My **mostly** Kenwood system.

Kiz84

Hi everyone.

I have been collecting vintage equipment for a little over a year now. Keeping my eye out for any little bargains that may pass me by.

Very early on in the piece, I made a choice to focus on vintage Kenwood equipment. Several reasons for this were;
I was in the right place at the right time on a few pieces.
The aesthetics of Kenwood equipment has always appealed to me. This of course should not be a sole reason for collecting said equipment, it does play a vital role.
Reader reviews of Kenwood always seem to rate their vintage gear as, well... Underrated and I would have to agree!
Also, though it is not necessarily all that valuable, I find it a little harder to come across, when compared to, say, Pioneer. This means that I am not maxing out my credit card every day on eBay must haves!

Anyway, I won't blab on too much, here are some shots of the collection so far;

Unfortunately, space is to blame for my poor speaker placement, the only other room large enough to have my listening system in is already taken up by my viewing system and no matter how hard I try, I cannot position the speakers in such a way as to not obstruct my projector screen!

Speakers inset are not Kenwood. To my dismay, vintage Kenwood speakers are rare as hen's teeth here downunder, so I am having trouble getting my hands on a nice pair. The speakers I do have are a lovely pair or Plessey 3-ways (sorry, no more specifics than that, though they were matched to the KA-3500 on purchase by the original owner)
IMG_0887.jpg

All Kenwood here; vinyl is spun on a KP-2022A turntable, vibration delivered through the standard (though interestingly straight) tone arm, fitted with an audio-technica AT93 cart. Amplification thanks to an all original KA-3500.
When bored with flipping records, radio is delivered via a KT-5300 am/fm tuner.
IMG_0888.jpg IMG_0889.jpg IMG_0895.jpg

I am currently running a SCPH-1002 play-station for compact disc playback, unfortunately Kenwood lack in the vintage console/CD player department.
IMG_0890.jpg

When my music appreciation gets too much for the rest of the household, I don my Kenwood KH-71 headphones, a recent acquisition from the US of A.
IMG_0891.jpg

Not shown; Speakers are elevated by a two part "World Book Dictionary" and voltage is stabilised and delivered to the entire system via a "Monster Power" HTS 800 power board.

I know that none of this is by any means high end equipment, but it is definitely an excellent value for money system and I am more than pleased every time I power it all up for a good session! Thanks for looking!

Nice! I have been thinking about getting a Kenwood Turntable to go with my KA3500 / KT 5300 combo. I was a Pioneer guy up until my SX650 died on me and the 3500 just kinda fell in my lap. Now I'm not so sure, I REALLY like these kennys.

Very sweet looking system. I don't doubt it sounds wonderful too!
I have a spare 13" tv so you can swap out the projector and move your stereo. :) (j/k)

Very nice!
And now I want a globe too. :)

Haha, as if vintage stereo equipment wasn't enough of a conversation piece already... I tend to rotate between several vintage pieces on top of my speakers, then include a bright red, dial style telephone, the super old hookah pipe you can see in the corner of one of the pictures. Oh and also a not so vintage super size plasma ball...

Nice! I have been thinking about getting a Kenwood Turntable to go with my KA3500 / KT 5300 combo. I was a Pioneer guy up until my SX650 died on me and the 3500 just kinda fell in my lap. Now I'm not so sure, I REALLY like these kennys.

I have several Pioneer systems, and as awesome looking and sounding as they are, the Kenwoods still win my heart... There are plenty of nice Kenny TT's from the era. DO IT!! ;)

Very sweet looking system. I don't doubt it sounds wonderful too!
I have a spare 13" tv so you can swap out the projector and move your stereo. :) (j/k)

Haha, yeah, don't worry, plenty of my mates have offered to swap out the projector on many a occasion. Though a 13" tv might be just what I need to tell what is going on on that PS1, when it chucks a hissy fit!

Very nice setup indeed! I've never heard--or even heard of--Plessey speakers, but they are certainly pleasing on the eyes.

Nice setup, it's been a while since I've seen a PS1 used as a CD player...I discovered some great CDs with that thing...

Back
Top Bottom