My head on the chopping block. My experience with cables.

that's what my acoustic zen silver ic is, Teflon insulated. it is hands down, the best i have heard in my system. it replaced an aq ruby and have tried a wire from bill artope (dynamic design) which were good but no match for the silver zen.

. . . a vivitar camera takes pictures. a canon takes photographs. etc.

I hope that was tongue in cheek. I'm pretty sure that if I swapped my shitty point-and-shoot with whatever camera Diane Arbus or Eddie Adams used, their photos would still be better than mine.

Hello,
I have not heard any pure silver wires in my system, so can't make a useful comment. I have heard the stereotypical "silver is bright or harsh" opinions. I suspect most of the expert opinions, are just people passing along uninformed opinions of others with possibly no personal experience. In your case having actually tried them, I'd like to hear your opinion if you would share.

This I do know. Silver is more conductive than copper. Teflon has a low dielectric constant (DK) 2.1. It is the best or very close to the best of the insulators.

From the material science point of view, the cables you speak of have better materials and that should mean less harm. Not necessarily "bright or harsh" but maybe less harmed? Very difficult for me to believe that an improved conductor material results in a degradation or harm. But honestly, have no experience with the silver wire.

Refreshing to hear guys say the brand they use and the opinion they share.. Good on AK.. So many experts on line with blanket statements and indisputable opinions. Ask them what they actually have tried, and they often can't remember.

Please share your actual experience.

Last edited:
Wondering if you have ever listened to ic's or sc's made up of teflon covered silver and what your opinion of them is. To be more exact, I mean, "all silver and real teflon".

I have and have an opinion. I'd like to hear others.

Post above was meant to be reply.

I find its the connectors, more than the wire that makes a difference. I'm having several sets made with a way to connect up to 8 pairs of 12 gauge connected to each Banana, which has a way to tighten them once connected. Pictures when they work reliably.

I suspect most of the expert opinions, are just people passing along uninformed opinions of others with possibly no personal experience.

No doubt.

Please share your actual experience.

I don't find them bright or harsh in the least. I use them exclusively in my more modern tube and ss systems. What surprised me the most was when I got a vintage Marantz receiver (Model 19). I was using some generic copper wire with it. I had a set of 8' silver/teflon (s/t) laying around unused, didn't think it would be a good match (early ss/transistor :yikes:). Curiosity got the best of me...sounded better than the copper.

I would describe 's/t' as just a more honest cable. If you have bright and/or harsh sounding components, it just lets more of that thru. Don't shoot the messenger. btw, I don't like silver plated copper even if it's coated with teflon.

I have a guess that, while silver is a better conductor than copper (maybe only 6%?), the better sound I hear might be due to the teflon. Before anyone parts with their $ to buy/try any s/t, ask the seller/manufacturer if you can hold a flame under it. If the insulation melts, it's not pure teflon.

Back
Top Bottom