My SR60s -- So Far...

sjfloat

Well, I bought pair of used SR60s, I assume they're pre-"e" (is there some distinguishing mark?).

After a few days, I must say that really like them -- for about two or three songs and I have to get them off. It's not a comfort thing, I just find them *really* fatiguing. They actually seem to aggravate my tinnitus. These have the original, unmolested comfies. So, I guess doing the quarter mod will take me even further in that direction, right?

A frame of reference for me are my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros, which I can tolerate indefinitely.

Is there a simple mod I should try to tame these?

Thanks

Uncomfortable cushions on lower priced Grado's is a standard complaint. I replaced the cushions on my SR-60's with first the Grado L's and more recently with the Ear Zonk Leatherettes. I cut out the fabric in the center of the Ear Zonk's as it reduced the highs. Replacing the cushions IMO improved the sound as well as making them wearable for longer periods.

If you find them generally fatiguing even with cushion replacement perhaps Grado's are not for you.

Uncomfortable cushions on lower priced Grado's is a standard complaint. I replaced the cushions on my SR-60's with first the Grado L's and more recently with the Ear Zonk Leatherettes. I cut out the fabric in the center of the Ear Zonk's as it reduced the highs. Replacing the cushions IMO improved the sound as well as making them wearable for longer periods.

If you find them generally fatiguing even with cushion replacement perhaps Grado's are not for you.

I've got L pads and Sennheiser HD414s ordered. But again, I'm not particularly bothered by the physical comfort. I'm wondering if there's a mod to smooth out the highs.

My main and only problem with the Grado's has always been comfort related. Perhaps the "Zonks" with the fabric center not removed might be a little easier on your tinnitus. I to suffer from tinnitus although it's not constant. None of the "higher end" head phones I currently own (HiFi Man HE-350, Grado SR-60, Monolith M560) cause or exacerbate my tinnitus. However, this is a totally personal thing and your results most likely will not mirror mine. For example, today I've heard little to no "ringing". Some days it frequently appears. On other days it's totally absent.

My main and only problem with the Grado's has always been comfort related. Perhaps the "Zonks" with the fabric center not removed might be a little easier on your tinnitus. I to suffer from tinnitus although it's not constant. None of the "higher end" head phones I currently own (HiFi Man HE-350, Grado SR-60, Monolith M560) cause or exacerbate my tinnitus. However, this is a totally personal thing and your results most likely will not mirror mine. For example, today I've heard little to no "ringing". Some days it frequently appears. On other days it's totally absent.

Thanks. Maybe I'll look into the Zonks.

I'm seriously considering trying to identify and notch out the offensive range. Because I honestly like everything else about these phones.

Do any other phones produce the same sort of response?

I don't have any high-end phones. The other pair that I use are Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. I find them to be very complimentary to the Grados and they are definitely not shrill.

I've tried the SR-60's with a Bravo V2, an SMSL SA-50 and a Little Dot MK II. Although all produce (IMO) good sound the all tube Little Dot sounds the best to me. However, it produces better sound on all my headphones

I bought the L pads too after a few months with the originals. Makes a little difference. Looking forward to your update on the cushions. Initially I played these through iPhones, iPods and Android devices. I do agree a little bright at first. I've had a Chord Mojo dac/amp that really make these and my other headphones stand out. Over the ear experience is certainly different than the Grados. I was listening to some Eagles last night and the Mojo/Grado combo really brought out the harmonies and separation of their individual voices.

I think they sound great, aside from this particular issue. As I've intimated in another thread, though, I think the defect is probably in my own ears and that I'm just hypersensitive to what is probably ordinarily a harmless bump..

I bought the L pads too after a few months with the originals. Makes a little difference. Looking forward to your update on the cushions. Initially I played these through iPhones, iPods and Android devices. I do agree a little bright at first. I've had a Chord Mojo dac/amp that really make these and my other headphones stand out. Over the ear experience is certainly different than the Grados. I was listening to some Eagles last night and the Mojo/Grado combo really brought out the harmonies and separation of their individual voices.

I tried the yellow Sennheiser pads. While they are certainly more comfortable to wear, they are no less painful to listen to. I don't hope much from the L-pads; I expect they'll make matters worse, if anything. I think a filter is my only chance with these.And I agree, they're otherwise really nice with that kind of music.

The fabric in the center of the Ear Zonk leather cushions acts as a mild high filter.

I haven't tried the Zonks yet. But I have toyed with adding materials under the pads. It makes a difference. But it seems to me that an electronic filter might be easier to dial in than a mechanical one.

Back
Top Bottom