My little stack.

Nixxuz

So after years of loving audio, and having many systems here and there, I finally have settled down and bought a house with my SO. She said she wanted nothing to do with the basement, as it's mostly bare concrete floors and unfinished joists for ceilings. Lots of cobwebs and exposed duct work.

I claimed it as my gaming area and listening room.

When I told her what I was planning, she wanted to know why I wanted "another stereo". Before we bought this place, we were renting. I didn't have enough room, nor a proper "square" of a room, to put a real stereo for music in. So I compromised and went with a Denon AVRS510BT hooked to 4 Mirage Nanosat Prestige, an Omnisat CCv2, and a BIC RTR EV1200. It sounds pretty good, and for movies it's quite adequate. She said, "Why can't you just listen to music in the living room with that stereo?"

I explained the idea of a room for MUSIC ONLY. Not for playing audio while doing other stuff. I told her it was for "listening like an adult". She won't pretend that she gets it, but she told me the basement was mine, go have fun.

So I'm just starting to build a system. I found a pair of Polk Monitor 60's on CL for $125. Added a Dayton SUB1500 for dat low end. And for a short time I was using one of those Monoprice hybrid amps because I like that "tubish" sound. After a little research I figured out what I wanted and slapped together this combo. It sound quite sweet to my ears. I'm slowly going through a ton of music I rejected in my early years because I was so "edgelord" when I was younger. (I'm closing in on 42 soon). And my lord...going through a FLAC compilation of 80's pop has left my jaw on the floor. Same with mainstays of 70's and 80's rock. Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, sophomore Stones...even stuff like Depeche Mode and Joy Division...the list of stuff I never appreciated is endless. I sit at work and daydream about going home to my recliner and just listening for hours.

Little Dot MkII with rolled G.E. 5654W NOS, and an actual metal volume knob.

Open Box Dayton APA-150.

Running PowerAmp from a 128GB tablet to the Dot.

I apologize for all the JPEG!

(and yes, that is little squares of painters tape over the LEDs. Damn things are just too bright)

dkscq5jxi6yz.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom