Need assistance in choosing the right turntable

Go on eBay, try and get something like this nice little Sony, an inexpensive phono pre and you're all set.

View attachment 1166079
If you stay away from the super desirable models that people will go into a bidding war over, there are still good turntables like that one on Ebay that can be had for a reasonable price. The only down side is that you are at the mercy of the person packing it for shipping. That can turn out to be a disaster. I went through that once already.:no:

And that's why there are so many of them cluttering up the thrift stores, CL, and the landfills. People that don't know any better see them cheap, buy them, figure out how bad they suck (or they just quit working in short order), and then they dump them. Some items just aren't worth buying no matter how low the price tag is. I've learned that the hard way with certain things.

Yuuup. Little secret....I knew better but I bought one early this year as well. I think it was the catalyst for my re-entry into the HiFi hobby. I bought a nostalgia wood set (at a bargain price) from Marshalls...I think it was on clearance. I already had my old system in the house from years ago, yet I wanted a little thing for the bedroom corner. Well long story short, the Crosley was so cheap it went beyond my tolerance for equipment quality. I can tolerate the old BSRs because of their rock solid dependability, but I won't tolerate cheapness and disfunction. The Crosley wouldn't play on one channel, and when I'd wiggle the stylus it would play for a little while, then fade out again. It had a CD recorder (which was what attracted me) and a playback cassette deck, but the sound quality was lower than some alarm clocks that I owned, and if you sat by the unit closely enough then perhaps you could hear it play. I returned that thing a few days after, and thus my journey back into HiFi began!

Last edited:
Yuuup. Little secret....I knew better but I bought one early this year as well. I think it was the catalyst for my re-entry into the HiFi hobby. I bought a nostalgia wood set (at a bargain price) from Marshalls...I think it was on clearance. I already had my old system in the house from years ago, yet I wanted a little thing for the bedroom corner. Well long story short, the Crosley was so cheap it went beyond my tolerance for equipment quality. I can tolerate the old BSRs because of their rock solid dependability, but I won't tolerate cheapness and disfunction. The Crosley wouldn't play on one channel, and when I'd wiggle the stylus it would play for a little while, then fade out again. It had a CD recorder (which was what attracted me) and a playback cassette deck, but the sound quality was lower than some alarm clocks that I owned, and if you sat by the unit closely enough then perhaps you could hear it play. I returned that thing a few days after, and thus my journey back into HiFi began!
I suspect a lot of non-audiophiles hear people talking about "how great vinyl sounds." They go out and buy a cheap Crosley all in one, get it home, and wonder what all the hype about vinyl sound is about and risk damaging their records.However, that upper end Crosley does seem to be in a category outside the normal Crosley line.

I own 3 vintage tables and that is my go to for vinyl. IMHO, If you want a table that doesn't require some "fiddling," avoid vintage. Unless fully restored, they will likely need a little attention, at which point you won't get them super cheap. I got lucky on a couple Kenwoods, but even they needed pots cleaned, etc. The work was all doable with help from the internet, but if you are hesitant to 'crack' the case, vintage probably isn't for you.

Although I don't own one, I have been following the UTurn Orbit's development, and customer comments, etc. For the average person entering vinyl, I recommend the Orbit if you want an inexpensive, solid performer with great customer support.

And that's why there are so many of them cluttering up the thrift stores, CL, and the landfills. People that don't know any better see them cheap, buy them, figure out how bad they suck (or they just quit working in short order), and then they dump them.
So tell us how good your first record player was, and where did it end up?

You seem surprised that people outgrow an affordable, basic first record player. But isn't that the whole point of them? If it wasn't for the Crosleys and other cheap record players, the entry into the vinyl hobby would be much more expensive and more difficult, and a lot fewer people would bother with it.

To put things in perspective, 89% of all new turntables sold cost less than $250. The average selling price is under $80, and the top-selling brands are Victrola, Audio-Technica (thanks to the LP60), Crosley, Jensen, and Sony (thanks to their LP60-based PS-LX300USB).

I suspect a lot of non-audiophiles hear people talking about "how great vinyl sounds." They go out and buy a cheap Crosley all in one, get it home, and wonder what all the hype about vinyl sound is about and risk damaging their records.However, that upper end Crosley does seem to be in a category outside the normal Crosley line.

I own 3 vintage tables and that is my go to for vinyl. IMHO, If you want a table that doesn't require some "fiddling," avoid vintage. Unless fully restored, they will likely need a little attention, at which point you won't get them super cheap. I got lucky on a couple Kenwoods, but even they needed pots cleaned, etc. The work was all doable with help from the internet, but if you are hesitant to 'crack' the case, vintage probably isn't for you.

Although I don't own one, I have been following the UTurn Orbit's development, and customer comments, etc. For the average person entering vinyl, I recommend the Orbit if you want an inexpensive, solid performer with great customer support.

Yep, that's why I was in such a hurry to return the Crosley. I know exactly how good vinyl can sound with excellent equipment and wattage. To think that I gave in to a moment's weakness by buying a 2-watt unit (a cheap one at that) irks me even now.

Edit: I know exactly what you mean with "fiddling" and Vintage. Even the best vintage sets may need attention or servicing. I got a taste of that this year as well on my re-entry. I tell you, even fixing a good set is mega miles superior than tolerating a cheap set like a Crosley (sorry for bashing but its my HO).

Last edited:
Post #25, I can see your point as well as Beat_Truck's point. It doesn't harm anyone by buying a Crosley as a "training set." The fact of the matter is, that there are a lot of HiFi equipment sets available that would bury a Crosley in sound and quality, for not much more than a Crosley would ask for in retail. One problem for a novice is getting the information about certain products so as to shop wisely. Another set of problems involves time, money and circumstances. I don't frown on anyone buying a cheap set, but I advise people to "shop around." Its an old adage, but it is ever so true today than it was in yesteryear.

So tell us how good your first record player was, and where did it end up?

You seem surprised that people outgrow an affordable, basic first record player. But isn't that the whole point of them? If it wasn't for the Crosleys and other cheap record players, the entry into the vinyl hobby would be much more expensive and more difficult, and a lot fewer people would bother with it.

To put things in perspective, 89% of all new turntables sold cost less than $250. The average selling price is under $80, and the top-selling brands are Victrola, Audio-Technica (thanks to the LP60), Crosley, Jensen, and Sony (thanks to their LP60-based PS-LX300USB).
My first was likely a Fisher Price or something with a BSR changer. I don't remember (or care) at this point.

I'm not surprised that people outgrow their first record player. It's the fact that a lot of the offerings today are such piss poor quality garbage that aren't hardly worth owning at any price.

By the way, the BSR I had would likely be still working as it did when new, with some fresh lubrication. I know as I've recently refurbished several. And those old Fisher Price record players were damn near bullet proof. Most of the time they still work when I see them today. How many Crosleys, Ions, Jensens, faux Victrolas etc will still be working when they get that old? Most won't even exist anymore. (Hopefully)

Last edited:
My first turntable was a belt-drive p-mount Technics.

If I had kept it for the last almost 30 years, it would probably still be functioning to this day.

I've purchased at least a half dozen turntables on eBay without issues, and if there were any Ebay's great buyer protection policy would have taken care of it. As for needing fiddling, none required more that properly setting up the stylus/cartridge and performed like new, and are still spinning now.

Those Sonys are built like tanks and will most likely still be making music long after I'm gone. Sure it's a starter table, but that's what the OP is looking for, and if numbers are important their specs are not too shabby, actually they're excellent.

The best "bang for your buck" is going to be a 1970's or 1980's fully manual Japanese turntable. They were well built and reliable. Don't get hung up on any particular brand. Regarding craigslist, you have to be somewhat patient, you can also check ebay for listings in your area.

Pfantone, Realistic, Olson, etc. "phono pre-amps" are available on ebay for $15.00 to $25.00. If you're patient and smart, you'll be able to do this for your $150.00 budget...:thumbsup:
Very much agreed with malden here (he may be shocked to hear this!) although I'd say it doesn't ncessarily have to be fully manual and it's worth splurging for the $49 ART DJ Pre II preamp if you can.

Where are you located? If you were local here, I could get you fixed up in a jif with a warranty to boot. Wherever you are, it would help see if there is an AK'er around who might have a reliable spare deck or let you know where you might find one. Preferable to eBay as you'll save money on shipping and reduce the risk of damage in transport.

+ 2 (or 3?) for the ART DJPre II phono preamp. Which leaves you just over $100 for a turntable. Which means it will likely be a rather lightweight plasticky model.
Leave $5-10 of your budget for plasticine, to dampen and add mass to the underside of the platter (in my experience, slight out of balance of the platter does not accelerate bearing wear by much, and actually helps the motor spin), underside of the chassis, and on the base. Add plasticine in a few stages, a little at a time, to listen to how it affects the sound.

I'm not surprised that people outgrow their first record player. It's the fact that a lot of the offerings today are such piss poor quality garbage that aren't hardly worth owning at any price.
That's selective memory -- just like people who say that music from [insert decade here] was better than today's music. They're forgetting all the garbage that was forgotten forever as soon as it dropped off the Top 40 chart. (Disco Duck, anyone?)

A GE Wildcat or Emerson Swingmate from the '60s or '70s may have been heavier and contained more metal parts than a Crosley Cruiser or Jensen JTA-230 or today, but that doesn't necessarily mean they sounded any better or were any gentler to the grooves.

In fact, if you want to talk about a record player that literally did ruin records in just one play, the kiddie toy acoustic phonographs from the likes of Vanity Fair hung around a lot longer than they had any right to:

That's selective memory -- just like people who say that music from [insert decade here] was better than today's music. They're forgetting all the garbage that was forgotten forever as soon as it dropped off the Top 40 chart. (Disco Duck, anyone?)

A GE Wildcat or Emerson Swingmate from the '60s or '70s may have been heavier and contained more metal parts than a Crosley Cruiser or Jensen JTA-230 or today, but that doesn't necessarily mean they sounded any better or were any gentler to the grooves.

In fact, if you want to talk about a record player that literally did ruin records in just one play, the kiddie toy acoustic phonographs from the likes of Vanity Fair hung around a lot longer than they had any right to:

I'm fully aware that low end products have always been around, and have seen those acoustic kiddie record grinders. I'd gladly take a Wildcat or Swingmate over a POS Crosley Cruiser or Jensen any day, though. I know neither is good for record life or sound, but I sure know which is built better. I do honestly believe that older music was better overall, too.

No offense, but I've been playing with records, record players, and other electronics since I was old enough to walk, basically. You're not likely to tell me much I don't already know. I'm not some newbie looking for advice on Youtube.:rolleyes:

Feel free to use the ignore button if you don't like what I have to say.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
My first "official" turntable was given to me by pop when I was a freshman in high school. It was a Garrard GT15, which still remains with me. One day I'll refurbish it.

No offense, but I've been playing with records, record players, and other electronics since I was old enough to walk, basically. You're not likely to tell me much I don't already know. I'm not some newbie looking for advice on Youtube.:rolleyes:

Feel free to use the ignore button if you don't like what I have to say.:thumbsup:

I thought we were having a respectful discussion. No need to get personal and escalate things so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom