My Intro

We'll expect a full review, writeup, and pirate video. :D

Actually, all three of these things exist if you got to rushisaband.com and check out the tour section (it's right at the top). People who attended different concerts on the current tour post comments and reviews and there are even some bootleg videos from some concerts hosted on YouTube. I haven't really looked at this section of that website though, since I don't want to spoil the show by knowing everything ahead of time! :no:

I'll second, third and fourth that!
We were thinking of heading to Minneapolis to see them but I'm just not up to it. Rasassasfrassin #%^##@#!!!

Sorry to hear that, but hey, at least you got to see Rush during their "glory years"! Personally my favorite Rush concert albums are from their last two tours: Rush in Rio and R30 (I think they just play better than ever before and the sound is better, at least judging by all their past live albums, though Exit is just classic). But to have been a Rush fan and to have seen them on tour in the late 70's and early 80's when they were huge, man, it never got better than that in rock history! :thmbsp:

...But to have been a Rush fan and to have seen them on tour in the late 70's and early 80's when they were huge, man, it never got better than that in rock history! :thmbsp:

No, it didn't. I saw them several times in the DC area when I lived back east then and was in awe each time. I was only sad that such things as the entire 2112-suite didn't translate well to live concert, but the radio cuts did and truth be told....t'ain't nothing like Rush live.

All the classic huge groups are still grinding: The Rolling Stones, the Scorpions, Rush.... there doesn't seem to be anyone with any staying power ready behind them. Scorpions should hang it up, as should the Stones. Rush seems to keep on cranking.

No, it didn't. I saw them several times in the DC area when I lived back east then and was in awe each time. I was only sad that such things as the entire 2112-suite didn't translate well to live concert, but the radio cuts did and truth be told....t'ain't nothing like Rush live.

Well I wasn't talking about the perfect sound, just the excitement of seeing them back then. :thmbsp:

Have you heard 2112 (yep, in it's entirety) on Different Stages? It's pretty damn good, and I got to see them play it live twice on the Test for Echo tour (they came through St. Louis twice, this was all right before Neil's tragedies :tears:) which is what the live album Different Stages material mostly comes from.

But this goes with my view that they got even better playing live the longer they have done so. When Different Stages came out it surpassed Exit as my favorite Rush live album, then Rush in Rio surpassed Different Stages, and now R30 is my current favorite (rumour has it they are recording shows on this tour for another live dvd/cd album! :banana:)

You have to wonder how much longer they will keep going...

When Snakes and Arrows was released I remember Alex or Geddy (or both) commenting on how much fun it was to make that album and that they would definitely like to do another album with Nick R. again. :thmbsp:

Also, I recently saw some clip where Geddy is talking about his basses (it was on YouTube, if you search "Rush" there you'll find tons of videos from interviews to old music videos to bootlegs btw) and he is talking about experimenting with the sound from some new bass he got (maybe the fretless he used on MalNar on SnA) and how it'd will be interesting to see how he could use it on an album someday.

I think we can expect a few more albums and a few more tours out of Rush, but I have to say that I don't see them touring in their 60's, their music is just too intense and fast paced for that. I don't even understand how they are better than ever (imo) now live. Hell, I'm 30 and I can tell I don't have the energy and reaction time I did when I was 20 in general and for playing tennis, cycling, or hiking specifically!

PS: How did this turn into a Rush thread? lol

All the classic huge groups are still grinding: The Rolling Stones, the Scorpions, Rush.... there doesn't seem to be anyone with any staying power ready behind them. Scorpions should hang it up, as should the Stones. Rush seems to keep on cranking.

I don't know about that, one of the things I missed out on was all the great bands of the 70's and 80's (and 60's) by being born too late!

For instance, all these bands, who are among my favorites, are either long gone or don't have the original lineup or "classic" lineup anymore (and most haven't had their original members for years, even decades) if and when they do attempt to tour or make some new album after numerous retirements or breakups (and it's been like this for years or even decades):

The Doors
The Beatles
Queen
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Led Zep
Jimi Hendrix
Jethro Tull
Metallica
Styx
AC/DC
Yes
The Police

Some of this is obvious of course (some members are dead!) and the rest just were like most bands and had about 5 to 10 good years and then either broke up (and then getting back together for a album or tour and then breaking up again, over and over) or started putting out some real crap and eventually just quitting (but again maybe getting back together for an album or tour and then quitting again, over and over).

There just aren't many bands like Rush who have had the same line up for over 30 years and never broke up or went into retirement (even after Neil lost his wife and daughter) and never, imo, even made a bad album (though Test For Echo is just ok, and the original Rush is too). Consistent productivity, quality, talent, creativeness, and long life are rare for rock bands, especially involving all the original members (and is a band really the same band after the 10th line-up change where there are about 2 original members left?).

What's Rush? :scratch2:

I don't know, some band I'm seeing this Fri., I heard they were good live.

PS: I might get to go backstage and meet them (a friend knows someone...). :D

I'll say hi for you if I do, and tell them to come play for you in your backyard. :thmbsp:

(They are coming to Toronto in Sept., is that closer to you?).

I don't know, some band I'm seeing this Fri., I heard they were good live.

PS: I might get to go backstage and meet them (a friend knows someone...). :D

I'll say hi for you if I do, and tell them to come play for you in your backyard. :thmbsp:

(They are coming to Toronto in Sept., is that closer to you?).

Oh man, please get me an autograph!!
Toronto is 900Km from here, Minneapolis is much much closer.
Please get me an autograph!! :thmbsp:

Lol, calm down guys, I really don't even know if I will even get backstage, and if I do, if I will even meet them or just kind of hang out back there.

I would have thought you guys would've probably gotten backstage yourself at some point. :scratch2:

Broons: Sorry about my ignorance of geography, I just saw Ontario in your location and figured you'd be closer to Toronto. I did get a chance to go up to Ontario for about a week when I was 19 (nice to be able to drink up there at that age lol, the beer store was great!) and saw Toronto and Niagara Falls and some of the wine country. Canada was a nice, clean, and friendly country, much better than the states. :thmbsp:

Anyway guys, if I get backstage I'll see what I can do. :thmbsp: I really hadn't thought about autographs or what I'd get them to sign. :scratch2:

Down boy down! :zoom:

Where you were in Ontario is just a tiny part of the province...Ontario is huge :)

Have fun at the show and I really hope you get backstage. They are in Minneapolis on September 9th and it's killing me not being able to go, it's only 5 hours from here :tears::tears:

Down boy down! :zoom:

Where you were in Ontario is just a tiny part of the province...Ontario is huge :)

Have fun at the show and I really hope you get backstage. They are in Minneapolis on September 9th and it's killing me not being able to go, it's only 5 hours from here :tears::tears:

Uh, you know I'm trying to remember, I think Brantford? :scratch2:

My friend's dad got transferred up to Canada for a couple of years for a job (he thought it was permanent at the time), so he had a house he bought and he was staying in it all by himself at first (his wife and daughter and son were staying back in the states at the time; the wife to keep working at her job and my friend to keep going to the same college and his daughter to finish high school).

So he was up there by himself in this big, all brick, beautiful ranch house with a nice finished basement (he had transferred up there partly because it was a very good paying job, I remember the garage was heated and he bought a new Cadillac, not to mention he and his wife still had their old house back in the states that was nice as well) so he said it was cool if we came up there to just see the sights and stay with him and not worry about paying for hotel rooms (he even paid for some of our groceries and eating out). :thmbsp: I always liked to travel when I could, and always wanted to see Canada (Rush's Graceland lol :D) so me and another friend headed up there with his son to visit for about a week (I think the trip from St. Louis took 12 hours and we went through Detroit and his dad was a few hours away from the border).

Anyway, this was so long ago (over 10 years and back when I was young lol) that's it's hard to remember all the details. I remember Tim Horton's everywhere, and the Beer Store and Liquor Store almost everywhere too lol. We took two seperate day trips to Toronto and Niagara Falls, both of which were quite a drive from where we were from what I remember (Toronto, btw, is probably the best, cleanest, and friendliest city I've ever been in, and I've been through quite a few, especially as a kid vacationing out west with my family). We also just hung out at some local bars and nightclubs since we were of the drinking age up there. It was a great little trip. :thmbsp:

Anyway, I'm sorry you can't go see them this tour, but at least you've seen them before! :thmbsp: I'd say I have about a 50/50 chance of getting backstage: this guy I know is no B.S.'er, but I think Rush is pretty private and restrictive with who gets backstage, and I think you'd have to win a contest in order to really meet them from what I've read about people who got backstage (like on the Counterparts message board). I think otherwise you kind of just hang out back there and maybe catch a glimpse of them. We'll see. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom