Need advice on marco lens for canon EOS T5

embrown057

I have a canon 18-55mm lens now but it's not very good at taking close up of boards. Any suggestions for the best macro lens for the job? Any help would be great.

The best or very good?

The Canon 50mm f2.5 is very nice for getting close-ish. It's sharp at every aperture and doubles as a decent portrait lens. But when you need to get super close, getting light on the subject becomes an issue.

The various Tamron 90mm f2.8s are very nice for the price, esp if you buy used and again, makes a nice tighter portrait lens.

Either of these can be bought used in great condition from a good source for $200-ish or for closer to $350-$400 new.

But if you want the best, the Canon 180mm f3.5L is what you want. The 100mm is more versatile and adds IS, but the 180 is where it's at.

To do serious macro work, you will need a good tripod and a decent lighting setup.

Last edited:
It looks like the 50mm f2.5 is in my price range. When you say "close-ish, how close are you talking? I would like to be able to see high detail to pass on to my customers. The lighting thing, a real challenge here. I've come to discover no mater how many florescent lamps I use it's just not the right kind of light. I rely don't want to make the process too time consuming, just a good detailed video log. Any suggestions of some simple lighting also?

Again, are you going to be using a tripod and a soft box or just room lighting?

It's a true macro lens so it can focus almost with the lens about 2" away from the subject but at that point, lighting can be tricky depending on what you are shooting.

If you are, say 5" inches away, lighting is much easier to deal with that's the point at which a longer lens makes sense. We are talking a fly filling up the entire image here.

Something like a coin nearly filling up the image... you aren't going to have a problem.

What exactly will you be photographing?

Back
Top Bottom