NAD 3130 budget upgrade ?

Callan1967

i have a nad 3130 amp which I like but am wondering what I might upgrade to that will give a significant improvement for little outlay.

It powers a pair on tannoy mercury m20 golds and I run an ariston q deck with at95e in tow. Cd is marantz cd52.

I listen to electronic music like jarre, Sylvian, slow readers club and rock mostly, bit of buddy rich and other jazz.

Any ideas ?

you could also update the internal components, it will sound better and last longer. cheap
if you DIY (final sales at maplins - I would show up with pounds of pounds to buy everything
in sight for cost and future availability reasons), or replace it, or send it out - in order of
increasing costs...

Not into diy I'm afraid.

Well I paid £65 for the nad couple of years ago, second hand definitely probably around £100 max. I'm a skinflint !

Remote not required.

Might be difficult to find a real upgrade at that price, but patience, a sharp eye and enjoying what you have until opportunity knocks can yield surprising results with the addition of a bit of luck.

Might be difficult to find a real upgrade at that price, but patience, a sharp eye and enjoying what you have until opportunity knocks can yield surprising results with the addition of a bit of luck.

Yes I get that, I do like the nad, so not desperate. I have considered an arcam alpha 7 or Cambridge audio am10 topaz, both seem within budget

Any used Yamaha M-series amps in your neck of the woods? The problem would be $ for both an amp with a bit more oomph as well as a decent preamp, as you run multiple sources...
Not sure what the efficiency rating is on the Tannoys, but another option would be selling off your 3130 and getting another used NAD or Yamaha integrated with a bit more power (100-125wpc) for better headroom?

You like the NAD, so why not keep it? You've got pre-out/in on the back, buy a bigger amp. NAD 2400 is a good one.

Looks like the Tannoys are 93db efficient...not bad...still, the NAD is 30wpc for 8 ohm speakers. I am thinking a bit more power would benefit you overall...

i have a nad 3130 amp which I like but am wondering what I might upgrade to that will give a significant improvement for little outlay.

It powers a pair on tannoy mercury m20 golds and I run an ariston q deck with at95e in tow. Cd is marantz cd52.

I listen to electronic music like jarre, Sylvian, slow readers club and rock mostly, bit of buddy rich and other jazz.

Any ideas ?

First change your cartridge? I tried that AT95E, and thought it was like listening to a bad CD. If your Ariston can take a Grado without hum, howabout a cheap Grado Prestige cart with an upgraded 8MZ stylus?

Perhaps a new cart/stylus would be the easiest/least expensive route for an immediate (and significant) improvement in sound quality. However, there is no reason to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak. The AT95e is is a respectable entry-level cart, but there are a variety of styli offered as a clear upgrade path.

Yes I get that, I do like the nad, so not desperate. I have considered an arcam alpha 7 or Cambridge audio am10 topaz, both seem within budget

I'm unsure whether those are clearly upgrades from the NAD, having had no experience with either model. I do have a small form factor Cambridge Audio Sonata-something receiver that has impressed me with its SQ, though. The Topaz would presumably be as good, or better. No experience at all with Arcam, just am aware they've gotten good reviews over the years. If the seller were amenable to a trial...

I finally decided that when it comes to an upgrade, make it a good, obvious one, and avoid sideways moves.

Last edited:
I agree to no sideways moves.

I like the at cart however I have an ortofon something or other lying around somewhere which I might try out, not used it on this deck before.

I am leaning towards turntable upgrade as I do like the nad, had an arcam and it was nice but a little flaky.

Back
Top Bottom