NAD 6040 VU meters

juptonstone

Member at Large...
Both VU meters on my cassette deck light up, but do not respond to the signal. Is this a known problem and is there a quick fix or is this hunt and peck on the board?

Thank you!!!

6040 Meters

Hey There!

I have a 6040 and I just fixed mine. There are two variable pots on the main circuit board and I just cleaned mine with de-oxit and tweaked them.

It being near 3 am I will put a pin in this until tomorrow, pop the top for you, and I will take a picture or two of the board and the two little variable resistors.

Cheers!

6040 Meters

Hi There,

So here are a couple pics of my system and I've added a shot of the circuit board with a couple of arrows showing the two variable resistors that affect the current going to the meters.

I've attached a couple pages from the service manual. Note on page 7 at the top right there is a part for the VU Meter Adjustment. Note the name of the VR's is RV103 and RV203. They reference Figure 4-5. I attached that page as well. RV103 is the left channel, RV203 is the right channel.

Unplug your machine from power, pop the top, look at the right side of the board to find them. Note the position of each because you might want to return them back to their original location. I squirted both with Deoxit D5 and used a small flat screwdriver to spin each VR back and forth full travel each side to clean the oxide off the signal path. This brought both of my meters to life.

Once you've done that, throw a tape in it, bring it to life and press play, spin them as you are watching the meters. You can adjust how far the needles bounce at the peaks.

Don't get a shock.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_141741.jpg
    IMG_20150301_141741.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20150301_141819.jpg
    IMG_20150301_141819.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20150301_150850.jpg
    IMG_20150301_150850.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Meter Adjustment.jpg
    Meter Adjustment.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Meter Adjustment 2.jpg
    Meter Adjustment 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hi

Ive tried the above for this NAD cassette problem, unit works perfect, VU meters just stuck, no movement

Any other ideas on how I can get these VU meters working again?

Thanks

John

On the bump
Hello, i had a problem where the meters were stuck, even if i opened the vu meters and very carefully moved the needle, i could see that it did not move freely, is that the problem you have ?

PS, does anyone have a service manual to share for this NAD tape recorder as i am strugling with a lost right channel.

Thanks

//Kexoo

Try carefully tweaking the small spring tension screws on the front of the meters with a jewelers screwdriver after you have removed the covers.

What are the options regarding VU meter replacement ? I managed to fix the R meter by tweaking the small screw but made a mess of the L meter .

Hey guys I know this is an old post. Just wondering I’ve tried all theses suggestions and still no by meter action. As well the deck plays but stops intermittently the play button pops up. Any suggestions?

Hey guys I know this is an old post. Just wondering I’ve tried all theses suggestions and still no by meter action. As well the deck plays but stops intermittently the play button pops up. Any suggestions?
It’s the tape counter, just fixed mine belt was too loose. Still can’t seem to fix my vu meters tho

Hey Tronlee. I did eventually figure that out and got that working and the player does work good but like yours I cannot get the vu to work. Thank you for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom