My turntable sounds bad with new AV Receiver. Help!

mobylovr

Hey all -

I have been using a Project Carbon turntable with some older Klipsch speakers and a vintage Marantz 2220B stereo receiver with built in phono input. I have always enjoyed the sound from this, but it wasn't ideal for my TV setup in the same room.

I recently purchased new Klipsch Reference speakers, sub, and center at huge discount, with a new Yamaha rx-v481 AV receiver to support my tv with 5.1 surround sound as well as my turntable. The surround sound with this receiver for TV/Movies sounds great enough, but then when I switched the input to the turntable, it sounds flat and boring. I couldn't believe how disappointing it was, and I guess I am surprised that I am audiophile enough to notice right away. I played a few different records, and they all sound dull. I even played around with the settings and had my wife listen to see if I was making it it up (she quickly confirmed I wasn't). I am also using a Cambridge Audio 640p preamp with this Yamaha receiver, so it isn't due to the lack of a pre-amp (which is what all the other forum topics are addressing on my google searches).

I am starting to read/learn that modern AV receivers can't compete with stereo receivers at the same price for a variety of engineering reasons that I am still comprehending. However, I am not interested in paying $1500 for an 5.1 AV receiver that was also support my turntable, but is that really my only option if I want to get close to the sound that I had before with my old stereo receiver? Are there brands/models that people can recommend, or a different setup where I can use the same speakers for both tv and turntable and would bring the price down a bit? I am looking at the Marantz NR1506 but I fear that it won't be much of an improvement to the Yamaha.

Thanks in advance!

Try using an external phono preamp and see if it isn't better. The ART Phono preamp is less than 50 bux and you can't do better unless you are prepared to spend around 300 or more.

Maybe I missed something but I can't see where this receiver has a built in phono stage. If that's the case, Celt is correct. You'll need to purchase an external phono preamp.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v481_u/

Remember, your Marantz was made about 40 years ago when records were the only way to go. Nowadays, most people don't care about records and MOST modern receivers don't include a phono stage

[edit] oops... I see where you already have a phono stage. Yamahas are pretty neutral receivers. Maybe you might try another one.

I'm assuming that you have the tt connected to the phono inputs on the pre and the pre outs connected to one of the analog inputs on the Yamaha.

Switch the amp to stereo and hit the Direct button. That will bypass all of the sound field settings, tone modifications and so on.

Murray

An input used to reproduce LPs needs to provide for RIAA equalization somewhere in its circuitry. Some, but not all preamps include RIAA equalization or NARTB equalzation for tape recordings. Some even have the ability to choose between the two source types. Whatever preamp you use, be sure it includes equalization.

Joe

What some folk seem to be missing is, the OP has a Cambridge phono stage. Only settings on that are cartridge type and a boom filter. You should be able to plug that into either AV2,3, or 4 with good results. Unfortunately, neither unit has any adjustable line level, so you're pretty much stuck with what you got.

You could also try the front panel jack. That's strictly audio, and may bypass any issues with using a complete AV input without a video connection. You'd need a special cable for that though.

PS ... I see Yamaha has a firmware update for that unit ... couldn't hertz to try that and see if it helps. Unless you brick it trying to upgrade and it all goes horribly wrong ... ;-}

What some folk seem to be missing is, the OP has a Cambridge phono stage. Only settings on that are cartridge type and a boom filter. You should be able to plug that into either AV2,3, or 4 with good results. Unfortunately, neither unit has any adjustable line level, so you're pretty much stuck with what you got.

You could also try the front panel jack. That's strictly audio, and may bypass any issues with using a complete AV input without a video connection. You'd need a special cable for that though.

PS ... I see Yamaha has a firmware update for that unit ... couldn't hertz to try that and see if it helps. Unless you brick it trying to upgrade and it all goes horribly wrong ... ;-}
Lol. I thought it was a pre amp but indeed it's a phono pre. :)

Murray

This is the sort of stuff that made me stick with dedicated audio and video systems.

That said, I do have the systems interconnected so I can drive audio in a few more rooms with either, using whatever sources are hooked to each. Best of both worlds, with true 4.1 (classic quad w/center) for audio, and a more or less state of the art AVR (sans phono) in another room for video.

Hey all -

I have been using a Project Carbon turntable with some older Klipsch speakers and a vintage Marantz 2220B stereo receiver with built in phono input. I have always enjoyed the sound from this, but it wasn't ideal for my TV setup in the same room.

I recently purchased new Klipsch Reference speakers, sub, and center at huge discount, with a new Yamaha rx-v481 AV receiver to support my tv with 5.1 surround sound as well as my turntable. The surround sound with this receiver for TV/Movies sounds great enough, but then when I switched the input to the turntable, it sounds flat and boring. I couldn't believe how disappointing it was, and I guess I am surprised that I am audiophile enough to notice right away. I played a few different records, and they all sound dull. I even played around with the settings and had my wife listen to see if I was making it it up (she quickly confirmed I wasn't). I am also using a Cambridge Audio 640p preamp with this Yamaha receiver, so it isn't due to the lack of a pre-amp (which is what all the other forum topics are addressing on my google searches).

I am starting to read/learn that modern AV receivers can't compete with stereo receivers at the same price for a variety of engineering reasons that I am still comprehending. However, I am not interested in paying $1500 for an 5.1 AV receiver that was also support my turntable, but is that really my only option if I want to get close to the sound that I had before with my old stereo receiver? Are there brands/models that people can recommend, or a different setup where I can use the same speakers for both tv and turntable and would bring the price down a bit? I am looking at the Marantz NR1506 but I fear that it won't be much of an improvement to the Yamaha.

Thanks in advance!
I have been thoroughly enjoying the $99 U-Turn Pluto phono-pre. It trumps anything I have heard including Shiit mani (?) up to the units with adjustable loading that start in the $250 range last I checked sometime ago.

Back
Top Bottom