MR 2017 #1.JPG

record player: Garrard RC88/4 + Shure M7D
pre-amplifier: Heathkit WA-P2i (audiophile edition) + WPA2PS03b power supply
amplifier: Quality
speaker: JBL HLS-615

mono system playing a mono record:
MR 2017 #8.JPG

Last edited:
try a duplex speaker instead of the two ways for more of that vintage vibe.
I had Altec 604 loudspeakers, in the past and I can understand their appeal. Now, I prefer the sound of my more modern speaker. My goal is for the better sound rather than trying to recreate a vintage sound. Another factor is size. The Altec speakers would not fit in my smaller sized listening space.

My Mono system, thirty years ago, with duplex speakers:
604_2 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Not really a true mono system, but still sounds nice. One MC30, a tube preamp that utilizes 27 tubes, an old radio triode, an Elac 50HII that I'm using for my 78 collection, and one, all original, AR2 speaker.

Using a Shure 78 stylus with my M75 cart to listen to old mono lp’s like this and it sounds remarkably good. Don’t think I’ve ever done it before

33DF0355-1967-4371-B993-737B10E0B9AA.jpeg

So this may sound really stupid but what constitutes a “mono system”. I have an Elac Miracord 10 on which I often play mono 78 rpm records. But it all goes through a stereo amp and 2 speakers. But the music is mono. Is a “true” mono system a single speaker system? Can a Two speaker system, producing a mono signal be considered mono? I do love the sound of many of my mono 78’s and even a number of my mono recordings…but it is all played through 2 speakers.

So this may sound really stupid but what constitutes a “mono system”. I have an Elac Miracord 10 on which I often play mono 78 rpm records. But it all goes through a stereo amp and 2 speakers. But the music is mono. Is a “true” mono system a single speaker system? Can a Two speaker system, producing a mono signal be considered mono? I do love the sound of many of my mono 78’s and even a number of my mono recordings…but it is all played through 2 speakers.

Not stupid at all. A "true" mono system, at least what I consider a true mono system that somebody from the mid 50's might've had, would be a turntable wired for mono with a true mono cartridge, a mono amp, a mono preamp, and one speaker to listen through.

My system is not the above(and since posting the video, I moved the MC30 into the main system to use with my Klipsch Cornwall's and McIntosh C11 preamp and Fairchild 412 turntable). One mono amp, but a stereo preamp where I can sum to not only mono, but to either one channel or the other, 2 speakers, stereo cartridge. That said, mono lp's sound better then I have ever heard them, owning I'm sure to the Mac gear as much as anything. Obviously one can debate the advantages of listening with one speaker vs. 2, and I enjoyed listening to the previous system with just one AR2, but listening now with two big Klipsch's up's the ante quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom