My listening space, a work in progress!

TimF

E1304530-6AE8-440D-81CA-682D84926A87.jpeg My listening space, what used to be the “living room”. A work in progress, new Impression Series GiK Acoustics diffusion/absorber panels in place. Thinking about moving my air-bearing turn table over to the main stand top shelf along with phono stage, all of which are on a separate rack to left of picture. Still debating that though...more to come in due time!

Nice!!! Is that carved wood panels covering the absorbers?
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/impression-4inch-bass-trap-diffusor-absorber/

They are a wood product, with a wood veneer covering. The pattern in the photo above is called Wavy Leaves. I've seen GiK's panels in person--they are nicely made and look good, and also perform very well as they provide both diffusion and absorption. One of my Chicago pals was considering some for his basement/man cave system.

Nice. What speakers?

They are German made Duevel Venus, an omnidirectional speaker. 8" main driver and a 1.3" soft dome tweeter. Minimal crossover network, fairly easy to drive, and they work very well in my space. Sorry for the delay in responding, it has been one of those weeks!

Last edited:
djnagle-yeah, what Wildcat said! Thanks Wildcat! They are pretty nice panels, especially considering the cost of them. My only complaint is that the "veneer" that covers a thin chipboard like material for the artistic part is very thin and easily chipped. These come four to a box, out of the first four, two were damaged. I got two replacements and both of those had damage to them. Thing is, they appeared to be very well wrapped with corner/edge guards and all, yet still corner chipping and some edge chipping happened I am assuming during shipment. I didn't bother replacing the other two. It is small, but just wasn't going to go through the hassle of it all. Bottom line though is that they work and do what I needed them to do.

Thanks all for the likes/comments, I appreciate that and again, sorry for delayed response!

Your space looks nice and clean, well organized. Can you expand on the Duevel speakers? They look very interesting. I have a pair of Hegeman Model 1's that are in a state of repair. They are my only omni directional speakers and I liked them very much when I had them running. They are a two way with an approximately 7" driver running open and a Phillips .75" mylar dome with a 3uf cap on one of the leads.

Your space looks nice and clean, well organized. Can you expand on the Duevel speakers? They look very interesting. I have a pair of Hegeman Model 1's that are in a state of repair. They are my only omni directional speakers and I liked them very much when I had them running. They are a two way with an approximately 7" driver running open and a Phillips .75" mylar dome with a 3uf cap on one of the leads.

Thank you litefootdan, appreciate it! The component make up of the Venus is above in post #7. As far as sonics go, they fit well with my room, which is a fairly open floor plan. Typical soundstaging of an Omni, they stretch the room both sideways and also depth, yet not in any unrealistic way. They still portray what the recording gives, not more, not less. I think many people may not give Omni speakers a good chance, as most are so accustomed to front firing, typical box speakers. These certainly have a slightly different perspective, but one I call more like live music. They have a very layered appeal to them, the stage has a depth to it that again, is very life-like. Very decent and reasonable bass for a fairly smallish cabinet overall, in-room I have solid bass to right at 40 Hz, and still decent output lower.

These are fairly easy to site, but do pay rewards for getting positioning right. While one could pretty much plonk them down anywhere in the room within reason and get decent sound, like any speaker, it pays to give them the attention in order to get the best out of them. I drive these with amps that are good for about 90 plus watts/4 ohm load, which is what the impedance is stated for them. The crossover is a fairly simple one, phase correct(or about as phase correct as one can be), it is not a difficult speaker to drive, tubes, solid state, pick what you like.

I have had more Omni speakers in my lifetime than any other, Ohm, Larsen, Shahinian etc., and I tend to like what they sound like in my space. I cannot imagine selling these on, if only to maybe move up a notch on the Duevel lineup-but I better win the lotto for that one!

Hegeman's are interesting speakers, I have not heard them however. I also am intrigued by Morrisson Omni's too from Canada, also similar to the Hegeman and no doubt designed after it in ways. Good stuff there! If you want to know anymore, let me know, happy to discuss!

Thank you litefootdan, appreciate it! The component make up of the Venus is above in post #7. As far as sonics go, they fit well with my room, which is a fairly open floor plan. Typical soundstaging of an Omni, they stretch the room both sideways and also depth, yet not in any unrealistic way. They still portray what the recording gives, not more, not less. I think many people may not give Omni speakers a good chance, as most are so accustomed to front firing, typical box speakers. These certainly have a slightly different perspective, but one I call more like live music. They have a very layered appeal to them, the stage has a depth to it that again, is very life-like. Very decent and reasonable bass for a fairly smallish cabinet overall, in-room I have solid bass to right at 40 Hz, and still decent output lower.

These are fairly easy to site, but do pay rewards for getting positioning right. While one could pretty much plonk them down anywhere in the room within reason and get decent sound, like any speaker, it pays to give them the attention in order to get the best out of them. I drive these with amps that are good for about 90 plus watts/4 ohm load, which is what the impedance is stated for them. The crossover is a fairly simple one, phase correct(or about as phase correct as one can be), it is not a difficult speaker to drive, tubes, solid state, pick what you like.

I have had more Omni speakers in my lifetime than any other, Ohm, Larsen, Shahinian etc., and I tend to like what they sound like in my space. I cannot imagine selling these on, if only to maybe move up a notch on the Duevel lineup-but I better win the lotto for that one!

Hegeman's are interesting speakers, I have not heard them however. I also am intrigued by Morrisson Omni's too from Canada, also similar to the Hegeman and no doubt designed after it in ways. Good stuff there! If you want to know anymore, let me know, happy to discuss!
Ohms are my favorite

View attachment 1338433 My listening space, what used to be the “living room”. A work in progress, new Impression Series GiK Acoustics diffusion/absorber panels in place. Thinking about moving my air-bearing turn table over to the main stand top shelf along with phono stage, all of which are on a separate rack to left of picture. Still debating that though...more to come in due time!
Cool! :)

My home made panels work great buy don't look anywhere as "finished" as those. That looks like such a comfortable room. Nice rig in a nice space. Well done.

Thanks Bob, your panels look great, and the main thing is that they are doing the intended job in your space! Sometimes I tend to like plain and simple, but these just seem to work and look good too. Enjoy your system and room, you have done well!

Back
Top Bottom