My Main/Shop System

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by 55Redneck, Dec 19, 2017.

1. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

I have a 15x27 single car shop that is now mostly a music room. When I first joined AK I had a 65 Barracuda project that I was building in there but a series of strokes in Aug of 2013 put an end to my car building and guitar playing days so I decided as much as I love music I wanted to try putting together a good sounding setup on the cheap. As it stands now I have a Pioneer SX D7000 powering things, and turntable duties are handled by a JVC QLA2 (and sometimes a Dual 510). CD's are played in a Carver TL300 player, and cassettes are spun through a Technics RS-TR 272 dual deck. Output of said sources come through a pair of rather ugly but great sounding Luxman LX 104 MKII speakers and at the moment a pair of Axiom AX 1.5's, and for a bit more bottom end I also have an Energy powered 100 watt 8" sub that does the job nicely. (I forget the model#)

Attached Files:

2. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Hi Red!

Now, that is truly the seat of Power, Authority, and Wisdom -- Just call the occupant . . . :bowdown:...PAW!

Your sanctuary is especially interesting to me because my winter plans, once I do a massive clean-out of my shop (24'X30') and dump the leftovers from a summer of lawnmower repair and speaker building, is to do exactly what you've done - install a nice Captain's Chair with remotes at my fingertips and readily awaiting my commands.

By the way, I have a Pioneer SX-D7000 receiver sitting beside me, too! Those are some wonderful little toys, aren't they? ;) Mine isn't quite as nice as yours cosmetically, and has fallen victim to the maladies typically seen in the SX-D series receivers: the easily-dented (too thin!) aluminum "faceplates" for the two control areas, and the back-lighted bass/treble gliders which stay unlighted and AWOL. :dunno:

Looking forward to more narrative and photos as you continue to navigate the post-stroke world. Will be praying for your rapid recovery.

GeeDeeEmm

3. 55Redneck

Hi GD. I set it up like that because remotes for the most part bug me and I don't like getting up to turn the record over. I gotta say that the speaker wiring ain't pretty because they go along the ceiling and hang down to the speakers but it works for me. I also love my old beaten and worn recliner, it came from my Mom's place after she passed and it's so comfy when I used to visit her on the coast I'd sleep in it because it was more comfy than the couch. ;) Do you have heat in your shop? I got tired of running those oil filled radiant heaters for 2 or 3 hours before it was warm eneough to work on my Cuda in the winter so I put in a small wood stove.

The SX D7000, I wholely agree with you about being wonderful toys, I adore mine and got so lucky that I found it (and a PL630 TT from same person). The cosmetics on mine are good but inside and out it was nicotine yellow with enough dust bunnies inside to build your own house cat. It was missing the jumpers and the FM light and the bass slider light is out. There's a local hi fi buyer and seller that's been bugging me to sell it to him or trade him for something and I told him he can buy it from my widow. ;)

I got sick of my lack of CD storage and organization so I build a rack out of some 1x4's and an old dresser. Some days I go out there just to work on my chipping and putting too.

Attached Files:

Treyfus84, Trojan4Life and Ds2000 like this.
  4. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Comfy place to enjoy some tunes!

Rome

5. luxmaster

luxmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like it alot

6. 55Redneck

Thanks for the kind words Rome and Luxmaster. It's just a dirty old shop but it works for me. Tomorrow I'll be out there all day spinning tunes with a few cold ones ect. ;)

7. Chubba

Chubba Active Member

I would ask If I may stop by with some beers but I am to far away.Cool/hot spot. Cheers

8. 55Redneck

If any AK'rs are ever in my area you're more than welcome to stop in for a few tunes and a cold one. Todays play list will include,The Tragically Hip/ Road Apples, Dire Straits/Live at the BBC, and Chris Squire/Fish Out of Water.

9. Chubba

Chubba Active Member

The Hip,Dire Straits,and a cold one.I'm on my way! Cheers!

Ds2000 likes this.
  10. 55Redneck

Well I've decided to make a small change. The Axiom AX 1.5's are going to be moved along and in place of them are these lovely little Wharfedale Linton3's. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever find a speaker I liked as much as my Luxmans, I have now. ;)

Attached Files:

Treyfus84 likes this.
  11. Trojan4Life

Trojan4Life AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's what it's all about!!