My Two Channel System - Please comment on the weakest link

Meloski

IMG_2691.jpg
This VPI Scout features 9" JMW tonearm, SDS Soundeck platter mat and a Little Fwend (an expensive accessory but worth every penny)

IMG_2687.jpg
AT33PTG/II, The best cart I've owned so far. Great detail and imaging.

IMG_2688.jpg
A modified Jolida JD9 Phono Stage

IMG_2481.jpg
Fully dampened, upgraded caps, NOS Bugle Boy 12ax7 tubes, upgraded power cord

IMG_2491.jpg
OPA627 opamps installed

IMG_2692 2.jpg
Unmodified Jolida JD202BRC hosting a tube complement of Gold Lion KT77, NOS Bugle Boy 12AT7, NOS Telefunken 12AX7

IMG_2690.jpg
Lastly a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers. I listened to a lot of speakers over a six month period before I settled on this pair.

A5EEFBE0-07C4-4A37-A9AC-9840F7526DE6.jpeg

Cheers,

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
IMHO, do the upgrades Jolida offers on this amp. Once done, play around with tube rolling, to find your audio nirvana. Again, IMHO.

IMHO, do the upgrades Jolida offers on this amp. Once done, play around with tube rolling, to find your audio nirvana. Again, IMHO.
I got the last one of these amps in the dealers inventory and had them send it in for the Level 1 upgrade on its way to me. I have paired with a CS-5000 and Allison L-110’s in the bedroom. That amp really makes those nipple tweeters shine.

Weakest link? Nothing really. Nicely optimized gear indeed. OTOH, I don't recall your mentioning anything about room treatments. Such can make a big difference.

As another Scout owner, I can recommend upgrading to the 300 RPM motor and using an external speed controller. And upgrading the OPA627s with discrete FET modules from companies like Burson Audio. I found V5s a good bit better than OPA2134s.

I have Six 4 x 2 sheets of OC 703, in a box, in the garage. I used them in in another space and they made a world of difference. I believe room treatment can be one of the best, bang for the buck upgrades, you can make. Wife appeal, not so much. I'll build some frames with fabric and see if I can ease them in this winter.

What are the speaker cables? (This is not an invitation for this to become a debate about cables guys).
You can do better than the Chromecast for digital, but you probably know that.

The speaker cables are semi homemade. I purchased 12AWG 2-Conductor Speaker Wire, nylon sheathing, shrink tube, pants and spade connectors from Monoprice. Assembly was easy and fun. Interconnects are all Audioquest - Evergreen.

I don't know what your using, but now may be a good time to look at upgrading cabling and an audiophile power strip.
Year ago I had a Jolida then a Cary amp and they performed quite nicely w/ Kimber Kable.

Exceptional! I could live with your setup for many years!

Tube coolers/dampers? Lots of mixed opinions on those overpriced gizmos, but they work great on my EF86 powered studio preamps. I have them on my EL84 tubes in my Vox and Marshall amps as well. I don't think that 12AX7, AT7, AU7 etc. require them unless they are unusually hot or are lack air circulation. Even then...who knows.

MHEATDAMP-Large.jpg

Now for Mellotronix's pet soap box. Room treatment--as mentioned by Meloski above. Even non-audiophiles immediately notice the difference when they walk into my room. You can crank your speakers to their sweet spots without any nasty slap reflections or standing waves, and if you want to hear those tubes working, you gotta go loud and proud! The Auralex ProPanels don't completely kill ambience--they just control the problem areas. Some rooms do no lend themselves to such treatments, but if yours does, I would explore it. There are lots of products on the market. I went with Auralex Pro Panel Kit 1.

1484845288000_IMG_738639.jpg

Auralex and Pimacoustic make pretty much the same type of products but offer different packages.

Incidentally, if you do go with the Auralex style panels, budget at least $300 for shipping. They have to be palletized and shipped by truck.

Edit--I thought of one other thing. Your AT cart is highly regarded, indeed, and probably one of the best deals out there according to what I've read online. But there are some relatively recent moving iron designs by SoundSmith and Grado that are extremely compelling and won't be out of line price-wise considering your well-chosen gear. Just planting a seed...

Last edited:
Depending on your age I would say it is your ears and or what lies between them. :D You have done very well.

If you're using the Chromecast for digital that is an easy place to upgrade. Grab at least a Sonos. I like the Bluesound. Some people like the Auralic Aries Mini. Pair either with a great DAC and you won't need to upgrade that end of the system for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom