My solution for easy AU-717 Sansui glue removal

Kico

Here's lookin' at you kid
Easiest I've ever done...a couple of your wife's cotton balls and acetone. Picture tells the story. Each spread out and (tucked in good around components) cotton ball was saturated with 1-2 cap fulls of acetone, wait 15-20 minutes.

Glue just falls off board. :banana:

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Hi...I'm a nube...will be doing the same soon...Does the acetone damage any type of component(s)?

Not in my experience, nor does it seem to have any detrimental effect on the board screening.

This is the third 717 I have used this procedure on with no problems. Since Acetone evaporates fairly quickly, the cotton balls keep that from happening giving the glue time to really soften up. Then using a chopstick or similar (sharpened to a beveled edge), minor scraping will take off 99% of the of the glue with ease. Any glue residue that's left can easily be removed with an old toothbrush dipped in the acetone.

Have fun!

That sounds like a good solution. I would, however, keep it away from e-capacitor seals and polystyrene capacitors. If you ever look at a polystyrene cap and see crazing of the surface, drift and trouble are in its future. Most manufacturers specify solvent exposure times for electrolytics and those times are quite short, if it's permitted at all.

That sounds like a good solution. I would, however, keep it away from e-capacitor seals and polystyrene capacitors. If you ever look at a polystyrene cap and see crazing of the surface, drift and trouble are in its future. Most manufacturers specify solvent exposure times for electrolytics and those times are quite short, if it's permitted at all.

Conrad,

Excellent advice--acetone would certainly be bad if not catastrophic for polystyrene caps and I suppose it could wick itself into e-caps seals too if you're only replacing a bad cap or two in the area.

Fortunately for the 717's, doing a complete cap job on the power supply board involves no styrene caps and with all the old e-caps removed, nothing remains in the the general area except resistors and a couple diodes...don't think it should bother them. Most of them too need to be replaced anyway due to the glue corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom