My Rescued La Scala Rehab Thread

SiliconTi

More info here for the back story:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...-do-i-put-in-them.752078/page-2#post-10213667

Basically, a guy that used to rent audio systems to clubs, bars etc.. is clearing out his old cabinet inventory. Poorly listed on CL, I just tripped over the ad accidentally. Said they were empty cabs covered in carpet, so I though they were Pros. They are not - raw birch with the mid horn and driver still installed and some Motorola tweeters installed. No woofers. AA crossovers still there. Total cost: $0. Yup, they were free, only about a 45 minute drive away. I could not get out of his driveway fast enough. The plan is to use:

Crites crossover rebuild kits for the AA crossover

Crites CT125 Tweeters

Eminence Kappa 15C Woofer. Made in USA, a recommended replacement for the La Scala and Belle, reasonably priced.

Now, on the cabs, I'm not sure yet. Maybe a re-veneer with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood with Birch or Rosewood veneer. I may also just use auto body filler to smooth them off and paint them adding the "triangle" reinforcements in the doghouse. I have seen black and white ones, but I was thinking a nice dark red in a matte finish. Maybe a vinyl finish. Dunno yet...

Found one badge jammed in a horn, not seen one like that, I assume it is worn.

I pulled them apart, so here are some "before" pictures:

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Last edited:
That's one heckuva "save", especially loaded with so many original components. Another approach to consider once the missing drivers are installed is to essentially leave them in their current cosmetic state and use them as party speakers. You might even screw on some metal handles on the exterior to help move them around. I would love to have a pair of LaScalas to play in my back yard, take to my cousin's lake house, etc. without worrying about scrapes and bruises. Whatever you decide thanks for sharing this excellent find.

Wow you've got a great cabinet to redo! I suggest filling all holes with bondo/minwax 2 part wood filler. If you add 3/4" ply on the sides you won't need the triangle braces between the doghouse roof and inner sides. The area most affected by the bass resonance is the front of the sides because they aren't thick enough. In the LS II Klipsch used 1" mdf on the sides and back (not on the doghouse???) Food for thought. The guy has a Motorola piezo tweeter in these!!!

Good selection on Crites stuff. I'm 45 minutes from him and stop in a lot. The tweeters make a huge difference. Here's a LS I built from scratch and delivered to a customer yesterday using 1" baltic birch plywood with cherry veneered applied. Good luck with your redo.

Attachments

• IMG_6890.JPG
    IMG_6890.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 85
Longdriv03,

Good eye on the tweeter, they are Motos. I tossed them.

I have considered using the extra layer of 3/4" to stiffen them up, but they already weigh a ton. Still in the pondering stage.

Last edited:
Another approach to consider once the missing drivers are installed is to essentially leave them in their current cosmetic state

I do not want them as "party" speakers, however, I did come across a thread on the Klipsch forums of someone that did just that - cleaned them up but left the damaged areas in tact to help tell their history. I am actually thinking about this, including leaving the graffiti on them to give them a story to tell. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of showing off their sordid past instead of hiding it. Makes them even more interesting, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks to longdrive33, I found new K33s for only $80 more per pair. I may be doing that instead of the 15Cs.

For anyone following this thread, serial #s are:

16S624

16S625

So, that makes them the 16th week of 1978, If I decoded that correctly. Nice that they are sequential.

Leaving them cosmetically in their current state is similar to what is the current rage in vintage autos. Find a solid body, rebuild all running gear to like new (even improved as in disc brakes, etc.) give it a wash job and then wear that patina proudly. Yours do have stories to tell. Mine came from a church. Not a scratch on them, but little drama as well.

Leaving them cosmetically in their current state is similar to what is the current rage in vintage autos.

*Exactly* what I was thinking.

I hit a few spots with an SOS pad and water last night - cleaned up very well. A good washing, a little sanding and some Howard's and it they should look pretty good. This is now the plan.

Silicon, I like your plan. You can honestly say no one in the world has a pair of LS that look like yours!!

You could even have people sign them tht come to your hous!!! Sort of a "speaker wall of honor"!!

When you close your eyes they will still sound the same even if you rehab cabinet?

Amen brother me too!! However, the speaker building addiction overcomes my laziness from time to time. Okay, well all the time!

Parts ordering has begun! Genuine Klipsch K-33-E woofers direct from Klipsch are on the way - and only $130 each. That is a dang good deal!

Crites x-over kits and CT125 tweeters are on the way!

Very excited.

Last edited:
Bozaks have a lot of promise. Saw your thread on them. I love the feeling of rehabbing something old and making it work.

Back
Top Bottom