My last Ebay purchase

opt80

Subscriber
After waiting a day less of a month for the NEC CDP it arrived at work today.I wasn't working,but Lisa phoned to tell me it was in.
I was dinged $7.80 for Customs and the package was a bit beat up.
When I opened the box it was filled with newspaper and the cdp was single bubblewrapped.
I powered her up pressed open\close the drawer is still shut.There were transit screws but they were long gone.I suspect the relay to the drawer is shot,as on power-up she whines.
I finally got the drawer open with a spoon and a word that starts with "F".
I emailed the seller but I suspect this will go to Safe harbor or more likely the Charlottetown harbor.
That is twice now I got burned in a row.The excitement of ebay is gone,I'll buy from AKers or locals

On a good news,I got my car back,new transmission and new fuel pump dodad.Runs like a top,I suspect the wheels must be out of balance:lmao:

Alan

Bummer on the cdp deal, Alan. Mebbe just put it in the warehouse with the rest of 'em- surely you'll need a parts unit for that model before too much longer.

:rolleyes: :p:

In all seriousness, I've about given up on ebay as well, even though I've been lucky over the years. Come to think of it, after scaling back to straight 40 hour weeks a few weeks ago, I don't have any disposable income for toys left anyway.

Thanks Toze,
I think because it took so long to get,I hated the thing before I got it.Much like my EX..took a long time to get her then found out her relay switch was gone

Alan

Originally posted by opt80
Thanks Toze,
I think because it took so long to get,I hated the thing before I got it.Much like my EX..took a long time to get her then found out her relay switch was gone

Alan

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hey Alan - I've got a nice Philips CDP, if interested.:D (not)

Of course, you've been burned by an AKer too. Maybe bad luck just follows you around. :dunno:

JD

Originally posted by JDaniel
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hey Alan - I've got a nice Philips CDP, if interested.:D (not)

Of course, you've been burned by an AKer too. Maybe bad luck just follows you around. :dunno:

JD

I'm gonna start buying every BPC cd player I run across, knowing that there's a ready market on PEI!

:p:

A spoon is not a tool to open the drawer or make it work better.

The problem is possibly caused by the belt which could have streched.

Depends on the mechanism used to signal open/closed door. My circa 1984 MCS Series A 6801 (Technics built), has the tray driven directly by a geared roller as opposed to a belt. Occasionally when I first got it it would continue to make its little whirring sound after loading a CD, when I figured if there was no belt there must be some reason it does not work properly. Inside was a metal leaf type contact, when the tray would load in, it would close the contact, the rather complex loading system would spin the tray's support platter down floating the CD on the spindle. Problem was the contact was dirty, so it did not always make contact, hence the motor would sometimes just hum away with the door closed. Solution? Clean the contact (very gently). Works fine now.

Other odd CD player problems, I have a Nikko CDP which I use on the test bench because it is in rough cosmetic shape. When I first got it, it actually ejected the entire loading platter completely! (Who has seen that happen before???) Problem was related to the same thing as above, had metal leaf contacts to tell when the tray was in the in or out position. One of them was bent, so the tray did not hit it, hence when I pushed open the whole tray just proceeded to eject. Thankfully it was easy to get back in and the thing still works.

These vintage CDPs can be troublesome due to age. I saw a beautiful Hitachi at the thrift but its belt was shot. Would not have minded owning that early unit. Only my Akai CD-A7 has never given a hint of trouble. The MCS works fine now and is one of my favorite CD players. They may take some work but when they work, they usually do a decent job of it.

EBayer has offered me a partial refund

A spoon works for everything

my car is a Sephia LS, Kia replaced the transmission ,only to find the fuel injector pump was screwed.

Alan

Originally posted by tentoze
I'm gonna start buying every BPC cd player I run across, knowing that there's a ready market on PEI!

:p:

Har,har,har I only buy them at your cost,Toze

Alan

Which model NEC CD player?

If it matches the one that I have that works fine except that a piece of thin cork that was part of the clamping mechanism came off, and thus it can't clamp discs properly, and if you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Originally posted by joelll
Which model NEC CD player?

If it matches the one that I have that works fine except that a piece of thin cork that was part of the clamping mechanism came off, and thus it can't clamp discs properly, and if you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Joe,
It was a 650 Nec.Thanks for the offer but it has gone to the CDP heaven in the River,I mean sky

Alan

Alan if it makes you feel any better my week has sucked too. Bought a 91 Sunbird to replace my quickly disintegrating 94 Tempo. Well after $1,300 in work to get the vehicle certified my wife took it to work tonight. After 15 minutes on the highway it stalls at the off ramp and can't be put in gear w/o stalling. I call roadside assistance to go pick up the POS and tow it to the garage which had replaced the tranny less than a week ago. Well don't the roadside assistance "clowns" inform me that I had to be with the vehicle for them to tow it. I told them I'm at home ( about 20 miles from the car) with 3 young kids, so are you telling me I have to drag them 20 miles to watch a car get towed when my wife is waiting with the vehicle? Why yes Sir thats what were telling you. After a F.U. and a few M f'ers I told my cellphone company to stick their roadside assistance up their collective asses. Once I got to the vehicle it worked just fine. My best guess is the solenoid for the lock up converter is shot. When the vehicle gets warm it won't lock/unlock properly.

Mike

Geez Mike,what a piss-off!I hope you can get her fixed without too much more expense>have you tried a spoon?

Alan

Had a 88 Cavaleer that did that, when I came to a stop I would put it in neutral and goose it, the lockup would kick out, then I could put it back in gear with all OK. After about a week of this it finally stopped going into OD, mileage went from 32 to 36 on the road and I never worried about it again till it started to KnocK at 210K - trashed it to a car lot and got a 88 Taurus, not a bad car but 3 AC compressors and a transmission later it has 375K+ on the 3L V6.

Hey Alan:

If you can get the the N.B. end of the bridge you can toss the CDP over into the Atlantic and we can all watch on the P.E.I. Bridge Web Cam :D

Paul

PS: I can hear the splash from here!

Paul,I'll just throw it out the back door into the Hillsborough River,
It will probably float out to sea

Alan

I have a Magnavox CDP all packed and ready to ship. The buyer, in Hong Kong, wrote and said he could not have it shipped but offered the full price anyway. Told him to just send me the cost of the listing. Are you looking for a specific brand or just a CDP? This one was made in Belgium, hence the detachable line cord.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom