My Motorbike gave the movers a fit

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was here in New Mexico when the movers picked up our house hold goods in Michigan so I didn't have to deal with them on that end. Friday they showed up at our new house in Albuquerque and everything went smooth until that unloaded the motorbike. at 1400lbs dry and strapped to a motorcycle lift, it took them an hour of wrestling to get it off the truck and in the garage.

20170203_171604.jpg

20170203_172229.jpg

20170203_172306.jpg

20170203_172826.jpg

Wow, does it have a V8?

It is a Continental Y-112 inline four cylinder flat head out of a Hi-Lo

I want to see them unload your lathe!

Unfortunately, with this new job I was not going to have the time to do woodwork and metal art so I sold the lathe a month before I moved. It took us 4 hours to disassemble the lathe and load it onto the guys U-Haul.

That motor is slow turning low HP high Torque which is exactly what is needed for a hydro-static drive, If I remember right, at 3000 RPM it is 30 hp and 100 lbs torque. Hydraulic pumps don't like to turn faster than 3000.

Here the write up I did for the Industrial Motorbike.

This is the "Industrial Motor Bike" I built it it Ron Finch's shop over a year period. Here are a few descriptors.

.The leading link front end down tubes are from a 1962 HD FLH. I bent them and welded on the pivot points, then made up the links out of aluminum bar stock. The fender is HD as is the wheel. The triple trees are 1" plate cut to fit. The head light is from a mid 50s Mac truck and the spot lights are industrial work lights.

.The gas tank is from a Farmall "A" tractor with a tunnel cut in to fit over the back bone. The instrument panel is made from diamond plate and have an oil temp, oil pressure, hydraulic temp, and water temp gauge, as well as the key switch. The handle bars are 1 and 3/4 inch bent tubing and the raisers are big nuts bored out to fit the bars. All hand controls are HD after market. The gauge on the bars is the hydraulic pressure gauge.

.The rear fender is a trailer fender with diamond plate sides screwed on. The tail light is a front turn signal from a mid 40s school bus. The red Jerry cans have the tops cut and hinged and are saddle bags. The rack is from a 50s Cushman scooter. The stainless tanks are the Hydraulic reservoirs. The seat is from an old tractor.

.The engine is a Continental Y112 out of a fork truck driving a hydraulic pump which drives a hydraulic motor on the swing arm which drives a chain to the back wheel....which is a Mickey Thompson car rim with a split hub. The tire is a 230mm. the floor boards are the steps from an old slide and they are cast and read "AMERICAN". The frame is all 4130 chrome molly tubing and wieldable high pressure joint fittings.

Insane and awesome! I worked in a hydraulic shop for nine years. Its crazy how much torque you can get out of some motors with not much to drive them.

Yep, this bike has plenty of grunt. I need to do some increase the size of the pump and motor to get it running right.

Here the write up I did for the Industrial Motorbike.

This is the "Industrial Motor Bike" I built it it Ron Finch's shop over a year period. Here are a few descriptors.

.The leading link front end down tubes are from a 1962 HD FLH. I bent them and welded on the pivot points, then made up the links out of aluminum bar stock. The fender is HD as is the wheel. The triple trees are 1" plate cut to fit. The head light is from a mid 50s Mac truck and the spot lights are industrial work lights.

.The gas tank is from a Farmall "A" tractor with a tunnel cut in to fit over the back bone. The instrument panel is made from diamond plate and have an oil temp, oil pressure, hydraulic temp, and water temp gauge, as well as the key switch. The handle bars are 1 and 3/4 inch bent tubing and the raisers are big nuts bored out to fit the bars. All hand controls are HD after market. The gauge on the bars is the hydraulic pressure gauge.

.The rear fender is a trailer fender with diamond plate sides screwed on. The tail light is a front turn signal from a mid 40s school bus. The red Jerry cans have the tops cut and hinged and are saddle bags. The rack is from a 50s Cushman scooter. The stainless tanks are the Hydraulic reservoirs. The seat is from an old tractor.

.The engine is a Continental Y112 out of a fork truck driving a hydraulic pump which drives a hydraulic motor on the swing arm which drives a chain to the back wheel....which is a Mickey Thompson car rim with a split hub. The tire is a 230mm. the floor boards are the steps from an old slide and they are cast and read "AMERICAN". The frame is all 4130 chrome molly tubing and wieldable high pressure joint fittings.

The seat is more likely off a piece of horse drawn equipment than a tractor. Especially if its cast iron,
Most tractor seats were much larger and deeply scooped, typically sheet metal.
Hay rake or mower are prime suspects, but it could have been anything from a planter to a binder.
Equipment was much more plentiful than tractors.

That gas tank needs to be IH red.

The seat is stamped steel off a small farm/garden tractor a friend of mine gave me in 1979......37 years ago. The tractor had a 25hp motor that looked more like a Briggs and straton

Back
Top Bottom