Nak BX150 Help

Lazarus Long

Just picked this up.. I have no experience with nak decks. It plays, and sounds pretty good. The problem is that it doesn't like to FF or REV. It will sometimes, but not every time. It also might decide to slow down or stop FF or REV.. My guess is that it is the idler wheel? How difficult is it to replace?

The other "issue" is that the master fader up light is constantly on. pressing the down button does not turn that off.. Is this normal?

Idler tire is easy to replace which is your problem. The fader thing is normal.

The idler wheel needs a new tire. They are available online. The one I got was a bit slick but buffed up nicely with some abrasive paper.

When you remove the wheel, notice there is a VERY small, clear plastic retainer/washer. Don't lose it.

there is a little plastic clip retainer on the idler tire wheel. when it pops off it will disappear.

use a piece of masking tape to secure it before popping it off.

ALL Naks will sound better when you clean the rollers, capstans, guides, heads.
and demagnetize.

I'm not certain about the BX-150, but some models have an upgrade for the idler from an idler tire to gear. On some NAK units, you can replace the tire from the front of the transport without removing it. Others require disconnecting several cables and partially disassembling the case. Good luck with yours, it's a nice deck.

there used to be an upgrade kit that replaced the idler tire mechanism with a gear mechanism,
those upgrade kits are no longer around. you can this gear mechanism out of one that has
it but you'd have to research this extensively.

this is all covered in Naktalk archives.

Back
Top Bottom