Nagaoka MP200

I have a Nagoaka MP11 on an older basic pioneer TT I bought to try out vinyl and can't believe how good this $100 cartridge sounds. It tracks like a champ, and makes nearly all my records sound good as it keeps surface noise down, Yet retains very good detail. It looks to me like their MP200 is one of the better value cartridges for those wanting to move up a step or two in SQ, While keeping the cost of a replacement stylus reasonable.

In a direct comparison with the my CD player/DAC combo (which cost many times what I paid for my TT/cartridge/Preamp), The CD's in some respects (not necessarily quieter) are much better. I'll bet the MP200 on say a Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT would get a whole lot closer to my CD set-up than my 35 year old entry level Pioneer TT and MP11 cartridge. Even a better TT with the MP11 might make a noticeable difference. Needless to say, The biggest enjoyment I get out of LP's isn't better sound, It the whole LP experience. If I'm not in the mode I listen to CD's.
If your LP doesn't sound as good as CD, something is wrong with your setup. On my Thorens/VTL/Classe/Aerial system the LP (MP200 on a TD160Super mk5) absolutely trounces the CD version 90% of the time and I have a pretty decent CD player (Denon DCD A100). When I upgraded to the ATOC9ML/II the difference was even more striking.

Last edited:
30 Hour Update

Been spinning vinyl all day.......Have to say this MP200 is an absolute dream! I can only imagine what the MP500 can do....but again I need a better phono amp to reap its benfits.

The lowend has come in, much more developed and tighter (yes) than the MP110. I get bone moving lowend on bass pedals and sustained bass guitar notes.
The mids are nice and natural, no coloration at all. The highs are clean, crisp and fast....Cymbals have that wonderful tin sound on occasion. The MP200 is much more refined than the MP110, as it should be. The couple steps up are definately noticable to me and my system.
I am probably at the very top end of what the NAD phono stage can give me.

I am pretty darn happy right now :music:

I´m only in 6-7hours break in period. Everything is nice besides bass. I´m waiting when bass come to cart :) Probably another 20 hours needed. Its fantastic cart!

Back
Top Bottom