My system - old meets new!!

I love that series of Sansui integrated amps. I too have a squeezebox system. It has really made listening convenient. No more filing CDs.

Absolutely. I'm very impressed with the performance of the Squeezebox. Uber-convenient, and a very decent DAC too!

yes,Kingwa makes great stuff at an excellent price. If you need to upgrade, you might as well stick with the brand. The reference 7.1!

RE7.11.JPG

Yes indeed! My friend has one of these and it sounds sublime.

He has written a review on it here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.a...m/202-audio-gd-reference-71-dac-8-x-pcm1704uk

That AU-517 looks brand spanking new!

The Usher S-520's are great bang for the buck speakers and those Sound Dynamics I remember were crazy good for the price!

The system looks clean and sleek. Congrats!

Absolutely. I'm very impressed with the performance of the Squeezebox. Uber-convenient, and a very decent DAC too!

Yes indeed! My friend has one of these and it sounds sublime.

He has written a review on it here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.a...m/202-audio-gd-reference-71-dac-8-x-pcm1704uk
I read five paragraphs into the article and was unable to divine what a DAC does or, more precisely, why the average person would want one, so I gave up.

I actually went to google to get the skinny and found some nice high level information from Wikipedia. Then I realized why I didn't care about the article all that much. Maybe I will some day.

Last edited:
I read five paragraphs into the article and was unable to divine what a DAC does or, more precisely, why the average person would want one, so I gave up.

I actually went to google to get the skinny and found some nice high level information from Wikipedia. Then I realized why I didn't care about the article all that much. Maybe I will some day.

Thanks for your feedback!

Given that his site is focussed on digital audio, I guess that it's assumed that the reader will have an understanding of the fundamentals. It wouldn't be practical for him to include this kind of info in every DAC review that be undertakes, particularly when wikipedia and google can provide plenty of info on this.

I think you'd be surprised how good digital audio can sound nowadays! Redbook-standard diigital can sound brilliant through the right gear, and high resolution files are simply stunning. Suffice to say, I won't be needing a turntable in my main rig.

Nice photography to match nice systems. Very stylish and efficient looking, I imagine it sounds at least as good as it looks.

Thanks for your feedback!

Given that his site is focussed on digital audio, I guess that it's assumed that the reader will have an understanding of the fundamentals. It wouldn't be practical for him to include this kind of info in every DAC review that be undertakes, particularly when wikipedia and google can provide plenty of info on this.

I think you'd be surprised how good digital audio can sound nowadays! Redbook-standard diigital can sound brilliant through the right gear, and high resolution files are simply stunning. Suffice to say, I won't be needing a turntable in my main rig.
I lost context. I think of a DAC as the chip on a sound card, etc. To see a completely dedicated unit was, well, weird. I thought the acronym must have stood for something else. :)

Learn something every day.:thmbsp:

I assume they were joking about the $2000 price though.

Bear in mind that the Ref 7.1 is their top of the range DAC. Given the build quality, design and sound quality, it's a cracking price when compared to competing DACs out there.

External DACs are the digital equivalent of cartridges on turntable. It has an important role in the sound of a system. Some people will spend a couple of hundred on a nice cartridge, whilst others will spend thousands. Same goes for DACs. In my case, I consider the NFB-3 @ $300 to be quite a bargain. Same goes for the NFB-3 @$450.

The actual DAC chip is a tiny part of the equation. The implementation of the chip, the surrounding circuit design, and the quality and robustness of the power supply all dictate the 'voice' of a DAC. Some DACs that use the same chip can sound massively different.

Bear in mind that the Ref 7.1 is their top of the range DAC. Given the build quality, design and sound quality, it's a cracking price when compared to competing DACs out there.

External DACs are the digital equivalent of cartridges on turntable. It has an important role in the sound of a system. Some people will spend a couple of hundred on a nice cartridge, whilst others will spend thousands. Same goes for DACs. In my case, I consider the NFB-3 @ $300 to be quite a bargain. Same goes for the NFB-3 @$450.

The actual DAC chip is a tiny part of the equation. The implementation of the chip, the surrounding circuit design, and the quality and robustness of the power supply all dictate the 'voice' of a DAC. Some DACs that use the same chip can sound massively different.

I understand. But in my case, I drive a Scion xB and if this thing ever wears out and I'm looking for something new, I'm not going to pursue a website that extols the advantages of a particular Lamborghini over a Bugatti or Ferrari. It's pretty much literally how I see this stuff. It is as if, on this site, we have the exotic car owners and buffs discussing, within the same threads, the advantages of motor oils, tires, car stereos, etc., when in fact the needs, wants and budgets are so out of synch as to be almost comical.

And then there is the concept of diminishing returns.

But to be fair, I'm 57, have played in various rock, country, pop and big bands so my hearing ain't what it used to be. I have seriously shifted from enjoying the best possible sound from my equipment to enjoying the music - and the nostalgia of playing a tape or record. I still like to window shop at Definitive Audio from time to time though as much as I like to put a few miles on my brother in law's Countach. Meanwhile I love my vintage stereo stuff and throwing my Scion xBox around on the twisties. ;)

I understand. But in my case, I drive a Scion xB and if this thing ever wears out and I'm looking for something new, I'm not going to pursue a website that extols the advantages of a particular Lamborghini over a Bugatti or Ferrari. It's pretty much literally how I see this stuff. It is as if, on this site, we have the exotic car owners and buffs discussing, within the same threads, the advantages of motor oils, tires, car stereos, etc., when in fact the needs, wants and budgets are so out of synch as to be almost comical.

And then there is the concept of diminishing returns.

But to be fair, I'm 57, have played in various rock, country, pop and big bands so my hearing ain't what it used to be. I have seriously shifted from enjoying the best possible sound from my equipment to enjoying the music - and the nostalgia of playing a tape or record. I still like to window shop at Definitive Audio from time to time though as much as I like to put a few miles on my brother in law's Countach. Meanwhile I love my vintage stereo stuff and throwing my Scion xBox around on the twisties. ;)

Fair enough. It's alll relative I guess. There are quite a few people on here with systems that include new gear (and some very expensive gear mind you!) so I don't think this kind of discussion is necessarily out-of-place.

The Ref 7.1 is certainly out of my budget due to a growing family, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating it for the masterpiece that it is. Is it better than my $300 NFB-3? Most certainly. Is is $1700 better? Maybe, or maybe not. Agree 100% with the law of diminishing returns.

Also, bear in mind that the Ref 7.1 is probably one of the most expensive DACs reviewed on the digitalaudioreview website, and in terms of price, there are MUCH more expensive DACs out there. The vast majority of DACs reviewed there are in the $400-800 price bracket, and therefore fairly affordable to those looking at getting into quality digital audio. It's not as though the site is full of high-priced exotica - this is largely entry-level stuff.

Reviewing two or three of the best sub-$2k DACs as a benchmark for the cheaper DACs makes complete sense in my eyes - it means the goalposts have been set and it gives something to compare the cheaper DACs against to gauge whether they are run-of-the-mill, or genuine contenders.

Anyway, the only reason why the Ref 7.1 is being discussed is because someone mentioned it as audio-gd's top DAC, and a possible upgrade path in future. It's not really relevant to my system, so I'd rather not discuss the merits of the perceived value of expensive gear in this thread ;) .

For the time being, my NFB-3 is doing a magnificent job, and I think I will be happy with it for many years to come (unless I decide to build my own DAC from a kit at some stage in future).

Last edited:
For the time being, my NFB-3 is doing a magnificent job, and I think I will be happy with it for many years to come (unless I decide to build my own DAC from a kit at some stage in future).

Sorry for starting this! I'm just really impressed with his products (not just DACs). If I were to spend $7K on a system, I think this is where I would go...

Clean and "elegant". Looks nice. now only if I could get my system to be as neat :)

Sorry for starting this! I'm just really impressed with his products (not just DACs). If I were to spend $7K on a system, I think this is where I would go...

Nothing to be sorry about!

Your suggestion is a very valid one, as I've heard the 7.1 and think it is a very nice unit indeed.

I've got no problem with discussing the merits of my gear or the Ref 7.1, but I could see this thread going down the well-worn path of 'why would you spend that much money on that piece of gear' and I want to avoid that - particularly as I don't even own the gear in question.

Clean and "elegant". Looks nice. now only if I could get my system to be as neat :)

Thanks!

I had a bit of a listen last night with my wife whilst comparing a few DACs.

I think she can finally appreciate how good this system sounds. I played some of her favourite music and it sounded really, really nice. :music:

I need another amp like a hole in the head, but I'm craving one of those Sansui AU-517 or 717 amps. I do so miss Sansui at it's peak.

I had an upgrade 'itch' that needed to be scratched... seeing that I have two pairs of Ushers, I figured that I could offload one pair and get something different.

Along came an as-new pair of Dyaudio DM 2/7 speakers so I snaffled them. Pretty impressed with what they bring to the table - greater extension, transparency and detail than the Ushers. Superior imaging too. Very happy that I can still hold onto my white Ushers though - they really are a cracking speaker, and I will continue to use them regularly in our bedroom/PC system.

Visually, I think I still prefer the Ushers. The Dyns are a little 'bland' in my eyes. Function over beauty I guess!

Note that the eggcrate foam is only a temporary measure for when the Dyns are sitting close to the wall - Mrs Mac would NEVER let the foam stay there on a permanent basis (I don't blame her!) They seem to tame the bass from the rear port a little bit. Using the supplied foam plug in the rear port probably knocks off a little bit too much bass for my liking.

There's also a comparison shot to show the size difference between the Ushers and the larger Dyns with their 6.5" woofer vs the 5" woofer in the Ushers.

DynaudioDM271.jpg

DynaudioDM272.jpg

DynaudioDM275.jpg

DynaudioDM274.jpg

Nice one mate. I'm also thinking of upgrading my speakers. I have a pair of Usher on my radar.

Back
Top Bottom