Nakamichi System One

Right... they definitly have that NASA control rack look. Still gives me goose bumps..(I have seen more impressive rack systems- that I don't own though)
I've seen many impressive racks!
Sorry couldn't resist that.

Right I have gone though a few sets of speakers, I mostly listen to Hard Rock and Metal..still do however I also like most kinds of music and have quite a collection. The look does have a lot to do with the appeal of this system. Nakamichi was the one to beat when it came to their cassette decks they were pioneers for sure. I agree with the 1000, I used to have one but against better judgement I sold it off... I am left with a useless NR-100.

The 600 series (system 1) and the 400 series were Nakamichi’s first attempt at audio gear outside of their cassette tape dominance. You can tell they spared no expense at this attempt! These were expensive components to develop and they were expensive to purchase. The 600 series were more expensive than the 400 series but both priced above most comparable competition of the time. They did not sell well so there are not many available today. They are out there though and worth the effort to save. As far as sound, they have that 70s SS sound. Certainly clean, but perhaps a little on the sterile side of musical? I must admit though that of all the systems I have owned through the years, the system 1 rack got the most positive comments from visitors to my home! I was a young starving college student back when these came out and I remember totally lusting over them in the showrooms. I remember saying to myself someday I will own one...

Last edited:
Does anyone know the original release date of the Nakamichi System One? I've had mine for years but far from when it was new. I always thought circa '73-'74, but there is not much available information regarding this fine gear. Thanks.

Those System one racks are really cool, but could you imagine if someone made one from wood with a great finish on it. !

[/QUOTE]20180719_165245.jpg

gbkirsch, no offense, but I have to ask: FIRST of all, why would you use a System One in a studio for drums, and SECOND, how could you POSSIBLY like the drums anyway???

Hahaha, I already knew you liked drums and your System One but I paused for a moment anyway...As far as a nicely finished wooden rack for it Drugolf, I think the metal keeps it sort of high tech. I think when it was new, most things Nakamichi were very cutting edge and high tech. Anyway Valveglow, RLRRLRLL...I’m now learning to play double bass...

Hahaha, I already knew you liked drums and your System One but I paused for a moment anyway...As far as a nicely finished wooden rack for it Drugolf, I think the metal keeps it sort of high tech. I think when it was new, most things Nakamichi were very cutting edge and high tech.

I still say nothing looks better than with these components out of the rack and sitting at their natural 45 degree slant next to each other. I wish I had the room! Only the timer would not work this way.

Anyway Valveglow, RLRRLRLL...I’m now learning to play double bass...
Keep at it man!! You've got to love ALL this stuff! Audio, drums, etc!! 20170405_135026.jpg

Luddys too, cool rack...

20170131_153010.jpg 20170131_153138.jpg Thanks. (Please permit this brief exchange of drum talk, since we both have Nakamichi System Ones in our rooms). They are the new Legacy Mahogany thin 3 ply shells like the ones they made in the 50s and early 60s, but now with modern hardware. Nickel Sparkle finish. 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18, 14x26. Snare is a Ludwig 100 Anniversary Hammered Black Beauty with upgraded strainer (stock from factory) 6 1/2 x 14. Set has grown a bit since the pic but don't have anything current. Biggest change is that Matt Bettis 24" Med thin ride has been shifted to the right to make room for the 30.3" 60s Zildjian Ride, which makes that 26" bass look like an 18! Rack and hardware courtesy of Gibraltar. Mics are Audix. 20180207_122711.jpg

Wow, really really nice! Last month I got a private tour of the DW factory in Oxnard. Amazing to watch quality drums being created from scratch. No doubt my vintage Ludwigs were state of the art in 69 when I bought them. Next kit may be DW?! The DW marketing manager and I had a nice discussion about my vintage McIntosh gear also.

Btw Flashbak, where did you find the pic of SAE gear? I had always hoped to acquire a nice rack of SAE gear but so far I only have an equalizer I bought in 1972.

Wow, really really nice! Last month I got a private tour of the DW factory in Oxnard. Amazing to watch quality drums being created from scratch. No doubt my vintage Ludwigs were state of the art in 69 when I bought them. Next kit may be DW?! The DW marketing manager and I had a nice discussion about my vintage McIntosh gear also.

DW is a great company. I have one DW holdover on this kit, an 8" Maple Piccolo Tom before they switched them to steel and made them in Asia. The DW set I am selling is great looking and sounding, yet the Ludwigs just blow them away; there really is no comparison whatsoever. The 3 ply Mahogany sounds just HUGE. I remember a 1 ply, steam bent Craviotto snare I had sounding huge too. The DWs, though quite good, sound almost as though they had some type of EQ and limiter applied to them. I remember a similar feeling about the excellent Yamaha drums also.

Having said that, all my pedals, hi hat, and cymbal boom arms are DW, as is my drum throne. I have never found any better. If I am not mistaken, DW owns Gibraltar also. I have these double pedals and high hat stand from their direct drive 9000 series:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjcouDqrZ_eAhXwRt8KHar0BmQQ9aACCEY&adurl=

Back
Top Bottom