My poor old Nak 681ZX is on it's way to PerryinVA for repair.

I love NAKS and Perryinva has helped so many on this forum. If you sell high end Naks you've gone over Perry, please PM me.

I am completely new to this forum, but came across this thread looking for help with my deck. I just bought a Nakamichi CR2A deck, seems to work fine except the right channel audio is very low, almost non-existent. I am going to continue to search through these forums, but if Perry is still watching, could I indulge a bit of help? Thanks!

Perry...do you have a contact email? I just acquired a CR-7A that seems to be in beautiful condition, but it just won't play a cassette. The FF and RW motors work, and the head assembly comes up, but when Play is pressed, it tries to play for about 1-2 seconds and then just stops.

It has been sitting idle for about 20 or so years, and I do believe the deck has never been opened up for any kind of service before.

I would like to send it to you if you are willing to take a crack at it.

Thanks in advance,

Pepe

...I unfortunately had to learn this the very hard way, when I was working on a deck that didn't seem to play any sounds, though all seemed OK. It turns out the erase head was in full erase mode when ever the deck was running, whether the record protect tabs were in or not :-(.....so I was rewarded with nice, 30 second to 2 minute gaps of silence in 3 different calibration tapes, two of them very expensive Nakamichi tapes..

I was curious as to what could cause a situation like this, where the deck records in every mode? A faulty switch or switch actuator?

I was curious as to what could cause a situation like this, where the deck records in every mode? A faulty switch or switch actuator?
It was the switching transistor, that switches in the erase head bias signal, during record. Not a smart design when a failure of a single transistor causes something damaging to default to ON. I always always check that eraee head is not active, clean and demag the heads and tape path before any tape goes in.

I love NAKS and Perryinva has helped so many on this forum. If you sell high end Naks you've gone over Perry, please PM me.

May want to go to the Tapeheads forum. Bought my NAK 303 there from him. Totally impressed with the deck and love it

I'm now the proud owner of Kenwood 61's LX-3. Still playing and recording excellently.

Following the advice of the OP and others, I bit the bullet. My RX-505 shipped out to Perry today. Man, have I become attached to this machine! So much so, I wonder what a Dragon, CR-7a, or ZX would be like to own.

I'll be sure to report back once it's back in the system.

Back
Top Bottom