Mytek Brooklyn - Anybody have one?

I still haven't moved on getting a new DAC yet. The schiit Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit have entered the ring with the DAC2 and Mytek Brooklyn.

Has anyone here heard the Yggdrasil compared to any of the DACs above?

I ended up buying a Benchmark DAC1 USB off some guy locally on Craigslist. Sounds really good in my main speaker setup. This should quell the upgrade bug for a good, long while!

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. I have a Mytek Brooklyn. It's unreal. BEST money I have ever spent in audio.

I could go on and on about it but, trust me - it's absolutely fantastic. If you're in the market for a DAC and can afford the price tag, it's worth every penny. I connected it via coax with Bluesound Node 2 and it sounded very nice. But when I connected it through USB to my Mac, it was another world. 32/384??? who listens to music at 32/384? Well, I do now. And I always laughed at people who say they can tell the difference; I'm telling you, it's not even a small difference.

This DAC is amazing - I give it 2 thumbs up, and I'd give it more if I had more thumbs.

You have access to material in that format?
I ripped something off the net at must have been in some strange format.

Most of my stuff is flac or Tidal. I do have some rando stuff that's in all sorts of weird hi-res output.

If you care about DSD, don't get the D100.

Does the D150 do MQA?
It should be able to, yes.

The McIntosh D1100 is simply the finest DAC I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Compared to the other two DACs, the D1100 is in a league of its own. Unfortunately, I'm not capable of buying such a beautiful piece from McIntosh due to money. The D1100’s left and right audio channels and power supplies are electrically isolated from each other to produce true dual mono operation when used by itself. :) You'll need $7,000-$7,500 if you want it though. :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume the McIntosh D1100 can do MQA. Maybe it can, but maybe not. They'd have to enter into a partnership of sorts with Meridian if they want to include the ability to decode MQA. I'll see if I can look it up.

Here's a link to the MQA website. Their partners are listed, and I don't see McIntosh. Some of the manufacturers have yet to come around. I guess they don't care if their customers go elsewhere.

our-partners

I wouldn't assume the McIntosh D1100 can do MQA. Maybe it can, but maybe not. They'd have to enter into a partnership of sorts with Meridian if they want to include the ability to decode MQA. I'll see if I can look it up.

Here's a link to the MQA website. Their partners are listed, and I don't see McIntosh. Some of the manufacturers have yet to come around. I guess they don't care if their customers go elsewhere.

our-partners
MQA is ridiculous. Whoever created that atrocious format only wants to mooch off of other companies. If you're going to drop a legendary brand like McIntosh to buy something much cheaper for an unpopular format like MQA, then you'll be missing out. There are plenty of programs that stream popular formats McIntosh DACs are capable of reading. There's absolutely nothing wrong with formats like WAV, FLAC, APE, etc. Don't like playing CDs? No problem. Digitize the music yourself in the formats I've mentioned above and play them from your library.

Last edited:
MQA is ridiculous. Whoever created that atrocious format only wants to mooch off of other companies. If you're going to drop a legendary brand like McIntosh to buy something much cheaper for an unpopular format like MQA, then you'll be missing out. There are plenty of programs that stream popular formats McIntosh DACs are capable of reading. There is nothing wrong with WAV, FLAC, APE, etc. Don't like playing CDs? No problem. Digitize the music yourself in the formats I've mentioned above and play them from your library.

I don't like playing CDs and I don't have the time, energy, or desire to digitize the music myself. If that's what you want to do, go ahead, but I'd never recommend that avenue considering the ROI on your time.

Tidal offers MQA. Tidal itself was once unpopular. Chances are McIntosh gets MQA before MQA gets dropped by Tidal.

I'm not sure it's so ridiculous. I've done some listening myself, to the MQA as decoded by my computer and it sounds great. And supposedly, if you take the final step and buy an MQA enabled DAC, then it will sound even better. In any event, the format seems to be gaining traction, especially with people who like music streamed in that format via Tidal.

As for paying thousands of dollars for McIntosh DAC that's not cutting edge? Why?

I'm not sure it's so ridiculous. I've done some listening myself, to the MQA as decoded by my computer and it sounds great. And supposedly, if you take the final step and buy an MQA enabled DAC, then it will sound even better. In any event, the format seems to be gaining traction, especially with people who like music streamed in that format via Tidal.

As for paying thousands of dollars for McIntosh DAC that's not cutting edge? Why?
You think McIntosh DACs like the D1100 are outdated because they don't play unpopular formats like MQA? :wtf: I hope you're joking. I've never even heard of MQA until now and based on a quick search from Google, it seems pretty absurd. Who would pay money to use that format when the majority of people on planet Earth use WAV and FLAC, both of which will be around for probably a lifetime.

McIntosh D1100:

The USB input accepts up to 32-bit/384kHz signals and supports DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz playback1. All the other inputs accept up to 24-bit/192kHz. The MCT input is a McIntosh exclusive and allows for enjoying to the high resolution audio found on SACDs via the MCT450 SACD/CD Transport.

So.. if something is out of your budget it's not "cutting edge" to you and the hobby you want to partake in. Tell me, what would you do if someone came to your house and installed the McIntosh D1100 for free? Would you tell them you don't want it because it's not "cutting edge"? It's funny the things people do in their mind and express when something is out of their reach of budget.

You think McIntosh DACs like the D1100 are outdated because they don't play unpopular formats like MQA? :wtf: I hope you're joking. I've never even heard of MQA until now and based on a quick search from Google, it seems pretty absurd. Who would pay money to use that format when the majority of people on planet Earth use WAV and FLAC, both of which will be around for probably a lifetime.

McIntosh D1100:

The USB input accepts up to 32-bit/384kHz signals and supports DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz playback1. All the other inputs accept up to 24-bit/192kHz. The MCT input is a McIntosh exclusive and allows for enjoying to the high resolution audio found on SACDs via the MCT450 SACD/CD Transport.

First of all, the comparison is between the Mytek Brooklyn and the D100 or D150, not with the 4-times more expensive D1100.

I'm not so sure what you find so absurd about MQA. Please explain. If you think it's absurd just because "the majority of people on planet Earth use WAV and FLAC," well that is like saying, in 1905, "Who would ever invest in a car when everyone on earth is riding horses???"

If someone snuck in my house and installed a free D1100, I’d sell it and use the money to buy something that hardware unfolds MQA. And some other stuff to go with it.

This whole MQA fight is ridiculous. Every post about it.

So.. if something is out of your budget it's not "cutting edge" to you and the hobby you want to partake in. Tell me, what would you do if someone came to your house and installed the McIntosh D1100 for free? Would you tell them you don't want it because it's not "cutting edge"? It's funny the things people do in their mind and express when something is out of their reach of budget.
I agree with RichardDMan. It's sad that people will insult something that's out of their budget. If someone installed a D1100 in my house, I would keep it without question. :biggrin:
This whole MQA fight is ridiculous. Every post about it.

Maybe to you, but not to others. As I've said once before, to most of us out here, MQA is a sham, and a money grab by all those involved, especially Meridian. Since DVD-Audio died, they can no longer sell licensing for their MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing), so they need something to replace that. (This is a bitter memory from when I used to author DVD-Audio discs--the MLP software was an expensive additional purchase for us.) Selling high-res with all this vague double-talk of "unfolding" simply masks the fact that all they are trying to sell with this sham is LOSSY high-res music. It uses the exact same reasoning that MP3 and Sony's ATRAC for MiniDisc made: it is throwing away information that we apparently are not able to hear anyway. (Yet we do hear the artifacts when this allegedly "unnecessary" information is discarded...the sound is altered for the worse.)

We already have sufficient bandwidth in the consumer space now that 24/96 or even DSD could be streamed on today's broadband Internet connections. MQA is pointless for end users. Since the general public will never go for it, the whole thing reeks of a sham to sell more pointless technology to gullible audiophiles. We already have high-res audio in both PCM and DSD. We don't need another format.

Last edited:
Well, A McIntosh DAC wouldn't at all be out of my budget if I thought it was worth the price. But I don't think it is, so that's not how I'll be spending my money. Anyway, I'm sure the market will sort it all out in the long run. People will buy what they want and I'm sure there'll be choices for everyone. I didn't mean to start an MQA war here.

Back
Top Bottom