Nak RX-202 Low Right Channel with Hummmmm

fizzgig

I have a Nak RX-202 that has hum and low volume on the right channel. Shows up on main output and headphones. Output meter reflects the same thing.

I have cleaned the front panel faders and switches completely. I get good circuit signal from the tape head to the R/P Head molex plug on the main PCB.

My first thought is a bad/loose solder point. Nothing pops out at me upon initial visual inspection. Nothing on the board looks fried. I've not worked on a cassette deck before. Just a few amps and a few turntables.

Can anyone out there help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Tapping on the relay had small effect. I could hear the tapping and static in headphones. Will probably order from Mouser so I can pick it up monday.

Thanks much for your help!

I have an LX-5 to figure out next. :)

Jeff

New relay didn't have an effect. Issue persists.

Next steps?

Thanks again for your help and time.

I would try playing a tape and measuring A/C signal down the line. It's hard to follow that schematic without a serious look, but I might try the wiper of VR102 and VR202 first.?.?

Obviously use the good channel as your reference.

If you heard static when tapping the relay, then it was bad. Just not the right defect.

Measure the ohms of each channel at the plug connector for the head.

266 ohms is good. You need to find out why 0 ohms on right. May be a bad head cable. The head can't be 0 ohms. You could desolder head wires and measure the head directly.

Will check it again after the weekend. All I checked was continuity from head post to Molex plug. I'll remove the cables and check ohm of head posts.

That is not possible. Heads don't short circuit to zero ohms. You are just measuring the head with no wires attached, correct?

Or perhaps you are not really getting zero ohms. As in you are mis-reading your ohm meter.

If you are really getting open-circuit on one head channel (not zero ohms) then you need a new head.

I could be doing something wrong I guess. I only removed the right channel wires.

Same settings on multimeter gives 266 on the left channel posts, with wires attached...

And sorry, yes 1 on meter

Is the process for replacing it on the "expert" level? I assume it would need alignment afterward, correct? Worth it for this model?

Back
Top Bottom