My JBL4312 RestoMod Project

Thanks. I assume the base paint is this:

pACE3-12334760enh-z7.jpg

They also offer an exterior flat enamel, but the product code for that one starts with 127.

I just have some very tiny chipped areas, mostly around the woofers, that need touched up. I may be better off having them do a paint match for my specific speakers since there really is no one single shade of JBL Blue. It varied over time.

I think that's what it was. It was for sure Clark + Kensington. I didn't really pay that close of attention and I'm not at home where I can check. Matching might be a good idea... in case there is fade or it was a slightly different shade. Mine started out as black... so it was a full color change.

- Woody

I think that's what it was. It was for sure Clark + Kensington. I didn't really pay that close of attention and I'm not at home where I can check. Matching might be a good idea... in case there is fade or it was a slightly different shade. Mine started out as black... so it was a full color change.

- Woody

I actually swung by an Ace hardware on my lunch hour and picked up a quart. At this particular Ace, they can only do a color match on a small sample. It has to fit the narrow opening in there scanner. So, they can't do a color match on one of my speakers (which I didn't have with me anyway). So, I just had them mix me up a quart using the RAL5007 values. The sample spot on the lid looks brighter than my 4301Bs, but that's from memory. I haven't compared them side-by-side yet. If it's not a good match, I'll just repaint the front baffles with the new color.

What did you use to apply the paint to yours, brush, foam applicator or roller?

I actually swung by an Ace hardware on my lunch hour and picked up a quart. At this particular Ace, they can only do a color match on a small sample. It has to fit the narrow opening in there scanner. So, they can't do a color match on one of my speakers (which I didn't have with me anyway). So, I just had them mix me up a quart using the RAL5007 values. The sample spot on the lid looks brighter than my 4301Bs, but that's from memory. I haven't compared them side-by-side yet. If it's not a good match, I'll just repaint the front baffles with the new color.

I used a 2” brush to get into the corners and sides and then rolled it with a med nap 4” roller. Turned out pretty decent. In a pefect world with the facilities I’d spray them.

- Woody

Touched up a couple small spots on my 4301Bs last night with the RAL5007 from Ace Hardware and let it dry overnight. The RAL5007 is WAY brighter than my stock baffles. I know there is no single shade of JBL Blue. So, now I need to either commit to repainting the baffles with the RAL5007, or try to find a better match for the minor touch up work mine need.

Touched up a couple small spots on my 4301Bs last night with the RAL5007 from Ace Hardware and let it dry overnight. The RAL5007 is WAY brighter than my stock baffles. I know there is no single shade of JBL Blue. So, now I need to either commit to repainting the baffles with the RAL5007, or try to find a better match for the minor touch up work mine need.

Yes. I’m the thread where I got the RAL code originally there was plenty of debate about what is “JBL blue.” I wasn’t worried about it cause of the total repaint.

Maybe you could go pull some chips from the rack at ace and match one to your baffles at home?

- Woody

Drivers are installed. They look good. Mirror imaged pair. I even installed the drivers mirror imaged where the leads are visible on the cones of the woofs and mids.

Just need to recover the grills and get my badges. Engraving shop is being slow.

- Woody

A034DABC-5512-444D-BF32-64A8D7EB000C.jpeg 251780D4-502D-4E00-AB4B-60BF8302FF1E.jpeg C0123E3C-A6C9-4A51-BE2B-A43DC23BFF86.jpeg

Last edited:
Grills are covered. Just waiting on the badges! See post #8!

- Woody

Decided to give them a listen yesterday. They sound great. Actually a lot better than I was expecting. I’m running the L-Pads wide open. Going to give the new caps some time to burn in before dialing them in.

Running them with my Parasound pair and my Technics SL-1200 with an alloy bodied DL-103 on it. Sounds great.

More thoughts with time.

- Woody

F3D84BD6-776F-4F22-B0E7-9225E95FC2A6.jpeg

how do they sound set up in free air like that?

Great. In my experience all speakers benefit from being away from boundaries. You get to hear the speaker with less boundary reenforcment artificially inflating the bass.

- Woody

Decided to give them a listen yesterday. They sound great. Actually a lot better than I was expecting. I’m running the L-Pads wide open. Going to give the new caps some time to burn in before dialing them in.

Running them with my Parasound pair and my Technics SL-1200 with an alloy bodied DL-103 on it. Sounds great.

More thoughts with time.

- Woody

View attachment 1100096

Nice, very nice. Not just the speakers, but the entire space.

Two questions:

1) What camera is on the tripod? When I first saw the photo, I thought it may be one of these:

5223882792_8eac346171_b.jpg

When I zoom in, I'm not so sure.

2) Is the orange chair an Adrian Pearsall?

Nice, very nice. Not just the speakers, but the entire space.

Two questions:
1) What camera is on the tripod?

2) Is the orange chair an Adrian Pearsall?

1. That’s just my old reliable Nikon D90. I like folding cameras though. I have a few.

2. You have a sharp eye. The chair is an Adrian Pearsall design, but not one of his actual chairs. It needs rehabbed. I bought it from a dealer in Chicago.

I have a beautiful, museum quality original Plycraft Mr. Chair designed by George Mulhauser. And I have 10 original Knoll Bertoia wire chairs in white with grey vinyl pads around my dining room table I sourced from a dealer in Brooklyn.

Those are my “legit” MCM seating pieces.

I have a few others that aren’t really special. But here’s some pics. Some are kinda crappy. And some are old from when I was just moving into my loft. But you might enjoy them.

- Woody

43BD8E15-FCBC-4E12-AB5D-95DAFA52C891.jpeg
750B47FB-D44F-43FB-95D5-324B489BFC6B.jpeg
6CF1E2F7-FF37-4F3C-A03A-691263A03F59.jpeg
65B94240-0BAB-47AC-B933-AD452C8E2CBE.jpeg
7CECCF08-1DEB-42AD-9FAC-F51AAA520C1E.jpeg
B9966D2B-A632-4C3C-8FB2-E401D7F3047C.jpeg
8B2AB3A4-338A-4DFC-8119-EF5D1331D343.jpeg
B76DD082-C14A-4E64-81D8-7FE1C1AF0D5C.jpeg
F155155F-0F47-4BD5-ADA7-B50A5B2A3C26.jpeg

1. That’s just my old reliable Nikon D90. I like folding cameras though. I have a few.

2. You have a sharp eye. The chair is an Adrian Pearsall design, but not one of his actual chairs. It needs rehabbed. I bought it from a dealer in Chicago.

I have a beautiful, museum quality original Plycraft Mr. Chair designed by George Mulhauser. And I have 10 original Knoll Bertoia wire chairs in white with grey vinyl pads around my dining room table I sourced from a dealer in Brooklyn.

Those are my “legit” MCM seating pieces.

I have a few others that aren’t really special. But here’s some pics. Some are kinda crappy. And some are old from when I was just moving into my loft. But you might enjoy them.

- Woody

View attachment 1100772
View attachment 1100770
View attachment 1100768
View attachment 1100769
View attachment 1100767
View attachment 1100766
View attachment 1100765
View attachment 1100764
View attachment 1100763

The Eames lounge chair is iconic and unique, deservedly so, but you don't see the Mr. Chair everyday. Which makes me want one all the more. You can pick up Eames clones from any number of sources. I've never seen a Mr. Chair clone.

Careful Woody, this thread isn't going to be about the lovely JBLs anymore. :thumbsup:

I actually double checked which thread I was posting in before all the pics. Figured it was okay to derail my own thread. ;-)

I am the rabbit trail king.

-Woody

I actually double checked which thread I was posting in before all the pics. Figured it was okay to derail my own thread. ;-)

I am the rabbit trail king.

-Woody

I'm totally cool with it. To me, great speakers and great furniture go hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom