NAD C375BEE or Marantz PM8005

crn3371

This is an offshoot of my $1500 integrated thread. I went into this 90% sure I was going to get the Rogue Sphinx. After some soul searching (and a reality check) I realized that I didn't think I could live without tone controls. I'm "tone bypass" whenever possible, but there are just some recordings that need a little help in order to sound their best. So here I am, with the Marantz and the NAD my 2 choices. Both will be refurbs, with the Marantz going for around $900, and the NAD $1150. 70 watts vs 150 watts. Pretty much the same features, with maybe the NAD slightly ahead due to its 2 expansion bays. So, what about the sound? I'm unable to audition, so I'm at your mercy. Thanks in advance.

Hmm. These are pretty good amps but I'll bet one of those without tone controls sounds better. The Marantz is built in Japan with a nice warranty and the NAD, not. I think the NAD is pretty darn nice sounding if I had to choose between the two based purely on sound I would choose the NAD...but at that price I would buy neither of them.

Unless I missed it, you haven't said in either thread what the rest of your gear, especially the speakers you are driving are. That does make a difference otherwise many of the recommendations you are going to get are peoples personal choice or something they want someone else to try and report back on. But based just on the choices you gave I would buy the NAD.

Speakers are EMP Tek R55Ti towers, recommended power 50-200 watts, 88db sensitivity. They're in a small (12x12) dedicated 2 channel room. Right now they're being driven by an older Integra (Onkyo) stereo receiver that's rated at 100 watts. Volume knob rarely gets above 10:00. Sources are a Music Hall Ikura turntable w/2M Blue for regular listening, an AT-LP120 for 78's, Technics 5 disc CD player (M.A.S.H.), and a Matrix M-stage headphone amp.

Those speakers are pretty large, so I would go with the NAD with more juice.
I think both amps are very nice so you wouldn't go wrong with either.

I deleted my post regarding the Anthem 225. Read too many stories about controls freezing

I deleted my post regarding the Anthem 225. Read too many stories about controls freezing

Funny, when I was looking, I almost bought the Anthem, but read the same things about freezing issues on the volume. I posted in another thread my opinion on the NAD.

Not sure I get Art's comment - the price is good so long as you have some kind of warranty.

The 150 watts (and 220 peak when needed - i.e. if during a loud listening session the speakers call for more power than 150 watts.. which I doubt they ever would, the NAD can do it easily without clipping - btw your room is similar in size to mine).

The C375BEE is a beast of an amp, not sure you would need more power than it is capable of driving. Loads of options and yea the MDC modules are pretty sweet and affordable, sonic return is way above price point.

Marantz has a great name, excellent product..but seems your speakers will sing with more power/head room.

As refurbs I suspect you will have some limited warranty.....Have fun!

I have the NAD C-165/C-275 pre and amplifier (similar to the C-375) and couldn't be happier.

NAD.

Murray

OP, the following may not apply to you, but in case it does...I too need tone controls. In my case, it is not to tame hot recordings but to increase the treble to help out my old ears. If that is the case for you and you know where you start losing upper frequency hearing, then pay particular attention to the center frequency of the treble control. If your hearing is good, it still is a good idea to know if the treble will tame that 6 to 10khz range that seems to be the area where most complain about brightness. On the other end, it is good to know if your system could benefit from bass boost, and if so, where that boost should be centered. I know, I know, more @$#! to think about. You're welcome.:D

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm rethinking my "need" for tone controls. I've always had them, but I'm starting to realize that by insisting on them that I may missing out on some excellent, arguably better, amps. So, it sounds like the NAD over the Marantz. How does the NAD stack up against my original choice, the Sphinx?

Hmm. These are pretty good amps but I'll bet one of those without tone controls sounds better. The Marantz is built in Japan with a nice warranty and the NAD, not. I think the NAD is pretty darn nice sounding if I had to choose between the two based purely on sound I would choose the NAD...but at that price I would buy neither of them.

I thought you meant 'either' but wasn't sure hence my comment :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm rethinking my "need" for tone controls. I've always had them, but I'm starting to realize that by insisting on them that I may missing out on some excellent, arguably better, amps. So, it sounds like the NAD over the Marantz. How does the NAD stack up against my original choice, the Sphinx?

NAD has them - I personally like the option but it's easily defeated (push a button and everything is ruler flat - push the button in and then you activate the tone control - best of both worlds).

Also, forgot to mention, like most good amps, this amp is silent. Too silent. I'm used to hearing a bit of a 'hiss' which tells me "oops - better turn it down". But on the NAD - nothing, you wouldn't even know it was on until the music comes blasting out and you need to turn it down ;)

Can anyone comment on the NAD DAC and phono modules? Especially interested in the quality of the phono module.

Back
Top Bottom