NAD 3020 Euro to USA Power

BrentMonster

Hi everyone,

I acquired an NAD 3020 and the plug doesn't fit my American outlets. Help! I think it is compatible if I throw a new plug on it and change a jumper or something of the sort on the board. Can anyone confirm that it is possible and if so, offer guidance on what needs to be changed on the board.

Images on Imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/0mTfo

Thanks!

What does the back of the unit say? Yours is labelled for international capability. The service manual should have documentation as to how to switch voltages. Otherwise, you can buy an inexpensive step-up transformer to use it as-is, just make sure the transformer is robust enough for the power demands of the 3020.

The various NAD 3020's used at least a couple of different transformers - you'll need to change the transformer wiring, but there's no quick 'jumper' or switch to change it over, it needs soldering.

The relevant transformer taps / wire colours are shown in the service manual(s).

The various NAD 3020's used at least a couple of different transformers - you'll need to change the transformer wiring, but there's no quick 'jumper' or switch to change it over, it needs soldering.

The relevant transformer taps / wire colours are shown in the service manual(s).

Ah, in that case it's probably best for op to use a step up transformer unless he knows how to solder.

How tough can it be to solder? Beats hell out of buying a step-up transformer, and playing games with the power supply ahead of the installed transformer. Every transformer has iron and copper losses, too.

With luck, the existing transformer can be re-wired to accommodate the voltage change. The service manual would tell you.

I've got a plastic cube on the back panel of my amps. Switching voltage is as easy as pulling the cube out, installing the correct fuse(s), and reinserting the cube in a different position, then using a power cord that matches the wall socket.

Aragon_8008_voltage_.jpg

How tough can it be to solder? Beats hell out of buying a step-up transformer, and playing games with the power supply ahead of the installed transformer. Every transformer has iron and copper losses, too.

With luck, the existing transformer can be re-wired to accommodate the voltage change. The service manual would tell you.

I've got a plastic cube on the back panel of my amps. Switching voltage is as easy as pulling the cube out, installing the correct fuse(s), and reinserting the cube in a different position, then using a power cord that matches the wall socket.

Aragon_8008_voltage_.jpg

I mean if he wires to transformer up wrong things could go pop.

Hi,

You can obtain the Service Manual with the wiring diagrams at hifiengine.com. If you take that information with you to a TV repair shop or a friend that is familiar with electronics that is all the information they need to re-wire the amp for use in the US. You can replace the AC cord itself or just put an adapter or new plug on the existing cord. If you want to tackle the job yourself you will need to remove the bottom cover to get access to the power switch as that is where all of the transformer primary wires are located. The primary windings of the transformer are really two separate windings. When the windings are wired in series, the 240 volts will create the correct output voltage on the secondary. If the windings are wired in parallel and 120 volts is applied it will create the same voltage on the secondary. One important thing to keep in mind is that the polarity is very important. The Orange and Brown must be connected together and the White and Yellow must be connected together.

Below are copies from the Service manual showing the correct wiring of the primaries. The one on the left is 240 volts and should be how the amp is wired at this time. On the right is what you want to end up with. The Blue and Red wires are used for 100 volts and 230 volts and should be insulated in both instances as they are not needed.

-bob

240 volt.JPG 120 volt.JPG

Hello - recently started a vinyl collection and getting into vintage equipment. I'm waiting on a NAD 3020 to be delivered. I need to purchase a step up/down transformer for now (may get it switched internally at some point), as the one I am getting is originally from overseas. My question is, what size step up/down transformer do I need to get? I saw a similar NAD 3020 recently sold online with an included 200W transformer (similar to the link attached to this message), is this enough?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can provide.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBright-...p+down+transformer&qid=1579531671&sr=8-1&th=1

Hello - recently started a vinyl collection and getting into vintage equipment. I'm waiting on a NAD 3020 to be delivered. I need to purchase a step up/down transformer for now (may get it switched internally at some point), as the one I am getting is originally from overseas. My question is, what size step up/down transformer do I need to get? I saw a similar NAD 3020 recently sold online with an included 200W transformer (similar to the link attached to this message), is this enough?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can provide.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBright-Transformer-Countries-Convert-220-240/dp/B000MW83OG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=200W+step+up+down+transformer&qid=1579531671&sr=8-1&th=1

Any help on this?

I bought a NAD 1000 pre-amp 3 or so years ago and it was intended for the UK market. The previous owner said he had been using it and it did have a North American power plug.

Without a US/Canada version to compare it to, I could not tell what was done to convert it. Might have been re-wiring the taps or maybe a whole new transformer.

The pre=amp works fine but what’s annoying is that there are no AC outlets on the back. There is just a factory sticker where AC plugs would have been on a 120V version.

I’ve wondered if that’s just because there is no room at the back for Euro receptacles or if a law prohibits equipping such things as amplifiers with them.

I bought a NAD 1000 pre-amp 3 or so years ago and it was intended for the UK market. The previous owner said he had been using it and it did have a North American power plug.

Without a US/Canada version to compare it to, I could not tell what was done to convert it. Might have been re-wiring the taps or maybe a whole new transformer.

The pre=amp works fine but what’s annoying is that there are no AC outlets on the back. There is just a factory sticker where AC plugs would have been on a 120V version.

I’ve wondered if that’s just because there is no room at the back for Euro receptacles or if a law prohibits equipping such things as amplifiers with them.

Thanks for the reply. I may look at having rewired at some point, but as of now, just want to get the correct step up/down transformer so I can use it without damaging it. I a told the below link will work well - can anyone here confirm?

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBright-...p+down+transformer&qid=1579531671&sr=8-1&th=1

Back
Top Bottom