My take on replacing the Citation 22 speaker terminals

Roadrash

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
When I bought my Citation 22 frome Ebay it arrived with some damage to the mounting bracket for the speaker terminal PCB. One side of the PCB was unsecured but it didn't affect the operation of the amp so I wasn't worried about it. While I was changing the speaker wire the other day, one of the terminals broke off of the circuit board. I decided it was a good time to switch over to 5 way binding posts. I ordered the Dayton posts from Parts Express and got started.
First I de-soldered the wires from the board and removed it from the amp. Then I cut a 2 1/2x2 1/2 inch piece of 1/8 inch aluminum plate, then more or less centered it where the PCB was inside the amp and marked all the holes. Then I drilled all the holes and test fit everything.(the posts have small tabs on one of the plastic washers that will need to be removed)
KIMG1111.jpg
I then mounted the plate to the amp (with the posts removed) and soldered the wires to the negative posts, then mounted them to the plate. Then I mounted the positive posts to the plate and put the small wires from the 3 wire connector at the bottom of the PCB through the holes on the posts. The gray wire goes to the right and the black wire goes to the left positive posts and the center wire is unused. Then I soldered the wires to the posts. I'm happy to say it worked like a champ, and the posts are much easier to deal with and you can use bananas if you wish to.
KIMG1117.jpg KIMG1118.jpg KIMG1120.jpg KIMG1121.jpg
Hopefully this will help someone:beerchug:

I use a chunk of wire with a pair of banana jacks on them in the stupidly designed, cheaply made original speaker connections. I don't need to mess with these connections except to clean them occasionally. I like what you did, maybe not your choice of binding posts but it is your amp and it is a well executed upgrade.

I use a chunk of wire with a pair of banana jacks on them in the stupidly designed, cheaply made original speaker connections. I don't need to mess with these connections except to clean them occasionally. I like what you did, maybe not your choice of binding posts but it is your amp and it is a well executed upgrade.
Thank you Blue Shadow. I may upgrade the posts at a later date, but I was prototyping and I wanted to make sure everything worked the way I thought it would in my head. Truth be told they really aren't bad posts and seem to sound just fine, plus I had just ordered some Furutech locking banana plugs the night before I broke the post off of the 22. So I didn't want to fork put the money for Cardas posts at that particular moment. I have some spare male halves of the binding posts if you want them(you still have a 22 right?).

Last edited:
I just haven't decided I need the flashy yellow colored metal plated clear plastic see through posts. Have em on one set of speakers that I got in 2010 or so and well I've been using Pomona banana plugs and dual binding posts and can not see a need to use anything different from that. That 3/4" standard spacing is nice and makes connections easy without the possibility of + hitting - and causing problems. The Pomona gear just work, forever.

Unfortunately the the cutout in the Cit is no conducive to installing a set of dual binding posts, but I don't have to do that until I break one of the connectors on the amp now or lose one of those goofy nuts. And to think that Yamaha liked that obtuse system of speaker wire connections to include it on their amps. The salesman for that crap must have moved up in the company cause that was a feat. Not a good one, though.

I just haven't decided I need the flashy yellow colored metal plated clear plastic see through posts. Have em on one set of speakers that I got in 2010 or so and well I've been using Pomona banana plugs and dual binding posts and can not see a need to use anything different from that. That 3/4" standard spacing is nice and makes connections easy without the possibility of + hitting - and causing problems. The Pomona gear just work, forever.

Unfortunately the the cutout in the Cit is no conducive to installing a set of dual binding posts, but I don't have to do that until I break one of the connectors on the amp now or lose one of those goofy nuts. And to think that Yamaha liked that obtuse system of speaker wire connections to include it on their amps. The salesman for that crap must have moved up in the company cause that was a feat. Not a good one, though.
You're welcome to those goofy nuts I have left over if you ever need or want them!

For all of the excellent quality, they really screwed this one up. Same as the Citation 24. They could have at least spaced the posts for dual banana plugs. The good news is that one rarely has to deal with those connections.

When I bought my Citation 22 frome Ebay it arrived with some damage to the mounting bracket for the speaker terminal PCB. One side of the PCB was unsecured but it didn't affect the operation of the amp so I wasn't worried about it. While I was changing the speaker wire the other day, one of the terminals broke off of the circuit board. I decided it was a good time to switch over to 5 way binding posts. I ordered the Dayton posts from Parts Express and got started.
First I de-soldered the wires from the board and removed it from the amp. Then I cut a 2 1/2x2 1/2 inch piece of 1/8 inch aluminum plate, then more or less centered it where the PCB was inside the amp and marked all the holes. Then I drilled all the holes and test fit everything.(the posts have small tabs on one of the plastic washers that will need to be removed)
View attachment 1066976
I then mounted the plate to the amp (with the posts removed) and soldered the wires to the negative posts, then mounted them to the plate. Then I mounted the positive posts to the plate and put the small wires from the 3 wire connector at the bottom of the PCB through the holes on the posts. The gray wire goes to the right and the black wire goes to the left positive posts and the center wire is unused. Then I soldered the wires to the posts. I'm happy to say it worked like a champ, and the posts are much easier to deal with and you can use bananas if you wish to.
View attachment 1067003 View attachment 1067005 View attachment 1067006 View attachment 1067007
Hopefully this will help someone:beerchug:
That looks mighty sweet! Truth be told, I was so aggravated when it snapped off, I just wanted a fix - and i wanted it done ASAP!! I am smack cought up with some bulging disc issues in my neck so even the thought of going out to the work shop[ gives me pain! :)

But! I agree. That process will definitely end up saving somebody from a very expensive repair.

Back
Top Bottom