My garage system finally sounds great!

@udi0$lave

We moved into a new house last fall, and I claimed half of the garage as my workshop area, mostly for computer stuff and handyman projects. Here's a few pics and my story of vintage audio addiction.

First off, the garage was a clean slate and I wanted a little work area with a bit of a retro feel, so I jumped on CL and found an old credenza and a solid wooden door, which I fashioned into a workbench, and I love it. Total cost about $80. I added pegboard and shelves as well, along with an old early 60's office chair for $20. I later found a metal blueprint drawer that I'm using for tool storage. $75 on CL. I even found an old Westinghouse fan for $5 that I now have working like new.

The audio affliction started when I thought my old Onkyo TX-8210 wasn't working properly, so I decided to go vintage and also start collecting vinyl again. Being an IT guy, all my music was digital.

So...many receivers, speakers, tape decks, 2 cans of Deoxit, etc later, I have a system that sounds great to my ears. Budget-wise i think I did well also.

Here's what I'm running at the moment: Marantz 2220B, found on LetGo for $150 and re-lamped. Boston HD9's that I refoamed myself. $60 on CL. The refoam was a bit sloppy but they sound fantastic. Kenwood CD-404 CD changer, $17 at GW. Kenwood GE-4030 EQ, like new, $60 on CL, Sansui D-95 tape deck, $25 on the auction site, Yamaha P-220 TT, $50 on CL which needed a belt. I found a Toshiba 38" TV I'm using as a 2nd monitor to my little souped-up Dell Inspiron 11 laptop for video in the garage, which I have connected with TP-Link ethernet over powerline adapters for internet in the garage. I also have an Amazon Basics Bluetooth adapter connected for my Samsung tablet and phone. The inputs run through an RCA switcher into the EQ.

The speakers aren't in the best position so I may add a shelf over the tv and add some bookshelfs for B speakers, but overall I'm very happy with the sound and aesthetic!

View media item 15324
View media item 15325
View media item 15326
View media item 15327
View media item 15328

Last edited:
Nice gear, but with such a large space, why not spread the speakers much further apart?

Mine are spaced at roughly thirds of the room's width.

Update: I just picked up a Realistic STA-204, some KLH bookshelfs, and a Technics sl-pd807 CD changer, all near-mint, for $30 at an estate sale, so I added the CD to the stack to replace the Kenwood. The receiver and speakers are kind of "meh" so I'll probably sell them for a small profit or keep them to put on the patio for gatherings.

Back
Top Bottom