.

I was just curious. I've decided to live with it. It sounds like Terry knows how to get in there and make adjustments to sort out the issue in the volume pot, so if it ever gets to where I can't tolerate it, I can send it to him and have the rest of the unit gone through at the same time.

I found my Mac 1700 at a local "Restore" store last summer.:jump: I was thinking of flipping it but I've really grown to like it. Love the retro look and it sounds good. I have close to 30 different receivers but I'm in no hurry to swap it out for a different one yet. It's not everyday that you run across a Mac that works great at a thrift, so I'd hate to get rid of it.

I found my Mac 1700 at a local "Restore" store last summer.:jump: I was thinking of flipping it but I've really grown to like it. Love the retro look and it sounds good. I have close to 30 different receivers but I'm in no hurry to swap it out for a different one yet. It's not everyday that you run across a Mac that works great at a thrift, so I'd hate to get rid of it.

Sweet find.

Wow, they have a replacement for the unobtanium on/off volume control, expensive but a great thing!

That's where I'm at. Was going to sell it to finance some other purchases, but every time I work it into the system(well, fully into the system...even when not using the amp I've used the tuner and phono) it sounds so good, even with my hard to drive 3's, and looks so good, that I can't go through with it. These are pieces, like my AR 3's, or AR XA turntable, that I want to have for the rest of my life. They're living audio history that not only look great but still sound great since introduced decades ago. Timeless.

I installed a triac to save the power switch. IIRC mac didn't put snubber cap across switch.
It won't help the volume pot but the switch should last longer than me now:D

All that applies in the MA6100 post applies here with the MAC1900. The 1900 has almost the exact same amp and preamp section but with the added complication of a tuner.

Like the OP, I recently purchased a 1900 as my first piece of Mac gear. I plan to make it the centerpiece of a vintage, mostly analog system. I have an AR-XB and a Dual 1219 turntables and hopefully will be adding a reel to reel down the road. I am looking into speaker options and could use some suggestions. Eventually I'm thinking something from the Klipsch Legacy line up but I need something less expensive to get me by for now. Need to stay at 500 max and want something vintage and as full range as possible (I hate integrating a sub with vintage gear, just seems wrong). Been looking at KLHs, Advents, ARs ... all the usual suspects, and a not so usual prospect: Aztec Gaughan III, which came available on CL and is gorgeous and screams potential but not much info available. Any thoughts? Any vintage sleepers out there I should consider?

Like the OP, I recently purchased a 1900 as my first piece of Mac gear. I plan to make it the centerpiece of a vintage, mostly analog system. I have an AR-XB and a Dual 1219 turntables and hopefully will be adding a reel to reel down the road. I am looking into speaker options and could use some suggestions. Eventually I'm thinking something from the Klipsch Legacy line up but I need something less expensive to get me by for now. Need to stay at 500 max and want something vintage and as full range as possible (I hate integrating a sub with vintage gear, just seems wrong). Been looking at KLHs, Advents, ARs ... all the usual suspects, and a not so usual prospect: Aztec Gaughan III, which came available on CL and is gorgeous and screams potential but not much info available. Any thoughts? Any vintage sleepers out there I should consider?

Congratulations on joining the club!

Here's an old thread on the Aztec's which might be helpful. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/aztec-gauguin-iii-question.42628/

You might also look at Wharfedale speakers, particulary W70's and 90's, and of course Klipsch, particularly the Heritage line, if you want to stick to vintage.

I really liked the 1900. It drove Klipsch and Altec speakers very nicely. They were quiet, smooth and very realistic in reproduction. The VP of sales used to Drive ML-1's and 99% of the time its was up to the job. Of course it didn't match the 7150 or 2155 with C-29's or 30 series pre-amps. But the 1900 was a great piece. It made Yamahas, Kyrocerra, Kenwood and Tanbergs pale in comparison. I didn't have the power of the big Technics or Sansui's but up to about 50 watts it was a real winner. Driving a pair of Cornwalls was a real experience with the 1900. Folks thinking about a Mac tuner pre-amp with a small power amp on a budget found the 1900 to be a great alternative.

Its amazing the consensus there seems to be regarding pairing the 1900 with Klipsch heritage speakers. I hope to own some Cornwalls in the future, but for now looking for a similar type of synergy while sticking to a tight budget. Will be making a 2 hour drive tomorrow to listen to the Aztecs which feature large horn mids and tweeters with a conventional woofer. The guy also has other speaker offerings as well. They include JansZen Z-600s, Bozak B-302s, and ESS AMT-10Bs all within my budget. Theres also a set of nice looking MC ML-1Cs with MQ-102 equalizer on yee olde auction site which has my interest. Let me know if you have any thoughts regarding any of these.

I've heard good things about all those speakers. That's some selection you have there.

I really enjoy my Cornwall II's with my MC250/MX110 Mac combo. But also love my KLH Model Five, or Six's, with them. They are room filling speakers too, with a smaller footprint, and would sound great with your 1900. I used a 1700 with them and the combo was lovely. You should be able to find either/both pair for cheap compared to the speakers you're looking at, or the Cornwalls.

Back
Top Bottom