Name the LOUDEST concert(s) you have attended, (venue does not matter)

jcamero

Who are you people anyway?
I have 2. THE RAMONES, late 1975 in a medium sized club in Rockford IL called "Blue Suede Shoes" the other Steve Marriot, (Humble Pie/Small Faces) fame. In a small club in Rockford IL called "The Great Illinois Purchase". For Steve's concert, it was so loud, I actually tore up a dollar bill and stuffed it in my ears for protection. One thing I remember about Steve's concert, someone walked up to him between songs with at least 5 shots of JD on a tray. He downed all, and went into his next song. The Ramones were just LOUD, no talk between songs, just 1-2-3-4, awesome! :music:

Mountain (at Fillmore East)....now I know why Felix Pappalardi lost his hearing....

Deep Purple (@ The Fast Lane, Asbury Park NJ)....that was a real assault on your senses....we were sticking cigarette filters in our ears.

Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels Tour" (NYC) In Living Colour opened for the Stones....whoever was running the mixing board for them must have been drunk, the sound was horrible. The Stones were better....

I saw Tangerine Dream somewhere around 83-84 at the Warner Theater and the show was astonishingly clean and OMG loud -
MUCH louder than the T.Dream show at Lisner Auditorium back in April '77!!

Previous loudest show I ever saw was Jeff Beck with BBA around 73-74 at McDonough Arena at Georgetown U

Last edited:
Tame Impala, Granada Theater, Dallas, 2/13. i had earplugs, but they were nowhere near enough to protect me from the sonic blast. it was a masochistic beat down, like being in a bomb shelter with the roof blown off during a raid. incredible. i made it through 5 or 6 tunes before common sense took over and i left.

I'm a walking talking poster boy for badly damaged ears, from loud concerts. The cumulative effects finally broke the camels back in 1990, when a Burning Spear concert left my right ear severely mangled. It still rings at 13khz, to this day. Its also steeply attenuated, compared to the left.

Led Zepplin at the LA Forum very loud, Deep Purple at the Long Beach Arena even louder, but Walter Trout in a small club in Carbon Canyon drove me outside - loudest.

Loudest band I've seen would have to be Slayer, in 1991 at the Colosseum, Vancouver, BC. "Clash of the Titans" was the name of the tour.
Alice in Chains, Megadeth, & Athrax were also touring with Slayer.

Slayer's most recent release at the time was "South of Heaven"
It was a bombastic show!

George Thorogood at the Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas on the Move It On Over tour. Ears rang for two days straight.

Eric Burden >> ZZ Top >> Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds Speedway Summer of '74

6/13/1974
Oklahoma City, OK, Fairgrounds Speedway
ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Burdon

Actually maybe ZZ Top did have top bill...

great concert at any rate. You could feel the music pound you in the chest coming and feel it bouncing back at you off the stadium behind you. We were sitting on the hard dirt racetrack.

Cheers,
Wayne

http://home.comcast.net/~gv0000/MTB_Gig_List.pdf

Genesis Lamb Lies Down Tour in the dome at Allendale, Michigan.

The band actually cracked the dome ... a few patches were tried, but it came down for good not much later. Not necessarily VOLUME (although it was loud), but the bass was freakin' incredible and definitely made the heart go pity pat (thump thump) pat ... there was also a rock slide in a gulley behind the auditorium ... I figure they get bonus points for that ... <G>

* Also nominated for my BEST concert ever!! They did the entire album, start to finish. Dead silence when the last notes played as we all caught our collective breath, then total pandemonium ...

And just when we thought it couldn't get any better, they came out with an encore of Watchers and The Knife!

PS ... they also played the Orbit Room on that tour in Grand Rapids ... capacity around 1100.

musical-box.jpg

They apparently had a thing for a local dj who was the first to break them into regular airplay in the US market.

Last edited:
Funk Festival at the Dallas Cotton Bowl in '79. Many bands played from noon until 1:00am. Bootsy's Rubber Band, Rick James, Parlet', Gap Band, & Parliament blew out our eardrums! :D

Rome

Led Zepplin at the LA Forum very loud, Deep Purple at the Long Beach Arena even louder, but Walter Trout in a small club in Carbon Canyon drove me outside - loudest.

I sat 6' in front of Walters guitar amp for many, many sessions, at Perqs, in Huntington Beach.
He was infamous for starting the show out by saying; Its my time to play real loud right now; and it you don't like it, then get the F' out!

He'd have people "sit in" with him for as long as they could take it.
Sitting in with Walter, meant grabbing a chair, and sit facing his amplifier from about 3' away. No one but himself could do it. He'd be there for four hours every gig. I'd probably rate as the second longest person to sit it out in front of his guitar at about 6' out, rather than the 3' sit-in depth.

Its ironic now that I think about it,... it's not my Walter ear (L) thats dogging me.

Last edited:
Saw Gov't Mule two nights in a row at the 9:30 Club. I was right in front of one of the main speakers and then-bassist Andy Hess' playing made my ears ring and shoulder hurt.

Since then I have always brought ear plugs along to have the option.

Don't get me wrong, Mule was great both nights.

Ramones and Allman Bros gigs were always express paths to temporary deafness as well.

Back
Top Bottom