My Sansui 881 Receiver

I hate to say but l am sure that the wiring on those new caps is incorrect, please don't turn unit on. Refer to your photo of the old main caps, the - of one cap and the + of the other cap are common, then the red wire goes to the positive of one cap and the white wire goes to the negative of the other cap.
Good catch. Before power up.That would have made a mess.

I haven't worked on an 881 but l had a similar issue on a 551. After removing faceplate l had to remove the perspex dial that is glued on, wasn't hard or time consuming :thumbsup:.

I haven't worked on an 881 but l had a similar issue on a 551. After removing faceplate l had to remove the perspex dial that is glued on, wasn't hard or time consuming :thumbsup:.

Thank you.
After beginning to take the radio scale face off I decided it couldn't be that hard.
The back of the meters is held in with scotch tape, some careful cutting gets them off.
Learning...

Pressing on. Bulbs all replaced with LEDs, I ordered 3mm for the meters but the extra 4mm I had would probably have worked just fine as the stock sockets were rotten and useless.

The broken glass was an adventure (one of my favorite sayings is: "adventures sometimes suck when you're having them")
-I had a piece of 1/8" glass cut to size and tried to paint the edges with three different types of paint. Three different fails and scratched glass from masking tape trimming.
-Next I had a piece of acrylic cut to size (almost free) in 1/8" and 3/16". The 3/16" is a bit too fat but it doesn't need shims to keep it from rattling. In lieu of painting the plastic I masked off the faceplate and painted the internal shiny bits that the glass paint hid black.
Currently listening to Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" and pondering a recap.
It's a sweetheart of an amp. I swapped out my Kenwood KR-7600. The Kenny is all muscles and power, the 881 is more deft and textured. At first I missed the bass but by the end of the CD I liked the detail.

Back
Top Bottom