My girlfriends unusual home speaker shoot- out choices????FUNNY??

WAF = Wife Approval Factor, a very important scientific theory to learn early in life. :D

Or Wife Acceptance Factor, as actual Approval may be asking a bit much ... :) (A physician friend of mine refers to it as the Coeffecient of WAF.)

Last edited:
My wife hated my tall thin B&W's. Despised them. Then I stumbled across a mid-century "hi-fi furniture" console/speaker set. Stiffen the cabinets and add a wood "salad bowl" horn on top, and boom! I've got JBL horns in the living room! :jump:

Speaker%20Front.jpg

How about the art of the deal. Start with an ungodly outrageous pair and then "compromise" on something or meet in the middle with an awesome set of (insert speakers here.) Might be too late for some though.

I'm lucky, my wife's a speaker person. She even went "Oooo!" when I showed her some Cerwin Vega D18ee's I was pondering for the garage system. Got speakers all over the house, and so long as they work and you can still walk through the room, she's happy.

How about the art of the deal. Start with an ungodly outrageous pair and then "compromise" on something or meet in the middle with an awesome set of (insert speakers here.) Might be too late for some though.

I have 3 sets right now together. Two stacked (KG4 and Ns690) and one set of towers. I will be "downsizing" to only one set of Cornwalls soon. I use a numbers strategy.

I don't think it's funny. you're trying to tell her what she should like, not funny at all.

You guys have given me some great ideas. I have used the stacked speaker strategy suggested by Killer Fox in my spare bedroom music room,so far it's worked there. I have a Kenwood Basic M2A amp / C2 pre that i use in the basement that has the juice in need to make them sing but it has knobs and you have to get up and turn them , lol , no remote. Did i mention she also fears change?

I rebuilt an EL84 tube amp for my girl and gave her one of a pair of SL1200's I found. We've cycled through some speakers though. JBL L-16, AR4x, Wharfdale W3 and now a pair of rehabbed original Advents. I told her the Wharfdales could be slaughtered for their parts, (she is always pleased when I sell equipment) but she said that would make her feel sad and I should put them in the attic. She had grown attached to them as objects.

It can happen.

So far my wife likes the Magnepans the best, but I am not sure she is willing to let them out of the basement!

So are Polk Monitor 50's not good then? I'm in the market for floorstanders in the garage (my primary listening space) and the price is right. They would be pushing a Technics SL-Q202, a Schiit Mani preamp, a reasonably good Sony receiver, and a powered Sony sub. Nothing fancy.

I haven't bought anything yet - just shopping deals really.

Hi Teej, the Polk 50's tweeter seemed harsh and shrill to me and the vocals where forward, not a lot of bass, your gonna need a sub woofer, unless you don't like bass? They are a tall skinny tower, probably good for t.v. surround. they where o.k. Everyones ears hear different, she liked them, but now she's digging the Polk SDA's the more she's listening to them. Now i got to convince her we need the bigger amp up here because it does make a difference in the sound! If you could find some Polk monitor 7's they sound pretty decent and usually affordable.

My wife has never hated anything more than my beloved Bozak B-300s in The Cave. Completely ignores the unbelievable sound coming from them and the fact they're over 50 years old and in remarkable condition...

My wife enjoys my hobby. I bring home stuff regularly, set it up on the dining room table, put a pair or two of speakers in front and start testing them out. Every now and then, she will say that's very pretty, or that sounds really good, or that's not good. It is amazing how different amp/speaker combinations can create magic, or just don't work!

I try not to keep gear on the table too long. Every now and then, like last Saturday night, we will have a Champagne evening. We started off listening to some new records I got last week, and then tried some of them in different configurations. Ohm L, New Large Advents, Polk Audio Monitor 7s, Pioneer SX-535, Kenwood KR-5010, Sony STR-7045, but we almost always end up on the main system, MC2205, C26, B&O 4002, and B&O CDX and Kef Concerto's. Next weekend, it will be something completely different. I love this hobby! :music:

Last edited:
Nice Dittons there Bilbo! 332's? How did you like those? I found them to be surprisingly good.

I guess I'm "new school". I don't plan on living with anyone much less signing a marriage contract. I guess I'm part of that LAT trend; living apart together. I'm up front right out of the gate... I don't mislead as that leads to trouble.

My current gf loves it at least as much as I do. It's great to just have your space, share it when you feel like it and then have it all to yourself again when we've had "enough" of each other. I know this will seem strange to some but it works for us and I'm sure many others. Btw; I have 26 pairs of speakers in my home currently. That is the dark side of this route.

My gf loves how I've gotten her into audio over the past few years. I set her up at first with a simple Jbl l26, lenco l85 & marantz 2230 system which she adores. Trouble is that she's been spoiled in audio at my place and now wants that better sound in her home.... time for her to upgrade. A pair of 4412a's is step one for now.

I want to add that I do appreciate WAF/ SAF. I wouldn't have landed my Interface D's or 4430's without its existence;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom