My sound set-up

OleM

My little hi-fi :)

It started about 10 years ago when i got some old tandberg speakers and a integrated little amp & cd player. In the age of 18, i used all my money in a local hifi shop and bought a pair of B&W 704 and a used Densen Beat 100 (2*60w) i also bought my first turntable, a denon dp 300f :) After a half year or so, i sold my B&W speakers ( they didnt sound good in my room) and went for a better shelf speaker. After a roadtrip around i ended up on Dali Helicon 300mk2 wich i would say is the greatest speaker ive ever had! I did not like the sound of the densen / dali combination and sold my densen amp to my father in law. At this time i also sold my tv, a ps3 and some other stuff, and did come over a trade for some quite good Morel shelf speakers! :)

After a week or so i traded my morel speakers for two mono power amps, Heart Bead 300b (2*8w) i went to my local shop and bought a demo used NAD M15 (home cinema pre-amp) since i got a damn good price!

Bought a Denon DP-A100 (anniverary turntable). Damn i really loved that system.

In the age of 22 (earlier this year) i moved out, and had to get rid of my sound system, to pay bills ect ect.

I had a little budget to get me a new one, so i started carefully thinking of what i should buy. On the road home from work the day after i did see a garage sale nearby, went by and bought the Klipsch Tangent 4000 for 40$, abit later i had a friend who is also moving out and needed money so i bought his Acurus DIA 100 (2*100W) and what a combination! both speaker and the amp is from early-mid 90`s

I made my DIY subwoofers out of two seas 10" i bought at the same garage sale (20$ for both)

At this time i had my Denon DP-A100 still, sold it and bought the technics slma1 (wich imo is better soundwise) The Technics SL-D21, Technics P34 cartridge and two NOS stylus (and some other stuff to my apartement). i also got a good deal on a Ortofon x5mc since it was used in the shop for 5 hours! And got my hand of a nice set of technics pre & power earlier this autumn

For all of you who dont want to read all above this is my main stereo:

Pre-Amp: Technics SU-C800U
Power-Amp: Technics SU-A800
Speakers: Klipsch Tangent 4000
Turntable: Technics SLMA1 w/ Technics P33 pu (Ortofon X5mc)
Cable`s: Kimber all the way!

My 2nd system is in use on my bedroom.

a older samsung tv,
apple tv (jailbroken & streaming 720p movies and series)
Argon HA2 headphone amp
Sennheiser reference gold 540
Vestax dpx2000 dj turntable with Ortofon concorde nightclub (mk1) & nightclub mk1 stylus

Last edited:
you seem to have some really nice and extremely interesting stuff:thmbsp:

I hope you will post some pic's and maybe a review......Thanx much in advance, Chuck

Hello :)

thanks for reply, i got my day off from work tomorrow and will put up some pics and review. right now a friend of mine borrow my technics slma1, wich is my best turntable. hopefully i can pick it up tomorrow! it aint the same using one of the other turntable in my main set`up, since the sound in the slma1 is incredible!

I did actually sell my Denon DP-A100 anniversery turntable to buy the slma1 only a few weeks back! Worth any penny! the only hassle is the t4p pu, and its kinda hard to get a really good one (IMO)

Did get my hand on a NOS technincs ( cant remember the name, since its mounted on the slma1 right now) and a NOS stylus, I do also have a Ortofon X5mc (highoutput mc) wich also sounds great. but i like the more clean hifi correct sound of the technics cartridge ( in this set-up )

Would love to get some tips for new pu / stylus to my set up, so if u got one please share it with me!

Here are some pic`s of my "man cave" :D

Sorry for the bad quality, only used my phone to take the picture`s

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• stereo14.jpg
    stereo14.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 904
  • stereo15.jpg
    stereo15.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 906
  • stereo16.jpg
    stereo16.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 926
  • stereo17.jpg
    stereo17.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 934
  • stereo18.jpg
    stereo18.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 906
  • stereo19.jpg
    stereo19.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
I wonder if those are stock feet on your TT? Very nice, comfortable looking listening space:thmbsp:

Good Morning! (atleast morning here in norway:D)

@ Ak 47 - Thats correct its not stock feet, just a minor tweek from my side :) thanks :D

@ VintagePlus - thanks :) i do start to like it myself.. i know it sound odd but i was so damn sceptical the carpet and the cuartain`s even that i bought it my self ( earlier i just had black`n white like my couch`s. soundwise i really like it!

after a long day of work its nice to come home, and chill out with some good music on the bed :)

i really enjoy the sound of my sennheiser HD540 reference gold & at my break i went into a shop and found a t4p to 1/2 adapter so now i will compare my ortofon cc nightclub (dj pickup) against Panasonic / Technics P33 & Ortofon x5-mc :D for this test, i gonna use my vestax dj turntable! even if it looks alittle plastic-ish & boring, it sounds really good! actually i will say it plays better than my old Rega p-3 :) the music i gonna use for my "little test" is:

Mumford & Sons - babel
Sonata Arctica . Unia
Volbeat - Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood
Melody Gardot . my one and only thrill

Last edited:
i did only use the two ortofon cartridge`s in this test

Ofcourse it will be huge diferences in the way they sound!

Ortofon concorde nightclub (mk1) - $200

The sound have a nice live-music feeling, good depth and bright and clear sound. it actually sound good at the more calm music aswell as the rock / metal, and i really like the way that the studio albums sound more like live albums! i really enjoy live music more than studio albums, so thats a big plus!

Since ive started using the concorde the differences was qutive big when i swapped cartridge!

Ortofon X5-MC - $550

I totally lost the live impression ive had with cc nightclub, and i was quite shocked. they sounded so different. The sound picture was way more calmer and not so loud as the cc nightclub. its WAY more hi-fi sounding, the bass is just as good as the cc, but it sound ten times better! way much better nuance in both bass & midrange compared to the cc. in the higher frequency (dome/ tweeter) it was not that loud but clearer than the cc.

Conclution:

when playing music with guitar`s and piano, the x5 sounded insanly detailed! bright and nice sound, and you can hear where the different instruments are. the cc nightclub have nice details aswell but you cant pick the different instrument in the music on the same way, but on the other hand it have this really nice "live-feeling" that i really like! the differences is huge, and i think almost everyone would agree with me that the x5 do sound way much better than the cc nightclub. But at the same time i think its more funny to listen to my music with the cc nightclub, atleast if i have visiters. i think its easier to like the loud live-ish sound from the cc nightclub!

But when im sitting alone just relax and listen to calm music i know i will use the x5-mc ten out of ten times! :)

Would be fun to try a $200-ish grado or denon pu against the cc nightclub, i think i try that later this year!

A long time since i was online here.. so here is a huge update!

So many changes in so little time! :D

I gave my klipsch speaker to a friend in need for some Hi-Fi. He had some trouble, after he lost his job, and really wanted to buy a stereo! So why not i thought and gave them to him :) He also borrowed my Acurus DIA-100 :) (oh so i miss this amp!!)

Bought a par of Dali Mentor 6, and sold these after 1 month (id really loved the sound, but i had big problems with my living room, they just didnt work together!) they sounded really good with the Technics pre/ power amp!

In some urgent need of some new speakers i took a internet raid and bought a completely new set-up without listening to it!

Hopefully i get this setup late this week, and hopefully i dont have to sell it at once i hook it up! :)

New set-up:

Speakers: Audio Physic Yara Superior 2 in High gloss white
Amplifier: Jungson D-200IA
Cd-player: Jungson Moon Harbor
Turntable: Technics SLMA1 ( still! cant change this one, would be madness!)
D/A Converter: Nad M51 (have to wait 3 weeks for this one, my hifi pusher is out of stock)
Riaa: Cambridge 651P
Cables: (Still Kimber all the way!)but can list them up!
- Kimber Silver Streak 1meter xlr
- Kimber Hero 0.6meter rca
- Kimber Tonik 1meter & 0.6meter
- Kimber 8vs speaker cable

Even got me a new Hi-Fi Rack!

I thought my old Soundstyle WG3, had done the job, and its not wery nice looking with scratches in the wood at the front ect, so i bought a new Soundstyle ST310 rack in Onyx (black) with the GT310 package with frosted glasses. it looks really good in my eyes!

Picture will follow when i got evrything hooked up and playing! hopefully this friday or saturday! :)

Best Regards

/Ole

I really hope its not a miss match between my AP speakers and the jungson amplifier. in worst case i have the swap i try my Technics pre/power amp instead.

Well got home from work 1h ago, just picked up the speakers and the amp on the way home!

I got my new rack 2 days ago, and i think it looks nice!

Now i have to find good positions for the speakers! just tryed them alittle and cant get the good sound yet. hopefully im getting closer. dont think the jungson amp is a missmatch either, but the bass, just doesnt sound so good. very thin sound. just have to work with it.. :) here is a picture:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-07-04 18.23.55bv1.jpg
    2013-07-04 18.23.55bv1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 2013-07-04 08.14.10bv.jpg
    2013-07-04 08.14.10bv.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 379
After some days with my new sound system im still not comfortable with the sound.

I have used seriously many hours to position the speakers for the best sound, without getting it like i want. I`ve tried to put my two 10inch passive subwoofers on the system, it did help, but it`s not good enough yet. gonna try the speakers in another place in the living room, before i sell them again.

I have also sold my 2nd technics turntable with a little profit! woho!:D

I gonna place the technics slma1 on my head-fi system, and im looking for a new turntable to my main system! Well.. its actually a no-brainer, have a deal on a Michell Gyro (almost upgraded to Gyrodec) with a fidelity research tonearm and silver wires combined with an london decca pickup. so i just have to wait for the owner to get back from vacation! :banana:

Im also looking for a riaa for this michell. anyone got a hot tip for me ? :)

Best Regards
OleM

Got my Jungson cd-player today, just picked it up on the way home from work, think i gonna listen to some music to night!

The two passive 10 inch subwoofers i made, when i had the Dali Helicon 300mk2, i have putted them on the new setup and wow, that helped alot! now im almost happy! :banana:

Gonna buy a xlr-cabel and swap out my rca cable, dont know if it will be any better but i have the chance so why not :)

- OleM

So much have changed lately that i dont really know where to start..

sold everything exept the Jungson amp / cd player

then i bought two tube pre amp`s a conrad-johnson and a opera consonance

found some extremely good DIY speakers ive listened to for about 2-3 years ago. I bought the speakers for only 680$ (the cost price for the speakers is over 7000$)

I also did go to a hifi shop nearby and bought 3 pairs of rca cables with silver and rhodium plugs. really nice,cheap and good cables, around 120$, a Bluesound node wich is a new streaming system ive never had heard of. ( just for easy listening and background music from tunein / wimp.

Did get a Nad pp2 riaa from their demo sale " on the buy " :)

New sound set-up

Speaker: DIY speakers
Pre : Conrad Johnson (highly modded) VP10
Power: Jungson DA200-IA
CD-Player: Jungson CD-3
Streaming: Bluesound Node
Turntable: ?
Riaa: Nad PP2i
MC Step-up: Holfi pre MC1

just need a good turntable, and i can calm down alittle :D

Almost 5 years since last update.. had tons of equipments this past 5 years.

recently sold all my equipments and im starting all over again. I will get some exciting products next week.. if everything follows the plan i get the first products on monday, and the second batch of products on wedensday - stay tuned for updates! Ok, alittle hint: turntable and a couple of amplifiers :)

Back
Top Bottom