My new L-07M Kenwoods

Old as the thorens next to it. I use it to get the first layer off. Got 300+ jazz albums from the early 60s. Not all are in good nick.

Kind of Blue can be seen if you look close.

I was building up some trigger cables and looked at the amp board.

the glue holding down the 470/63 caps was causing some corrosion. I cleaned it up and re-capped the board with UKL caps I had.

Look at D10 and R25
l07m-amp-before.jpg

all cleaned up
l07m-amp-after.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to look at the other amp and found more corrosion from the cap glue. I encourage anyone re-capping an amp from the 70s to look closely at the old glue. J7 on this board broke when I replaced it. J14 was updated too.
l07m-amp-before.jpg
l07m-amp-after.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it has been 7 months since I put in these mono blocks in the main system. I still like them. My dh-101 is probably holding them back but I like the sound. The 101 has been gone through with fresh bits and is one of my better pre amps (tube pres included) but always looking for a 07C or similar in my budget.

Each mono block rests on the Magneplanar base and a short (~1 meter) speaker wire. Having the 26 pound (13 kg) amp on the speaker stand really helps plant the speaker. The system is extremely quiet and if I'm not careful, it is easy to forget to turn them off for the night. the power light is perfectly blocked by the Maggie stand bracing. I have the remote triggers working through the preamp.

I've tweaked my C2 again over the weekend and might just try it if it was easier to add to the system.

I really should swap in my KT600 Lafayette pre again but the pre is a bit taller than the 101 (and C2) and space is a premium.

It is so nice to put on some Chet Baker and relax to a great system. I wouldn't have even thought of getting these amps without the great people here gushing about them. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Well, it has been 7 months since I put in these mono blocks in the main system. I still like them. My dh-101 is probably holding them back but I like the sound. The 101 has been gone through with fresh bits and is one of my better pre amps (tube pres included) but always looking for a 07C or similar in my budget.

Each mono block rests on the Magneplanar base and a short (~1 meter) speaker wire. Having the 26 pound (13 kg) amp on the speaker stand really helps plant the speaker. The system is extremely quiet and if I'm not careful, it is easy to forget to turn them off for the night. the power light is perfectly blocked by the Maggie stand bracing. I have the remote triggers working through the preamp.

I've tweaked my C2 again over the weekend and might just try it if it was easier to add to the system.

I really should swap in my KT600 Lafayette pre again but the pre is a bit taller than the 101 (and C2) and space is a premium.

It is so nice to put on some Chet Baker and relax to a great system. I wouldn't have even thought of getting these amps without the great people here gushing about them. Thanks everyone!

WARNING: L-07s can be addictive. Worked for Pacific Stereo in the '70s and sold these when they were new. They were sort of the "inside baseball"/poor salesman's secret at that time. We had US-made Harman Kardon, SAE, Phase Linear, and Soundcraftsmen separates prominently displayed in our "high end" demo room, but the Kenwoods always seemed to fade into the woodwork due to their form factor and being "made in Japan". Couldn't afford them then. Bought my first pair finally around 2000. Picked up another pair around 2010 just to be sure I always had backups. Picked up another one at a price I couldn't pass up on Audiogon earlier this year. Think I'm good for now - lol. FWIW, I never turn mine off and they live on a hardwood floor. I was fortunate earlier this year to find a gentleman in my area who was able to go through a couple of them and replace/tweak as needed. Just hoping they outlast me.L07.jpg

@curtpenn, they do look like lab equipment sitting on the floor. at least they are in front of the les paul ;)

thanks for the history and great to know you have someone to keep them functioning. they are 40 years old.

Back
Top Bottom