My KR-5400

rickl

I'm just a bass player
Subscriber
I vowed not to pick up a receiver but found this one today cheap. Owner said it didn't work, sounded muffled, and just wanted to get rid of it.

Got it home and plugged it to the DBT. Relay clicked in. Let it warm up and DC offset was 5mV. Plugged it in to AC, connected speakers and it works great. 3 dial lights out but FM meter and stereo indicator bulbs work.

Not a scratch on the cover. Kind of odd. Never seen that before.

Looking closer, I noticed it took a hit to the volume pot and bent the frame and cracked the face plate. Oh well.

Might be perfect for the garage or I'll cut some plexiglass for face plate.

I'm sure you know what these look like but here are a few pics.
kr5400-before.jpg kr5400-bent.jpg kr-5400.jpg

Got the knobs soaking in dawn, washed and waxed the aluminum.

Got the tone board recapped.
kr-5400-tone-board.jpg

I don't have fresh caps for all the electrolytics but I was able to replace a few electrolytics on the power supply and preamp board and the 1uF coupling caps with WIMAs on the preamp and power amp boards. I need to replace a pair of 3.3uF couplers into the opamp and all of the coupling caps will be fresh. I have them but it was getting late on a school night.

What I found really nice was kenwood's board layout has multiple lead spacing for a few caps. I was able to replace a 15mm (?) with a 5mm cap.

BTW, i sprayed all the pots and switches with contact cleaner. only the bass control needs another hit. Missed that in my first post. I didn't even try to listen to it before cleaning.

Last edited:
Mouser order* came in today. I typically add 3.3/50 wimas to each order. Good thing since I needed a couple. Now all couplers are fresh and only the tone amp has electrolytics.

tone.jpg

Got most of the remaining electrolytics replaced from my inventory. Still each need a few more for a complete re-cap but I still listened to the receiver aux for a while. Sounded great.

*order to finish a marantz 250. cross your fingers on that one.

guessing that quad switch on the back has been cleaned? Lost a channel in that switch once. Things back there were starting to fall apart as opposed to just being dirty, IIRC.

I have a 4400, also had problems with that Quad switch, one channel kept cutting in/out.
Flushed it out with DeOxit, no more problems. Took awhile to figure out that was the
problem.

My oldest girl took one of those to college and abused it for 3 years. It almost lasted the entire stretch, one channel quit last semester.
You look to have done justice to yours, it deserves a better fate than our old one :D
Looks fantastic, as does your craftsmanship

Back
Top Bottom