My System thread

Mlistens03

I’ve got a pretty nice system in here, although nothing super special... I have a Technics SU-v75 integrated amplifier, with the ST-S74 tuner, a Sony DVP-NS700P CD/DVD player (this is a candidate for upgrading), a Technics SL-3200 TT (not amazing, but I like it) with a Shure M97xE phono cartridge, and for my speakers I have Mission Freedom 770 MK IV’s. I was very lucky to find my Missions at the flea market in Florida, the guy only wanted $50 for them! Lastly (and probably least), I have Monoprice speaker cables and mostly generic RCAs, with one set of Monster RCAs. The generic ones sound better :lol:
All this gear needs a little restoring, except for the TT and CDP. I have a few cans of DeOxit to use on my gear, which should help quite a bit. Then I need to get new ferrofluid for the tweeters in my Missions and new surrounds for the woofers. I’m also thinking about getting a Polk DSW Pro sub, because they are very small and perform well.
If you all have any suggestions, please let me know. I’m already looking for a better integrated and CDP, plus better ICs and speaker cables. I’m also gonna eventually recap the XOs in my Mission speakers, but I don’t know how much money I’ll be looking at for that, so I’m not sure if that’ll work out.
Micah

Ok so I took pics, but they aren’t showing up in the post correctly, hopefully you guys will be able to see them.
Below is the right Mission speaker, my TT and CDP, and my Technics integrated. The Technics is on the desk for service, I’m just cleaning the contacts and stuff.

Attachments

• 14182572-8766-4D40-9D37-C641914A39D0.jpeg
    14182572-8766-4D40-9D37-C641914A39D0.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 8E48EA07-29A6-4D4E-9AB9-02BB8407DD99.jpeg
    8E48EA07-29A6-4D4E-9AB9-02BB8407DD99.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 63B005B5-1BF7-453E-A75A-4CE04260A3F0.jpeg
    63B005B5-1BF7-453E-A75A-4CE04260A3F0.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 169
Since you mentioned upgrading the CD player, why not stay with Sony but move up the line. Original MSRP of $1000 now often available for as little as $80. These are really great players, I purchased a Sony DVP NS500V new back in the day based on the glowing reviews, I wasn't impressed. At a time when my friends were paying less than $50 on players I expected more, I believe it was $289 from Audio Advisor. Just couldn't see paying $1000 On one since the 500 had been favorably compared to $1500 decks I saw no point.

When I saw the 900V for $80 I figured "What do I have to lose?" Wow, night and day, purchased another, then the 999ES.

Sony DVP NS900V, I have two but they're black, still looking for one in silver.
sony900v.gif

Sony DVP NS999ES, mine is silver
x158dvp999s-f_LD.jpeg

Last edited:
Since you mentioned upgrading the CD player, why not stay with Sony but move up the line. Original MSRP of $1000 now often available for as little as $80. These are really great players, I purchased a Sony DVP NS500V new back in the day based on the glowing reviews, I wasn't impressed. At a time when my friends were paying less than $50 on players I expected more, I believe it was $289 from Audio Advisor. Just couldn't see paying $1000 On one since the 500 had been favorably compared to $1500 decks I saw no point.

When I saw the 900V for $80 I figured "What do I have to lose?" Wow, night and day, purchased another, then the 999ES.

Sony DVP NS900V, I have two but they're black, still looking for one in silver.
View attachment 1237876

Sony DVP NS999ES, mine is silver
View attachment 1237877
Wow. Those look awesome!
I will be upgrading my CDP, but I think this system is (mostly) just temporary. At this point, I’m looking into building some Pi 2 speakers, and a separate subwoofer, along with a baby Marantz or Yamaha integrated. I will keep my Missions (they are my restoration project, and they hold a special place in my heart as they were my first, and IMO best, set of speakers I have ever owned) and switch back and forth between them.

This afternoon I used some DeOxit on the contacts and pots on all my gear. My turntable speed adjusts much more smoothly, and the noise floor seems to be lower now. Pretty surprising what the stuff can do.
Micah

Found a Lafayette LR-1100 at my local flea market, works almost perfectly, except for some major distortion through some frequencies. I’ve narrowed it down to one cap, I just have to buy a replacement. Where do I go for this after the fall of RadioShack?
Sounds really nice other than the distortion issue. Makes my Missions really sing. I thought my Technics sounded good!

Found a Lafayette LR-1100 at my local flea market, works almost perfectly, except for some major distortion through some frequencies. I’ve narrowed it down to one cap, I just have to buy a replacement. Where do I go for this after the fall of RadioShack?
Sounds really nice other than the distortion issue. Makes my Missions really sing. I thought my Technics sounded good!

Mouser.

How did you narrow it down to one cap? In output, driver, preamp stages? Just one channel?

The LR-1100 is not a bad looking basic receiver and has roughly 22 watts per channel.

bef43d5ce02368d0a74cdcf7200d0af7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom